Car rentals

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Car rentals

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 pm I hugged a bunch of trees.
fuckin hippy
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:35 am
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 pm I hugged a bunch of trees.
fuckin hippy
well...to be fair....the trees hug you in the hoh. It'd be rude not to hug them back...and you dont want to piss off that many trees...
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

digitalkookie wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:25 pmTuro?
I've used Turo and was pleased with it.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I don’t mean to pimp the Hoh, but that’s a truly special place. (ETA enough for me to wanna drop some cash on a car rental just to go take it all in again!)

Perhaps the most awesome and unique landscape in the world. At least in the lower 48. Maybe Joshua Tree comes close, but in a different way.

Either way, not a lot of temperate rain forests around. Ferns, growing on moss, growing on every vine and tree. It’s hard to comprehend how green it all is.

Then the emerald turquoise glacial-fed streams. It’s just a magical looking landscape.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am
I don't like it. I'm fine with Hertz. It's sort of like Panera. It's generally consistent and fine and predictable and everywhere.

I've used Turo when I want something in particular for a day or two when I'm already somewhere.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

One nice thing about Turo is that you can guarantee exactly what kind of vehicle you're getting. So, if ous wants to make sure he gets a 4WD SUV, Turo is the best way to go.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:40 am
JKLivin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am
I don't like it. I'm fine with Hertz. It's sort of like Panera. It's generally consistent and fine and predictable and everywhere.

I've used Turo when I want something in particular for a day or two when I'm already somewhere.
I used it out of necessity in Hawaii last June when a flood of tourists descended on the island and the car companies had, like, twelve cars between them. It cost an arm and a leg, but we got to see everything we wanted to see and didn’t have to subsist on snacks from the hotel vending machines.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am One nice thing about Turo is that you can guarantee exactly what kind of vehicle you're getting. So, if ous wants to make sure he gets a 4WD SUV, Turo is the best way to go.
You mean you don't like when you ask for a 4WD pickup and you end up with an Escalade?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am One nice thing about Turo is that you can guarantee exactly what kind of vehicle you're getting. So, if ous wants to make sure he gets a 4WD SUV, Turo is the best way to go.
Right; we're going to Hawaii next week, and might get an open-everything Jeep for a day or two, just to fool around.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:47 am
You mean you don't like when you ask for a 4WD pickup and you end up with an Escalade?
Literally the fucking worst
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am
Right; we're going to Hawaii next week, and might get an open-everything Jeep for a day or two, just to fool around.
I know you have kids so this probably isn't feasible for you, but I've done this and it's one of (if not the best) vacation I've ever been on. I had Black Boar

https://kauaioverlander.com/vehicles
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 pm
I know you have kids so this probably isn't feasible for you, but I've done this and it's one of (if not the best) vacation I've ever been on. I had Black Boar

You think I'd bring my kids???
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You say that as if I’d ever rent anything besides an Escalade.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 pm
Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 pm

You think I'd bring my kids???
My Man!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:14 pm
You say that as if I’d ever rent anything besides an Escalade.
So, nearly ten years ago now, I went to a wedding in Missoula. I flew into Spokane, and had rented, I don't know, a Camry. I'm running late, and am in the wedding so this is a problem. Three hour drive.*

The lady says I have a complimentary upgrade, hands me a pair of keys and sends me to the very very very tip of the (narrow) Hertz lot. You guess it - Escalade.

Which is, in a way, great! But not in a miles per gallon way. Damn upgrade probably cost me $100.

Parts of which are the most gorgeous drive I've ever taken.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ohhh.

Yeah, that western MT area is fantastic.

I had a friend visit here and showed up in some sweet decked out Jeep.

Asked him if he splooged, and he said no, he just got the economy compact sedan. After an hour of trying to upsell him in the parking lot, “come on you’re on vacation in CO why not splooge on a jeep,” no thanks just please give me the keys to my economy sedan, the dood finally admitted “actually we’re all sold out of economy sedans, just take the damn jeep”
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I've been upgraded several times, they never tried to sell me on it first.

Best was at a meeting in Lake Tahoe when I got a Dodge Charger, it was a lot of fun on those windy mountain roads, and of course, when it's not your car and you have the insurance, it makes it more fun.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Which island?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Similar story to fish: Had to use Enterprise b/c they were the only ones that had cars left--they employ mostly ex-D1 athletes whom are trained and naturally equipped to aggressively upsell. Told the guy I was driving from DEN to Cripple Creek and his aggressive upsell was an Escalade for that ride. What?

Then in central Illinois, the only car left was a Chrysler 300 and there was an ice storm expected. Got stuck in the hotel parking lot/ice rink.

Now that I think of it, what a headache of an industry.