Kansas v Kentucky Official Gamethread

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Kansas v Kentucky Official Gamethread

Post by pdub »

Bill Self has the 3rd highest active win-loss % in CBB.
He has the 3rd most NCAA tourney wins since 2010.
So maybe it's not "Self's style" - but those numbers are decent, no?

Give me decent without any "that's not the point".
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:24 pm
hasbeen wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:22 pm I actually agree with AARP about Self. I think his coaching is fine, but he has been dreadful at roster construction a few years in a row. Everyone's patience would be in tact had he not been robbed in 2020, but he was, so there's less patience.

Remy does not play defense. He's also not a super efficient player, never has been. He needs the ball in his hands and he needs to be able to work through TOs. That's not Self's style. But he knew all of these things when he went and got Remy. With the new transfer rules, it should be easier for a coach to build a roster and lineup that fits together and plays his style. He's failed there.

We've got legit talent coming in next year. That'll help, but only if they're allowed to play through mistakes.
Self recruited Remy for one season and knew what he was getting.
It’s not hard to realize that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Real big 2006 message board energy with the "BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE BILL SELF, LET'S SEE YOUR COACHING W/L %!" Why is everyone so old?
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I mean Remy was considered the best transfer available. He was picked to be big 12 player of the year. He was pac 12 player of the year i think, averaged like 20 a game. The whole world wasn't wrong about Remy. The injury hurt, but self has brutally fucked this team into the ground with dajuan harris. Has Remy been giving the reigns to this team things would be a lot different. Im not sure what the point of even recruiting Remy was if self was just going to use him like this
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:24 pm
hasbeen wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:22 pm I actually agree with AARP about Self. I think his coaching is fine, but he has been dreadful at roster construction a few years in a row. Everyone's patience would be in tact had he not been robbed in 2020, but he was, so there's less patience.

Remy does not play defense. He's also not a super efficient player, never has been. He needs the ball in his hands and he needs to be able to work through TOs. That's not Self's style. But he knew all of these things when he went and got Remy. With the new transfer rules, it should be easier for a coach to build a roster and lineup that fits together and plays his style. He's failed there.

We've got legit talent coming in next year. That'll help, but only if they're allowed to play through mistakes.
Let's hope those freshman are ready to ball-out from the jump.
If the dont, they'll get buried in rotation, put on a short leash, and have to watch guys like dajuan harris run selfs offense
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 pm

I don't think Self expected Remy to be shooting 29% and 13% from 3 in his last 8 games though.
With almost as many turnovers as assists.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:22 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:14 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:04 pm

I mean you sit 37 minutes watching your team get absolutely worked. Who would even want to go in at that point
Then i wish he would have antonio browned us and saved us the weekly debate. He's behind DH and Bobby already...and who knows who will be coming in the next 2 years.

I sort think he will transfer after this year tbh.
I would transfer too. Dajuan is awful and we all know it. Why would yesefu play for a coach who's gonna sit him behind a guy like that.
If DH is awful then I also classify Yesufu and Remy as awful....which i don't, but i would want someone more talented than any of those guys. That isn't expecting too much at KU.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:27 pm Real big 2006 message board energy with the "BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE BILL SELF, LET'S SEE YOUR COACHING W/L %!" Why is everyone so old?
Pdub is a big fan of Jeff Garcia
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our point has been the worst position this season.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm

I don't think Self expected Remy to be shooting 29% and 13% from 3 in his last 8 games though.
But but but he wouldn't have those numbers if "his leash wasn't so short".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:50 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:48 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:47 pm Kentucky is taking what they want on offense and making us do what they want with their defense.

Kansas looks like a top of Tier B of contenders.
Correct. As weird as this sounds, ku just isn't very athletic and not very good defensively this year
This is exactly who KU was last year with the difference being an uptick in Och’s scoring.
And a big downgrade at PG.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:32 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:22 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:14 pm

Then i wish he would have antonio browned us and saved us the weekly debate. He's behind DH and Bobby already...and who knows who will be coming in the next 2 years.

I sort think he will transfer after this year tbh.
I would transfer too. Dajuan is awful and we all know it. Why would yesefu play for a coach who's gonna sit him behind a guy like that.
If DH is awful then I also classify Yesufu and Remy as awful....which i don't, but i would want someone more talented than any of those guys. That isn't expecting too much at KU.
I would classify remy and yesefu as "inexperienced in self's system and struggling to adapt"

I would classify dajuan as experienced in selfs system and still bad. just not a talented player
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:36 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm

But but but he wouldn't have those numbers if "his leash wasn't so short".
same period of time he has been dealing with an injury
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he plays poorly the ROS will it be bc of the injury?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

pdub hates Remy.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Self’s coaching stock with PGs has never been lower.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dotson, Vonte, Frank.
All each at least 2nd team AAs.
Never been lower.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you mean Selfs available talent at PG this exact season, I'd still argue its been lower, but at the moment, it's pretty low.

Tharpe, frosh Mason, frosh Rafters was bad.
Garrett out of position last season not good either.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't think this is self's best job by a large margin. But, for those upset with him...what are you expecting him to do?

Remy's playing 20+ mpg...is he going to become CPOY with an extra 10? I don't see it.

Yesefu and pettiford have gotten way more minutes than our 3rd and 4th PGs usually get, and they've mostly played poorly.

I don't get why someone who plays poorly in 10 minutes should be given 20 or why you assume they'll suddenly look better with more minutes.

As for McCormack...every time you think he's hit rock bottom or is turning the corner to be better he finds newer and worse ways to play badly...and Self has started benching him when he plays poorly, finally. KJ is getting more minutes but he's still just a freshman.

I mean, I'd like to see Remy and Harris swap minutes...but we woulda still gotten our asses kicked tonight and that's an incremental improvement not something that suddenly makes us frontrunner for a natty.

And randy, please don't respond. I don't give a shit about your stupid ass opinions on anything
Last edited by PhDhawk on Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

To beat a team like Kentucky we need good Ochai, good Dave and either good Wilson or Braun.

We didn't get any if those.

We arent a dominant team. We are a top 10 team who could win it all with some luck.