Official Gamethread @ Iowa State

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official Gamethread @ Iowa State

Post by pdub »

We hounded them defensively.
Harris and Yes bothered them constantly.
But CnB's right in that they aren't a good/average team offensively.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:59 am They were also really cold from the floor last night too. 41% from the floor and 22% from 3.
Not sure if they’ve played Kansas state yet, but that matchup of those front courts will be the all time pillow fight.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Their defense was a surprise last time out. The team understood their methods better and settled down. Between UK and Baylor, could not ask for a better test. But Baylor also has length like UK. We'll see.
It was good to watch ISU miss shots. It seems like the always have kind bounces and 30-ft ranges since the Hoiberg era.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:51 am I’ll say it again, I’m not sure how ISU is ranked. From a talent perspective, they seem like they could be the worst in the league.

How disappointing has Enaruna been?
They are ranked thanks to wins over Xavier, Texas Tech and Texas. Two of which are teams right below them in the rankings so ISU has a head to head on them to keep them below ISU. Other than that you have teams like Bama, Murray State, Saint Mary's, Boise State, etc... just outside the rankings. Bama has two awesome wins vs. Gonzaga and Houston but some terrible losses to Mizzou and Georgia. Murray St. and Saint Mary's have beat no one of interest.

Honestly, it's hard to find 25 good teams to rank.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

After Saturday, I am not going to mention rankings for a while.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:51 am I’ll say it again, I’m not sure how ISU is ranked. From a talent perspective, they seem like they could be the worst in the league.

How disappointing has Enaruna been?
5 points and 3 boreds in 17 minutes this year, starting every game

2 points and .5 boreds in 11 minutes against his old team.

(Yet he somehow had a 23 and 8 game against Baylor?!)

He drew comparisons to Svi initially, just cuz a big euro kid. But go figure he was closer to Justin Wesley all along.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Also, I feel bad for Enaruna. You know these 2 games against Kansas were important to him. And he scored a total of 4 points in those 2 games. With a total of 22 minutes played.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I think it was CnB who pointed out in the first game he went a whole possession guarded by Dajuan, and never once called for the ball, posted him up, did anything to look like a 6’8” D1 starter being guarded by the little neighbor kid who all the moms say you have to let him play, etc.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:12 am I think it was CnB who pointed out in the first game he went a whole possession guarded by Dajuan, and never once called for the ball, posted him up, did anything to look like a 6’8” D1 starter being guarded by the little neighbor kid who all the moms say you have to let him play, etc.
Good memory. That was the play that made me think I will never miss him. And I was really bummed when he transferred. Now, both Thompson and TGF seem like bigger losses to me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thompson, sure.
TGF, seems about even.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Thompson was the biggest loss from last year’s transfer portal.

Caught the fanbase off guard. Everybody was expecting him to have a big role st KU this year.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's still shooting pretty dismal numbers down there in Stillwater.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Yea.

9.9 points at 45% and 31% deep in 24 minutes, has started most games.

Not awful, but not great either.

But still, a big athletic burger guard, and a legacy, he seemed to have a lot of upside, like he’d be a big piece for us.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Kalscheur this year and last year shoots more than 5 3s a game, and shoots at about a 25% clip. I don't understand how his coaches have allowed that to continue.

Then you have Brockington, who is Nate Oats' worst nightmare, launching 837 18-footers a game.

And those two take most of their shots. That's a recipe for a really shitty offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm seeing 39.8 and 30.8.
Sub 40 is no bueno.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:43 amThen you have Brockington, who is Nate Oats' worst nightmare, launching 837 18-footers a game.
Watching this possession after possession to start the game last night, I thought it was a damn joke. Like, "Hey KU, I know your KenPom AdjD is not good, so let me help you out."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

exxcept every time he shot, it did feel like it was going to go in.

And in the game at AFH, I think he made a bunch in a row down the stretch.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:55 am exxcept every time he shot, it did feel like it was going to go in.

And in the game at AFH, I think he made a bunch in a row down the stretch.
A ton. Hanni pointed it out last night during broadcast many times that Brockington gets extremely hot in the last 6 minutes of the game. And after he said that, he made back-to-back shots and then maybe a couple of FTs as well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bryce Thompson would probably have jcl role this year
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd say that's fairly accurate - i'd bet he'd have more MPG than JCL but just so slightly.
He can start in Oklahoma.