Suits

Coffee talk.
Wiff

Suits

Post by Wiff »

I've been wearing the same few "starter" suits that I've had since beginning my career, and they are starting to wear out their welcome. Consequently, I think it's time for me to invest in some new good quality suits, but I don't really know where to start. I'm looking for suits that are more lightweight and comfortable.

For the other lawyers/business people on here who have to wear suits semi-regularly: where do you guys get your suits? And what type/brand do you like or prefer?
Ain't no seats
defixione
Contributor

Re: Suits

Post by defixione »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

For a suit you want to keep for awhile, Houndstooth in River Market will make you your favorite suit.

Everyday ones to wear to court/weddings, Suit Supply.

Bargain bins: J.Crew clearance and Combatant Gentleman
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Starter Suits?

I always wanted one...my parents would instead just buy me a warmer higher quality coat with whatever team I asked for on it. Thinking, he'll freeze in this piece of shit pullover so let's get him something nicer, and I would be pissed about the nicer coat because I just wanted to conform.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

^^^ if Yesufu had threads like that even he could get off the bench.

But yeah. I’m cheap about my suits. Basically walked around the mall and perused various department store discount racks til I found a few that fit ok.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

I already have this suit.
Ain't no seats
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

People still wear suits?
Defense. Rebounds.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I recently bought a new suit from Banana Republic that was marked down to $200. It’s black and lightweight. I have a couple older BR suits, but they were dated, maybe 15 years old.

I don’t wear suits often, maybe once or twice a year for an event. I ordered it online and took it to the Plaza location for free tailoring. I wear 42R, but the pants were slightly too long and they shortened up the sleeves a smidge.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:14 pm People still wear suits?
Just the top half. It's the Zoom era.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

This, or something similar.

https://www.indochino.com/

Get custom suits with a substantial amount of options.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the only suit ya need. even better...its actually more of a tuxedo.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(It's here that I will tell you that the quality of the tailoring is orders of magnitude more important than the quality of the laundry.)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I am a lousy example, I wear suits only when I have to, which isn't very often. But when I do wear one it has to project an image. If you are a business person then a suit is a statement. I go to Jos A Banks for regular suits that I wear to meetings with Board of Regents, conservative business meetings. You can get a good quality standard suit there. I also wear suit jackets when I am doing presentations for architects, arts groups and for those I shop at Nordstroms. Those I mostly wear a jacket and a fancy ass shirt and jeans. Less dressy but something that makes a statement. And shoes, the right shoes upscale the suit. I get my fancy ass shoes at John Fluevog, you have to go to Denver or Chicago for those.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I may wear a hoodie to the office tomorrow.

I wear a suit maybe once a year. Gone are the days of ties in meetings…

Our office dress code has become more relaxed. Not hoodie relaxed, but fuck it. It’s Friday.
Last edited by sdoyel on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:23 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:14 pm People still wear suits?
Just the top half. It's the Zoom era.
I gave a presentation on zoom in shorts, tshirt, and a sport coat.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Have some balls and pay up for this gem of a suit (see Jared Leto in video below).
If I was wealthy I would buy it and wear it.
Why not? If anyone has/had a problem with it - fuck 'em. I've been trough stages in my life where I either cared too much what other people thought in regards to what I wore - and I didn't care enough what people thought in regards to what I wore. I now go by the mantra, wear whatever makes ME happy and if anyone has a problem with it - fuck 'em.

wiff - As far as my honest suit advice, I think others have given you fine suggestions. You don't need mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Bmi6K1oBs
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I can't even name the year that I last wore a suit. Avoiding the wearing of a suit is a primary decision in my career path. Screw that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My daughter's wedding was the last time I wore one.

This thread reminds me of the greatest KU Sportsbored one liner of all time.
"I'm 30 and wear a suit to work."
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I can’t remember the last time I wore a suit. I’ve wore a tie twice in the last three years, four-five times in the last five, that I can remember. One of the times was for an interview and two times for when I gave a seminar presentation. Other times were for a couple of meetings of an Advisory Board that I’m on. In all cases it was jacket and tie with slacks.

Very often I’ll wear sport-coat, dress shirt and slacks when I visit contractors. When I used to go in to the office I wear dress shirt and either slacks or jeans. In previous jobs I was mostly working in a lab. So, polos and jeans.
Last edited by zsn on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I haven't worn anything fancier than jeans and a golf shirt for work in easily 5 years. It's sweatpants or shorts and a tshirt every day since covid pushed me to WAH full time.