Covid BB Talk

Coffee talk.
Cascadia

Re: Covid BB Talk

Post by Cascadia »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:57 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:52 pm youre by far the worst human here. congrats.
I’d say it’s a three way tie - two of whom I have on Ignore.
You two deserve each other
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

oh good...another boiler plate response. I think you used that one this morning...or yesterday perhaps.
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:37 pm
JKLivin wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:11 pm I think people need to be allowed to make their own decisions re: vaccines. They just also need to be willing to live with the consequences.

Case in point, one of my college roommates died of COVID Friday night at age 51. He was asthmatic - not his choice - but he was also 100 pounds overweight, had chronic untreated high blood pressure, and refused the vax - all his choices. I will miss him, and I feel like it is a senseless waste of life, but he chose his outcome.
I'm sorry to read about your college roommate.
Why do you state he died "of COVID" if he was asthmatic, overweight, and had high blood pressure?
Not trying to be snide by asking that. I'm trying to understand why so many people don't feel Covid is a valid cause of death if/when people have/had other conditions.
I have a friend who seriously insists that Covid hasn't killed anyone and that ONLY people who were "sick" with other issues are the ones who have died WITH (not of) it.

P.S. Like your roommate, I have lung issues, I'm overweight, and I have high blood pressure. Even though I am "fully vaccinated", I still worry my conditions may do me in if I contract Covid. Not to the point of paranoia but I feel I would be foolish if I chose to minimize what contracting Covid could potentially do to me.
I think COVID hastened his death. He would not have lived into his seventies without COVID in the picture. I wish he would have gotten the vaccine.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:56 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:46 pm vaccinated people are still catching and spreading the virus. probably more than 1000 times.

im not advocating not getting the vaccine I'm simply saying the vaccine isn't the silver bullet.
It depends on what the goalposts are. Eradicating the virus? No, no silver bullet exists.

Living with COVID as close to normal as possible? The vaccine really IS the silver bullet. Or at least the only one we are going to have for quite some time and probably ever.
Have you read much about the US Army vaccine that's close to ready to go? Pretty fun/wild stuff.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:05 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:56 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:46 pm vaccinated people are still catching and spreading the virus. probably more than 1000 times.

im not advocating not getting the vaccine I'm simply saying the vaccine isn't the silver bullet.
It depends on what the goalposts are. Eradicating the virus? No, no silver bullet exists.

Living with COVID as close to normal as possible? The vaccine really IS the silver bullet. Or at least the only one we are going to have for quite some time and probably ever.
Have you read much about the US Army vaccine that's close to ready to go? Pretty fun/wild stuff.
Haven't read much but know they made one that vaccinates against many different coronaviruses. Which, makes sense to me while not being a scientist at all.

The Pfizer treatment pill is also going to help out.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Hmmm…..I have gone over at least some of the clinical data on both the Pfizer and the Merck Covid pills and discussed them with my clinical science colleagues (in case it hasn’t registered to some, I work in the pharmaceutical industry and my job involves supplying medicine for clinical trials). It’s pretty scary, the side effects. There’s little to no long term effects of any vaccine but these mess with how the replication machinery works. There’s a lot we don’t know.

A good comparison would be the difference between early cancer chemotherapeutic agents and modern target-based anti cancer medicines. The former basically flooded the body with poison under the assumption that cancer cells replicated very rapidly and therefore took up the cytotoxics faster than healthy cells. If we lost some healthy cells that would be an acceptable cost of treatment. We have come a long way from there. But the new Covid drugs take an analogous approach with the replication pathway.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

It’s been said before and I’ll say it again. The best analogy for being vaccinated (personal choice vs not) is the same as for drunk driving. You’re doing it as much for the benefit of others as much as for yourself. No, driving drunk or not is NOT a personal choice.

That not-drunk people still get into accidents and some die as a result is no reason that one can have a personal choice to drive drunk. Vaccination is EXACTLY the same. That some vaccinated people get infected is no reason to leave it to individuals to make that decision as much as we leave it to each individual whether or not they can drive drunk
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

We eventually have to begin accepting natural immunity as immunity though, right?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

OnceUponaHawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:11 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:56 pm We eventually have to begin accepting natural immunity as immunity though, right?
Everyone already does who understands science.
That leaves out at least 5 folks on here
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is an example of why this is in Off Topic. Otherwise this would be on the BB Bored. I dont want this on the BB Bored.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:56 pm We eventually have to begin accepting natural immunity as immunity though, right?
Natural immunity is a better defense than the vaccine. The vaccine is a better defense than nothing

But the vaccine just isn't as good as we had hoped for. A really large amount of people are vaccinated. It hasn't fixed this. People need to fuck off with the vaccine mandates rules and coercion. Its not a strong enough vaccine. And even if the vaccine was perfect, it shouldn't be required by any organization. The average immune system is naturally equipped to take on covid
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:45 pm This is an example of why this is in Off Topic. Otherwise this would be on the BB Bored. I dont want this on the BB Bored.
I genuinely appreciate the mods trying to separate covid and basketball
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Covid and basketball shouldn't be linked. The ncaa has no problem selling out arenas and making millions. All the ncaa cares about is protecting their image in a politically insecure world.

Covid isn't affecting these 20 year old athletes. They are all healthy. These games getting cancelled is absolute horse shit. Let the kids play
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

zsn wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:10 pm

It’s been said before and I’ll say it again. The best analogy for being vaccinated (personal choice vs not) is the same as for drunk driving. You’re doing it as much for the benefit of others as much as for yourself. No, driving drunk or not is NOT a personal choice.

That not-drunk people still get into accidents and some die as a result is no reason that one can have a personal choice to drive drunk. Vaccination is EXACTLY the same. That some vaccinated people get infected is no reason to leave it to individuals to make that decision as much as we leave it to each individual whether or not they can drive drunk
Its a shitty fucking analogy still. Doesnt even come close to relating to a completely different situation. The majority of accidents are sober people FYI. Drunk driving only accounts for a small percent. Unless you are proposing to take all cars off the rod
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm still waiting for the government funded suppository for +5 enlightenment
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

OnceUponaHawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:34 pm Randy, just take your 17th booster and you will be safe.
Randy doesn’t need it because he’s gotten Covid 3 times.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:30 pm Covid and basketball shouldn't be linked. The ncaa has no problem selling out arenas and making millions. All the ncaa cares about is protecting their image in a politically insecure world.

Covid isn't affecting these 20 year old athletes. They are all healthy. These games getting cancelled is absolute horse shit. Let the kids play
First off, it's not just about the players when we discuss why the games are being canceled.
Are you someone who struggles to comprehend that if you catch the virus it's not only about you?
Second, for you to say it's not affecting them and "they are all healthy" just isn't true. Unless you are only referring to those who are "asymptomatic".

It's affecting many athletes and here are just a few examples.

“It hasn’t been good. That jawn hit me hard,” Embiid said. “I really thought I wasn’t going to make it. It was that bad". Embiid added of his COVID-19 bout that he "couldn't breathe" at times and had headaches "worse than a migraine."

Tommy Sweeney of the Buffalo Bills was one of the first NFL players to develop a season-ending condition from Covid complications. He developed myocarditis, which is inflammation of the heart muscle. This is often developed after viral infections and goes undetected in many people.

Ryquell Armstead has been hospitalized twice and has suffered from a variety of complications connected to the virus, including significant respiratory issues, and has been hit harder than some expected.

Durr didn’t experience many problems during the initial isolation period. But the severe symptoms hit shortly thereafter. Pain in her lungs so bad she felt someone was stabbing her in the chest. Headaches that throbbed in her eyes. Vomiting. Coughing up blood. She’s making progress — she’s now capable of engaging in long conversations with friends or taking part in family dinners without distress — but estimates she lost more than 30 pounds, so bedridden near the end of 2020 that walking back and forth to her refrigerator was too much.

Tatum, a 23-year-old Boston Celtics star, missed five games after being infected in January, slumped in February and recently revealed he has started to use an inhaler for the first time in his life to open up his lungs before games.

“I knew I was young and healthy,” said Boselli, 22. “I play Division 1 football, and I’ve been training my butt off all winter and spring. I thought I had no worries. I wasn’t going to get it.”
That bullish attitude faded days later, when he awoke feeling sluggish and short of breath. That night, his body temperature climbed to 104.
“It was the sickest I’ve ever felt,” said Boselli, who continued to feel shortness of breath and fatigue for about week and a half.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So the ku vs tcu game is being postponed. Despite both teams being 100 percent vaccinated... hmmm.... something isn't adding up here guys? Where's my vaccine people at
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

randylahey wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:47 pm So the ku vs tcu game is being postponed. Despite both teams being 100 percent vaccinated... hmmm.... something isn't adding up here guys? Where's my vaccine people at
aren't you the loser who is good buds with DCHawk and PsychoHawk? makes sense that you're the dumbest motherfucker on this website
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

I'll be a dam*ed...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...