Millennials didn’t kill the economy

Ugh.
JKLivin
Contributor

Re: Millennials didn’t kill the economy

Post by JKLivin »

ProudBoy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:14 am
Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:19 pm What does pot have to do with that? Makes you sound like a typical whiny boomer.
Absolutely nothing. He’s just showing his true colors.
That drug abuse is ridiculous and unhealthy? That relying on mind-altering substances to deal with life is weak and pitiful? Guilty as charged.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:18 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 am
JKLivin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:14 am

Nothing. It’s just silly to do those things and then cry poverty, marginalization, and lack of opportunity. But, that’s the local zeitgeist, so . . .
Please supply evidence to support your claim.
Qusdahls posting history is all the evidence you need.

He's on here 15 hours a day. He can't possibly work hard for whoever he works for. Lord knows I don't.
On here 15 hours a day and whining that he doesn’t wake enough money at his low-level resort attendee job. Typical.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Way to go Ousdahl! What 70k SUV you driving these days brother? Also, love that commitment to drive 100+ miles each way to get to Whole Foods. So worth it. Wish these poor folk knew what the good life was all about.

Crushing life bro!
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

unfortunately I am around millennials often. there are some that are not completely worthless. some.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

unfortunately I am around boomers often. there are some that are not completely worthless. some.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

unfortunately I am around white people often. there are some that are not completely worthless. some.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:17 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:09 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:10 am lol, what's wrong with shopping at Trader Joes or Whole Foods and owning a $70k SUV?

Sounds like somebody is jealous.
The best part of his post is that my guess is he's never been in a Trader Joe's nor does he realize it is considered a "lower end" (or at least "lower price") grocery store in many parts of the country.
Of course I’ve been Trader Joe’s. If you had read the article, it was lamenting that Millennials were reduced to shopping at places like Wal-Mart, which is the type of store where most people shop.

You should really stick to your areas of expertise. If I need tips on how to use COVID as an excuse to avoid work and have more time to screw around in California, I’ll be sure to let you know.

I read the article.
I assume this is what you are referring to.....
The proof? Consumers ages 25 to 34 are spending less at traditional grocers than their parents’ generation did in 1990. Seems pretty damning. BUT UPON CLOSER EXAMINATION, the stagnation of grocery stores is a complex story that implicates JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY. AMERICANS OF ALL AGES are relying more on convenience stores, such as CVS, and superstores, such as Walmart, for food to eat at home, and those institutions aren’t typically counted as grocers in government data.

As far as your continuous digs at me, you probably don't want to continue to go there. I can and will destroy you in that regard.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:36 am unfortunately I am around white people often. there are some that are not completely worthless. some.
Weird flex, but ok.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

everything is about race dude. just gotta follow the manual and work it into every scenario.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:59 am everything is about race dude. just gotta follow the manual and work it into every scenario.
He's such a cultured rural Kansan and PNWer.

WokeAF
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 am
Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:19 pm What does pot have to do with that? Makes you sound like a typical whiny boomer.
That drug abuse is ridiculous and unhealthy? That relying on mind-altering substances to deal with life is weak and pitiful? Guilty as charged.
Sometimes I find it difficult to engage in a conversation with you but I'm still going to try.

6 simple quick questions.
1. If someone has a beer or two or even three after work, are they an alcoholic in your mind?
2. If someone smokes a joint or a few hits of weed to "unwind", are they a drug abuser in your mind?
3. Do you feel marijuana is more dangerous to a person's health than alcohol?
4. Do you feel most (not all, not some) addicts enjoy being drug addicts?
5. Have you ever personally taken and/or have you prescribed a prescription "psych med"?
6. What do you do for a living and what are your qualifications?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

First my bonifides, because without them, you really can’t speak to anything. I am a Boomer, my wife is Gen X ( if only she were Asian my bonifide score would go waaaay the fuck up, but sadly….she is not) my oldest daughter is a Millennial and my youngest is Gen Z and my parents were in the Silent Generation.

FUCK YEAH!

NAILED IT!

Every one of those groups at some point turned 30 and looked at the pile of burning ashes around them which caused a level of despair for their future and blamed the generation before them. The onlyest thing dumber is to generalize any of these “generations/eras” as a homogeneous mass.

You could try to generalize by looking at someone’s childhood socio-economic group and geography, but anomalies are more common than you think. Defix started out on a farm with a religious family, went to college on a baseball scholarship, it just doesn’t get more All American than that. But then he chucks it all away and sails to Africa on a tramp steamer then moves to SF, discovers drugs, becomes a roadie for Flipper, becomes a member of the British Death Fleet Motorcycle Gang and has been circling the drain ever since. A more successful, less materialistic and happier person would be hard to find.

And drug use? Oh, for fuck’s sake. Humans have been trying to avoid reality/expand their consciousness/change their state of mind for thousands of years by ingesting something, anything that makes them feel bigger, better, than they do “normally”. Some people ingest weed and some ingest rage/anger/jealousy. To each their own.

And material acquisition often comes down to what you value. My wife always lived in small rundown houses that she builds up while she lives there. She finds furnishings in dumpsters and sinks in salvage yards, has never bought a new car and she loves her avocado toast. It’s her little luxury, she saved money on things she doesn’t value for those that she does. My youngest is a school teacher and drives a beater car and lives over a pet food store and her cell phone is so old she has to keep it plugged in all the time and has a small orchestra worth of musical instruments in her one room apartment. She sits there at night writing music and recording multiple tracks, playing every instrument herself. If she didn’t buy so many instruments or so much music she could afford a “nicer” apartment. But her place is a great music studio and that is what she values in her living quarters. Defix loves his table saws.

In any generation there is a lot of diversity, cuz that is how peoples works. We are all a product of our experiences and the people around us and places we have been. The more in common you have in those three things, the more you have in common with and understand other people regardless of their “generation”.

What’s my point?

FUCK YOU ALL!

Boomers own YOU, WE have all the money and buildings and the best drugs. WE earned IT!

WE rule the world and we are gonna burn this mutha to the ground on our way out the door leaving nothing behind but a haze of sour diesel fumes for you to choke on!

So get over it bitches.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:40 am
JKLivin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 am
Sometimes I find it difficult to engage in a conversation with you but I'm still going to try.

6 simple quick questions.
1. If someone has a beer or two or even three after work, are they an alcoholic in your mind?
2. If someone smokes a joint or a few hits of weed to "unwind", are they a drug abuser in your mind?
3. Do you feel marijuana is more dangerous to a person's health than alcohol?
4. Do you feel most (not all, not some) addicts enjoy being drug addicts?
5. Have you ever personally taken and/or have you prescribed a prescription "psych med"?
6. What do you do for a living and what are your qualifications?
I am a PhD psychologist who works full-time in academia and part-time in the clinical world. I have twenty years of experience in clinical work, including stints working inpatient substance abuse treatment and as the clinical director of an outpatient clinic for people addicted to opioids.

Not all prescription psych meds are equivalent. All seem to have some sort of discontinuation syndrome associated with them, but some, like benzodiazepines, are extremely addictive. They have their place when taken under the supervision of a prescribing medical professional, but are also widely abused and/or misused.

By definition, alcoholism (or substance dependence of any kind) is when someone uses more than they want or intend to use despite efforts to stop or unwanted negative consequences associated with use of the substance. So, no, someone who has a beer or three after work is not an alcoholic. Of greater concern is substance abuse, wherein one uses the substance to deal with life and it becomes a substitute for healthy coping mechanisms. That can lead to dependence.

No one I have ever met or worked with enjoyed being an addict. It is an insidious disease, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It ruins lives and destroys families in ways most people can't imagine. The problem is, addiction is a slippery slope for a percentage of the population. They may start out binge drinking on the weekends or taking a few bong hits after work to unwind, but it leads to other substances and behaviors that contribute to an unhealthy lifestyle. I've lost track of how many stories I have heard in therapy about starting off taking a hit off a joint or drinking at a party in high school and end with giving blowjobs in cars in the parking lot of the methadone clinic so they can get their fix to get them through the day. It's heartbreaking.

Inhaling smoke of any variety is not good for your lungs. High levels of THC lead to hormone imbalances in men. THC leads to amotivational syndrome, which is rampant in the culture today. I've spent years listening to addicts argue that they should be able to quit the meth and the coke and the benzos, but keep smoking weed: "It's an herb, man. God made the plants, right?!?" And maybe that works for some people, but for most, recovery is an all-or-nothing lifestyle change. The frequent flyers in inpatient treatment programs are the ones who leave with the "I can have one beer" or "I can still smoke weed" mindset.

They always come back because they never address the root problem, which is that life is unfair, painful, and inconvenient sometimes, and there is no valid way to escape those realities. You either learn to deal with them or you hide behind substances and slowly kill yourself. Or you spend 15 hours a day lamenting your lack of social, financial, and vocational success on a message board and advocating for a complete overthrow of the social order because you aren't happy with your life decisions to this point and are unwilling to do anything to make it better.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:59 am everything is about race dude. just gotta follow the manual and work it into every scenario.
He's such a cultured rural Kansan and PNWer.

WokeAF
#WokeGotcha
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So when you say “sour diesel fumes” is that a reference to fossil fuel emissions, or your superior boomer drugs?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I suppose the question to ask, and I’m genuinely asking is:

Are millennials unique in that, unlike other generations, their wealth really isn’t growing as much as they’re getting older?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

there are roughly 13 malcontents that post regular on this site. 1/4-1/3 claim to be a phd scientist knowitall. that's amazing. what are the odds.

i'm skeptical.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:11 am And I suppose the question to ask, and I’m genuinely asking is:

Are millennials unique in that, unlike other generations, their wealth really isn’t growing as much as they’re getting older?
Is that accurate?

I don't know. Completely anecdotally it's not - pretty much all the Millennials I know are growing wealth as they're growing older. But, yeah, I don't know the statistics on that.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:10 am So when you say “sour diesel fumes” is that a reference to fossil fuel emissions, or your superior boomer drugs?
Break up with her.