Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by twocoach »

My god, no kidding. I try to avoid posting on this thread of idiocy because it makes my eyes bleed and my brain hurt. Just such a stunning lack of effort to read and comprehend. The side effects of reading everything in search of a zippy one liner, I suppose.

Scenario 1: A person is investigated for raping a child because there is credible evidence to believe that it has ha[[ened.

Scenario 2: A person asks a court to rule on whether a third party's baseless claim of them being a child rapist are true or whether the third party making the claim is using the claim to discredit you and justify their own illegal behavior.

Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 are completely different. Referring to them both as "being investigated for the rap of a child" is either deliberately ignorant or lazy.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:36 pm I would like to officially nominate Jfish for some sort of Nobel prize for exhibiting copious amounts of patience throughout this thread.
True enough. One of your best too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:31 pm

JFC, this has been explained to you multiple times. Ukraine is not being "investigated for genocide". The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that parts of Ukraine’s case against Russia arguing that Moscow baselessly accused Kyiv of genocide to justify the 2022 invasion can move forward. This means that UKRAINE has asked for the opportunity to make their case that Russian claims of genocide are baseless. "Being investigated for genocide" is far different than "asking for a baseless claim of genocide to be investigated".
twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:48 pm My god, no kidding. I try to avoid posting on this thread of idiocy because it makes my eyes bleed and my brain hurt. Just such a stunning lack of effort to read and comprehend. The side effects of reading everything in search of a zippy one liner, I suppose.

Scenario 1: A person is investigated for raping a child because there is credible evidence to believe that it has ha[[ened.

Scenario 2: A person asks a court to rule on whether a third party's baseless claim of them being a child rapist are true or whether the third party making the claim is using the claim to discredit you and justify their own illegal behavior.

Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 are completely different. Referring to them both as "being investigated for the rap of a child" is either deliberately ignorant or lazy.
so the NYT article in question is now behind a paywall for me. So now, all I can see is the title, which is:

"U.N. Court to Rule on Whether Ukraine Committed Genocide"

To me, I read that as, the U.N. Court is going to rule on whether Ukraine committed genocide. But if my Putin-poisoned mind is misinterpreting the headline, let me know!

So my question to you then is:

did the the U.N. Court issue their ruling yet?

if I recall, the article said it would take a long ass time to issue such a ruling. And a cursory google news search of my own just now indicated no updates on the case since the initial headlines in February.

But if I recall, the gist of the article was less, "asking for a baseless claim of genocide to be investigated" (to quote your words), and more "Ukraine asked the ICJ to throw out Russia's genocide claim as baseless but the ICJ decided to investigate the claim anyway"

but again, if I'm wrong, and Ukraine really did just to go asking the ICJ to investigate baseless claims, then please do correct me!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:56 pm
I cannot keep track of each and every one of your non-specific panic attacks.
bro but I've asked several times for you to comment on Israel killing U.S. humanitarian workers and the U.S. just pumping more weapons to Israel anyway. That's very specific! You've just ignored it, over and over!

If you are, once again, referring to the article you linked in the post I linked, I would refer you, once again, back to the post I linked and the responses stemming from it.
same question for you:

has the U.N. Court issued their ruling yet?

As a lawyer, I'm sure you're familiar with how important that "whether" word is in legal cases.

The specific error you continue to make on this NYT/genocide thing, over and over, is illustrative of exactly what I mean when I say that "sincerely-held anti-war positions" are being exploited by Russian disinformation.
again, do you mean to suggest the NYT too has been hacked by Putin? Or is it the ICJ? Both?

and again, when you keep on with this "you're not anti-war you've just been hacked by Putin" sort of shtick, you do it in a way that comes across as if you simply wish to suppress any criticism of the war effort.

That's to say, just realize it comes across as maybe at least a little bit authoritarian or something.
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:16 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:36 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:54 am
why would i engage you?

so you can just turn around and deliberately misrepresent my stance down the road in an effort to try and establish some sort of twisted moral high ground?

you’ve proven yourself incapable a well-meaning, nuanced discussion on these topics

i thought i made myself abundantly clear previously, but apparently not

and spare me the hollow apologies
Yup, you’re def holding a grudge.

How tragic.
what’s tragic is your hollow apologies and lack of self-awareness

a grudge would indicate that i care…i do not, which is why i’m done engaging with you

message received?
know what? I do try to be self-aware. If you'd like to offer anything constructive toward that, please do.

and FWIW, you've posted some simply disgusting views here yourself, and rather than ridicule you for it, I've just lead it slide, because I still think there's some better human in you, and I'd rather focus on that.

but dude, gaslighting my apologies as "hollow," and this "I don't care" and "I'm done engaging with you" sort of language, I'm afraid, is very much evidence of a grudge, or some bad attitude on your part.

To that, all I guess I can say at this point is, please don't burn a bridge over stupid pols bored bickering.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you're about as self aware as a hitching post.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:36 pm I would like to officially nominate Jfish for some sort of Nobel prize for exhibiting copious amounts of patience throughout this thread.
know what dude?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but - thanks for being one of the cool ones this time around.

I enjoyed your goof about the golf tourney.

And, heck, Overlander I enjoyed your "salesman of the quarter" goof too.

It's nice to be able to post something in and just get some lulz about it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:57 pm you're about as self aware as a hitching post.
goddamnit.

So much for the previous post
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:57 pm
know what dude?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but - thanks for being one of the cool ones this time around.

I enjoyed your goof about the golf tourney.

And, heck, Overlander I enjoyed your "salesman of the quarter" goof too.

It's nice to be able to post something in and just get some lulz about it.
welp might very ruined it with the hitching post
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Who knows how much awareness a hitching post possesses.

I do recall, though, a Buddhist meditation about frogs.

A frog just sits there amongst the lily pads. The sitting itself is nothing special - nothing at all, really. The frog is just sitting there, being a frog.

And yet, while sitting there doing nothing, the frog is simultaneously aware of everything, not simply sitting but waiting, very much engaged with the surrounding world. If a fly flies by, the frog will notice. It's this nothing and everything that makes a frog a frog.

Then, while pondering this nothing and everything that is supposed to be some description of Zen, they drop a, "maybe the fly is waiting for the frog..."

so now let's compare and contrast the way a frog sits there with the way a hitching post sits there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

plot twist!

The frog just got bombed by IDF too.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:08 pm Who knows how much awareness a hitching post possesses.

I do recall, though, a Buddhist meditation about frogs.

A frog just sits there amongst the lily pads. The sitting itself is nothing special - nothing at all, really. The frog is just sitting there, being a frog.

And yet, while sitting there doing nothing, the frog is simultaneously aware of everything, not simply sitting but waiting, very much engaged with the surrounding world. If a fly flies by, the frog will notice. It's this nothing and everything that makes a frog a frog.

Then, while pondering this nothing and everything that is supposed to be some description of Zen, they drop a, "maybe the fly is waiting for the frog..."

so now let's compare and contrast the way a frog sits there with the way a hitching post sits there.
one is an animal, that is alive and needs to interact with it'd environment to survive.

One is a dead tree thay has been modified and stuck in the ground snd acts as a dead weight thay provides a place to tie up a horse.

what is there to compare?

If the hitching post was a tree you might have a point, trees communicate with each other and indeed are at least somewhat interactive with its an environment.

The post...is not.

The Buddhist didn't day shit about two poles in the ground and a cross beam.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, that compare/contrast was meant more as tongue-in-cheek.

For real tho, would you say I have more or less self-awareness than, say...

a poster who is asked questions like, "what do you think of this specific world event that involves your and my fellow countrymen and tax dollars," and that poster responding with something like, "well I'm once again gonna dismiss this as just another non-specific panic attack."

?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

or heck, do I have more or less self-awareness than a poster who conflates "court to investigate" with, "court asked to investigate baseless claims," then goes on to attempt multiple analogies about raping a child?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

On…..and on……….and on……
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:41 pm On…..and on……….and on……
hey man, thanks for at least being a sport with your salesman comment, I giggled.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:48 pm
Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:41 pm On…..and on……….and on……
hey man, thanks for at least being a sport with your salesman comment, I giggled.
Pro tip, don’t consider sales as a possible career.
Buyers don’t want to be educated against their will.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well said.

It’s the “educated against their will” part that has driven so much of the divisiveness in this thread, I suppose.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Could you even imagine?

“I want this model with the leather trim”

Actually, every model comes with leather except for this particular one. May I suggest we take a look at one of the others?

ThAtS ExAcTlY WuT PuTiN WoUlD SaY!!!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this is just sad

good job
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?