Kansas v Texas Official Gamethread

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Kansas v Texas Official Gamethread

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:47 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:42 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:07 pm I will say again I didn't think the referees were as bad as some others did. It felt like more to me just a brand of basketball that this team doesn't like playing and our fans aren't used to watching.

Consistency was an issue, but hey, that's NCAAB.
I think I was more upset by the refs than I otherwise would have been, because it came on the heels of listening to Fran complain about calls at AFH, and then Drew doing the same in his post-game presser when asked about his technical foul.

Home team, with loud crowd get a few favorable calls. I think that happened last night, Bilas pointed it out several times. I think it was as much of an advantage as we get in Allen.
It was pretty great having Bilas on last night.

But, it was almost weird watching an entertaining KU game without having to hear someone use the game as some therapeutic sounding box for all of his insecurities.
nm
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

Not sure about the foul calls, it was a very physical game. Both teams attempted the same number of free throws according to the CBS box score. Texas made 20/23, KU made 15/23. Difference in the game. Not sure how many misses were front ends of 1 and 1s, but I don't recall Texas missing many of those.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Same number of free throws doesn't always mean a fairly called game.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Mjl wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:52 am
sdoyel wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:27 am The majority of our roster is fine. PG is our problem.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
I think our outside shooting is a significantly bigger problem than our point guard. We needed some improvement there from Braun and Wilson. They got worse. The Atlantic article talked about it. Teams just need to faceguard Ochai. They can let everyone else shoot - not just Harris.
One reason why that three point shooting is so weak is the PG you defend with your life gets wide open looks every game and still shoots 31%.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Also, people can screen grab in super low resolution all they want, but Dave wasn't actually trying to catch that defender with the screen. If the defender ran into him, they certainly would've taken it but he was trying to get on top of his defender so Harris could get him the ball.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I have it in high def too.
He set a screen - he doesn't hold it long but certainly holds it long enough to know if Ramey makes contact.
When Ramey gets around him that's when he pivots for Harris to get him the ball.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

hasbeen wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 pm
Mjl wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:52 am
sdoyel wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:27 am The majority of our roster is fine. PG is our problem.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
I think our outside shooting is a significantly bigger problem than our point guard. We needed some improvement there from Braun and Wilson. They got worse. The Atlantic article talked about it. Teams just need to faceguard Ochai. They can let everyone else shoot - not just Harris.
One reason why that three point shooting is so weak is the PG you defend with your life gets wide open looks every game and still shoots 31%.
Braun and Wilson can't hit open 3s either.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Much of it is generally that we somehow accumulated yet another roster of small ball types who still are not particularly good shooters.

None more so, though, than our pg.

Marcus Garrett got so much shit for it last year, even though he ended up a serviceable college shooter, and still managed double digit points a game.

Dajuan is neither of those things.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:41 am Much of it is generally that we somehow accumulated yet another roster of small ball types who still are not particularly good shooters.

None more so, though, than our pg.

Marcus Garrett got so much shit for it last year, even though he ended up a serviceable college shooter, and still managed double digit points a game.

Dajuan is neither of those things.
If Remy was right, he would open up more space for everyone.

The team compared to last year is just better on the wing, which leads to being better in transition. Defense is worse, but I'd rather score.

Nothing about this season has changed my position of wanting to recruit over Dajuan through blue chip HS or transfer as long as he is here.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Yeah, he would be a nice backup on a blue blood contender.

But I wonder if Self is all in on 3 straight years of Dajuan starting.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He didn't want it for this season.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I guess he just expected Remy to be some sort of actual guard, rather than hobbled and/or in the doghouse?

Either way I kinda doubt Self recruits many Pac12 scoring guards going forward

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He also wanted/tried to get Yesufu to play more on the ball.

Transfer portal is great for KUBB.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

not a fan of free agency. but that is the way these days in semi-pro basketball played at the college level. so i have to get used to it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m kinda surprised we haven’t seen any evidence of a mechanics change in DH’s shot

i get not messing with it if it were at least respectably efficient, but it may very well be the ugliest shot of any KU player during Self’s tenure
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:14 am it may very well be the ugliest shot of any KU player during Self’s tenure
I would like to agree, but we're less than a year removed from Marcus Garrett. That guy would shoot free throws and the ball spin would be a different direction on each attempt. Tim Wakefield would be impressed.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I guess it’s just so tough for a point guard to come in and learn our system.

Even if we get some elite HS or transfer, it’s still not likely they play over upperclassman Dajuan.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:23 am I guess it’s just so tough for a point guard to come in and learn our system.

Even if we get some elite HS or transfer, it’s still not likely they play over upperclassman Dajuan.
Add some stubbornness into that "tough" aspect.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:32 am
Qusdahl wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:23 am I guess it’s just so tough for a point guard to come in and learn our system.

Add some stubbornness into that "tough" aspect.
Oh yeah dajuan is our starter the next 3 years yall accept it. Even if there was a number 1 overall best pg prospect the world has seen coming to KU next year, he would be starting with dajuan as our 2 guards in he back court
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:51 am Yeah, he would be a nice backup on a blue blood contender.

But I wonder if Self is all in on 3 straight years of Dajuan starting.
Only three? In terms of eligibility he's still a redshirt freshman. Wilson too.