You know that.
You're just an asshole.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Joe Rogan

Post by zsn »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 am I dont disagree with his response:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/2291 ... ll-spotify
Wrong answer. In an argument between a flatearther and a normal person we don’t accept that flatearther’s “reformation” when (s)he accepts a compromise position that the earth may be a cylinder: flat on the ends and round in the middle. With regards to the Covid situation Rogan is a flatearther. He should be treated as such, until he offers an unconditional apology to the biomedical community.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

zsn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 am
pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 am I dont disagree with his response:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/2291 ... ll-spotify
Wrong answer. In an argument between a flatearther and a normal person we don’t accept that flatearther’s “reformation” when (s)he accepts a compromise position that the earth may be a cylinder: flat on the ends and round in the middle. With regards to the Covid situation Rogan is a flatearther. He should be treated as such, until he offers an unconditional apology to the biomedical community.
Exactly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd rather have Neil Young and Joni Mitchell on Spotify because I actually listen to them.

Regardless of topic, I tend to side with allowing people to speak, as long as they arent intentionally being dangerous or arent just solely trying to troll.

Rogan has a range of guests. He had two guests who spoke radically about Covid 19. I'd say dont listen to Rogan or embarrass/correct his guests by providing the actual information.

If Rogan was only having guests who were anti vax and that was his main message, get him off the platform. Guy has people who believe aliens built the pyramids on his show. Hes had Neil DeGrasse Tyson on too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In this case, he said he would bring on a guest to counter the previous over a controversial subject. This is the kind of stuff I actually like. Debates. Even if one side is about to get completely abused.

I'd watch a moderated debate between Lobster and PhD for sure. Like watching Emporia State v KU if Emporia State only tried scoring with trick shots.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:39 am I'd rather have Neil Young and Joni Mitchell on Spotify because I actually listen to them.

Regardless of topic, I tend to side with allowing people to speak, as long as they arent intentionally being dangerous or arent just solely trying to troll.

Rogan has a range of guests. He had two guests who spoke radically about Covid 19. I'd say dont listen to Rogan or embarrass/correct his guests by providing the actual information.

If Rogan was only having guests who were anti vax and that was his main message, get him off the platform. Guy has people who believe aliens built the pyramids on his show. Hes had Neil DeGrasse Tyson on too.
But he is being dangerous. And if it's not intentional, he's intentionally ignoring reality and intentionally choosing to seek out things that aren't true, that are easily scientifically proven.

I know he had Sanjay Gupta on his program for example, but then at the same time, you saw that clip where his guest told him that you're 8 times more likely to develop myocarditis from the virus than the vaccine, he thought it was untrue, when they looked it up, he questioned the source. I mean, he pretty clearly WANTS there to be a problem with the vaccines and appears to be trying to make the side effects seem more problematic than they are and make up issues that don't actually exist.

There are certainly things having to do with this pandemic that are debatable, but why you'd want to give a voice to people who are making things up and ignoring scientific evidence is a mystery to me.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:45 am In this case, he said he would bring on a guest to counter the previous over a controversial subject. This is the kind of stuff I actually like. Debates. Even if one side is about to get completely abused.

I'd watch a moderated debate between Lobster and PhD for sure. Like watching Emporia State v KU if Emporia State only tried scoring with trick shots.
I like watching Emporia State play KU too. But they have to both be playing basketball. Your analogy only works in this case if Emporia State is playing a fictitious game that doesn't exist that has rules that they can change as you play it.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think he just hosts a show with all sorts of guests.
If a guest is saying aliens created the pyramids or the earth is flat, and you don't want to hear that bullshit, don't listen.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:12 am I think he just hosts a show with all sorts of guests.
If a guest is saying aliens created the pyramids or the earth is flat, and you don't want to hear that bullshit, don't listen.
I've listened to his show plenty in the past. He controls most of the topics, and the flow of the coversations, and he has a strong personality. A lot of times he has guests on who are experts in their field and by the end of the 3 hours they seem to be almost deferring to him. Also, my guess is if you measured all his shows, he's probably talking about 60% of the time, and the guests about 38% with Jaime chiming in for 2%.

And to your second point. That's exactly what I've done. I listened in the past when he had guests on that I wanted to hear. The difference between having on an anti-vaxer and a flat-earther is that a flat earther isn't trying to persuade people to do something dangerous that could hurt them or threaten their lives.

Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:12 am I think he just hosts a show with all sorts of guests.
Maybe the issue is how many guys like me tune in precisely because we DO want to hear that bullshit, to the exclusion of anyone saying otherwise, that the earth is NOT flat, and such.

Who wants to hear things that don’t conform with my own world views, anyway?
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Who wants to hear things that don’t conform with my own world views, anyway?"

This comment isn't as funny as you think it is as it applies in a way that is generally my stance on censorship.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:24 am The difference between having on an anti-vaxer and a flat-earther is that a flat earther isn't trying to persuade people to do something dangerous that could hurt them or threaten their lives.
You left out an important phrase at the end of your statement “…..and lives of many others”

For every person who doesn’t get vaccinated (s)he is endangering her/himself as well as numerous others! This the reason why Joe Rogan is dangerous.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:56 am "Who wants to hear things that don’t conform with my own world views, anyway?"

This comment isn't as funny as you think it is as it applies in a way that is generally my stance on censorship.
Bro not trying to be funny. My whole life is an echo chamber of YouTube vids and Zuckerberg news feeds.

And I too agree that censorship is bad. It’s mah right to yell fire in a crowded theatre if I feel like it. If that affects others, that’s their problem.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"It’s mah right to yell fire in a crowded theatre if I feel like it."

Also not as funny or applicable as you think it is.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm "It’s mah right to yell fire in a crowded theatre if I feel like it."

Also not as funny or applicable as you think it is.
It's against the law to do that.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

zsn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 am For every person who doesn’t get vaccinated (s)he is endangering her/himself as well as numerous others!
that may have been true 6-8-10-12 months ago. not so much anymore. now that we know for sure the vaxxed can carry it, get it and spread it just like the unvaxxed.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dammit, no. The "fire in a crowded theatre" quip is not the law. It is very old dicta that has never been the law.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:16 pm Dammit, no. The "fire in a crowded theatre" quip is not the law. It is very old dicta that has never been the law.
Please, no facts here.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:19 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:16 pm Dammit, no. The "fire in a crowded theatre" quip is not the law. It is very old dicta that has never been the law.
Please, no facts here.
Your side is the one using that argument here
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:26 pm
Cascadia wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:19 pm
Please, no facts here.
Your side is the one using that argument here
Hmm? What ‘side’?