Greatest Football Game Ever?

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: Greatest Football Game Ever?

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:52 am 5 Thoughts that don't make it the "greatest game" but had a bearing on the outcome.

I don't recall there being a turnover in the game.

Speaking of "footnotes", I have a feeling Davis' performance will be forgotten in the not too distant future by most people who aren't Bills fans.

"Tails" may have been the biggest mistake the Bills made all game.

The Bills didn't attempt a field goal all game and returned a grand total of 1 kick (kick offs & punts).

If I am not mistaken, 31 points were scored in the last 6 and a half minutes of the game. 25 in a less than 2 minute time period.

Bonus thought unrelated to last night's game. Pat Mahomes is probably the most gifted QB I have ever seen play the position. Between the coaching staff and the other "skill" position players he has on the field with him I figure he will win multiple Super Bowls in Kansas City. Now that being said, just how good/great would he be today if the Bears had drafted him and would he have been an NFC All-Pro?
Davis will be shown in every graphic every time a receiver has a great playoff game for the next 20 years.

Most receiving yards in a playoff game ever? Davis.
Most receiving TDs in a playoff game ever? Davis.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:52 am 5 Thoughts that don't make it the "greatest game" but had a bearing on the outcome.

Speaking of "footnotes", I have a feeling Davis' performance will be forgotten in the not too distant future by most people who aren't Bills fans.

The Bills didn't attempt a field goal all game and returned a grand total of 1 kick (kick offs & punts).

If I am not mistaken, 31 points were scored in the last 6 and a half minutes of the game. 25 in a less than 2 minute time period.

Bonus thought unrelated to last night's game. Pat Mahomes is probably the most gifted QB I have ever seen play the position. Between the coaching staff and the other "skill" position players he has on the field with him I figure he will win multiple Super Bowls in Kansas City. Now that being said, just how good/great would he be today if the Bears had drafted him and would he have been an NFC All-Pro?
Kicking the ball through the end zone for a touchback with 13 seconds left instead of forcing KC to field the ball and waste 6-7 seconds on a squib kick was a way bigger mistake than the coin toss.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 am

Kicking the ball through the end zone for a touchback with 13 seconds left instead of forcing KC to field the ball and waste 6-7 seconds on a squib kick was a way bigger mistake than the coin toss.
At first that was my exact thought but....
I don't know what the KC return team was told. Were they told if there was a squib kick to just fall on the ball or to try to return it?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
UnholyLivingDead

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 am

At first that was my exact thought but....
I don't know what the KC return team was told. Were they told if there was a squib kick to just fall on the ball or to try to return it?
Making the KC return team fall on the ball inside the 20 and taking two seconds off the clock is still better than giving them ball at the 25 with the clock never starting.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You can't guarantee that a squib would have them inside the 20 though.
But I agree, you probably shoulda squibbed.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 am

Davis will be shown in every graphic every time a receiver has a great playoff game for the next 20 years.

First, that is wrong. Davis does NOT have the most receiving yards in a playoff game. He has the 9th most.
Second, I predict that his 4 TD in a playoff game gets tied (or maybe even broken) in the next 3, 4, 5 seasons. Heck, I hope it gets broken by a KC receiver this season.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gutter is right:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ayoffs.htm

The guy in 3rd place was a major reason ( among a bad call on Dwayne Bowe, a lucky fumble recovery at the goalline by Andrew Luck and 5 or 6 of our starters getting injured including pro bowl Jamal Charles on the first drive ) we lost a 21 point lead in 2014.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 am You can't guarantee that a squib would have them inside the 20 though.
But I agree, you probably shoulda squibbed.
Bottom line is none of us know for sure what would or wouldn't have happened had the Bills squibbed.
I really don't fault them as much as it seems others do.
The Chiefs could have returned a squib. If they squibbed and a Chiefs player fell on the ball I have to assume the Bills players would have a dilemma. Would they be able to touch/tackle the player so he wouldn't get up - but then the clock stops faster?
Heck, leaving Mahomes 7-8 seconds would have still been enough time for KC to win the game if he had thrown a long completion, they called a time out, and Butker kicked the tying FG.

https://twitter.com/MikeGwizdala/status ... 3368262657
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:06 am

First, that is wrong. Davis does NOT have the most receiving yards in a playoff game. He has the 9th most.
Second, I predict that his 4 TD in a playoff game gets tied (or maybe even broken) in the next 3, 4, 5 seasons. Heck, I hope it gets broken by a KC receiver this season.
Not sure what graphic I saw that had me thinking that. Hmm, anyways. I hope you are right and a KC receiver beats both of his stats next week and he is forgotten to time. That KC CB who fell on his ass on that TD would sure like to forget about it. What a move.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Davis had 8 catches for 200 yards and 4 TDs. But a huge key was not letting other guys go off. Diggs had 3 catches for 7 yards and a 2 point conversion.

Chase is a different beast. You cannot let him go off. He may be inevitable. But you can't let Higgins or Boyd do any damage either.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"f they squibbed and a Chiefs player fell on the ball I have to assume the Bills players would have a dilemma. Would they be able to touch/tackle the player so he wouldn't get up - but then the clock stops faster?"

Depending on who caught it ( i.e. not Tyreek Hill or Mecole Hardman ) i'd say the Chiefs player would slide and then call timeout.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:22 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:06 am

Not sure what graphic I saw that had me thinking that. Hmm, anyways. I hope you are right and a KC receiver beats both of his stats next week and he is forgotten to time. That KC CB who fell on his ass on that TD would sure like to forget about it. What a move.
I recall hearing someone saying it (most receiving yards in a playoff game) during the broadcast and I questioned it at the time.

Kelce had 3 receiving TD in a Quarter in the 2019 Playoff game vs. Houston. I see no good reason why he can't get 4 in a game. Other than it's not an easy thing to do.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 am "f they squibbed and a Chiefs player fell on the ball I have to assume the Bills players would have a dilemma. Would they be able to touch/tackle the player so he wouldn't get up - but then the clock stops faster?"

Depending on who caught it ( i.e. not Tyreek Hill or Mecole Hardman ) i'd say the Chiefs player would slide and then call timeout.
Just take a knee and call timeout. KC could argue that maybe 1 second ruins off and they might have had less yardage to cover, who knows. A player is allowed to give themselves up in NFL play and not require being touched to be ruled down.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 am "f they squibbed and a Chiefs player fell on the ball I have to assume the Bills players would have a dilemma. Would they be able to touch/tackle the player so he wouldn't get up - but then the clock stops faster?"

Isn't it beautiful we will never know?

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

13 seconds and then defending the touchdown rather than the field goal? Protecting the sideline when KC had 3 timeouts? Leaving the middle wide open and Kelce uncovered? Ughhh!

KC had given the game to Buffalo (thank you whomever that was that fell on their ass on a 4th and 13, allowing a touchdown pass). Brady and Rodgers are out of the playoffs. The next game is at home. The stars were aligning.

I feel really badly for Josh Allen.
Great game, KC. You better win it all.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The fear would be for what had just happened with Tyreek Hill to happen again.
Also Butker was off, and they tried icing him, so maybe they were factoring that into the coverage.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... engals-won

"Bills-Chiefs was one of the greatest games in league history.

While acknowledging that we're often prone to recency bias and that great games are in the eye of the beholder, I think the game we saw Sunday night has a strong case for being one of the greatest football games ever. The best playoff game I've seen across 14 years of covering the NFL was the Saints-49ers playoff game in the 2011 divisional round, when those two traded the lead with four touchdowns across the final four minutes, culminating in Vernon Davis' game winner with nine seconds to go. The Bills-Chiefs game packed that much drama into half as much time."
UnholyLivingDead

Sunday's games were both great football games. I think Saturday's games are being conflated a little bit by people who believe just because those two games were close it meant they were good. They weren't All 4 teams on Saturday played like crap and those were low-quality football games.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:58 pm https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... engals-won

"Bills-Chiefs was one of the greatest games in league history.

While acknowledging that we're often prone to recency bias and that great games are in the eye of the beholder, I think the game we saw Sunday night has a strong case for being one of the greatest football games ever. The best playoff game I've seen across 14 years of covering the NFL was the Saints-49ers playoff game in the 2011 divisional round, when those two traded the lead with four touchdowns across the final four minutes, culminating in Vernon Davis' game winner with nine seconds to go. The Bills-Chiefs game packed that much drama into half as much time."
The day of articles and conversation has definitely elevated this game to Top 3 all time playoff games. The back and forth of the last 2 minutes was unreal. Buffalo scored a TD with 1:54 to go in the game to go up 29-26 and 24 more points would be scored before the game ended with no help from any turnovers. That was insane.