Wifi Troubleshooting:

You Love It.
sdoyel

Wifi Troubleshooting:

Post by sdoyel »

Hey all:

I recently got 1GB ATT fiber and switched to an eero Pro 6 setup.

Daisy chain setup due to the layout of my house with 2 wireless nodes.

I’m running into an issue where my middle node gives me pathetic wifi in the evening around 830. My speeds drop to like 1Mbps and uploads don’t register at all. It shows I’m connected though?

My att modem is in pass through with fixed dhcp.

This is so weird.

This happened tonight during the KU game I restarted my middle node and my speeds are back…

Can’t decide if I’m keeping the eero or going back to Orbi.

I can give more details if anyone has an idea of what might be occurring?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

Re: Wifi Troubleshooting:

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Have you tried taking it out and blowing on it Nintendo game style?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Also, I can walk into my office with the wired eero while the slowdown is occurring and it works normally.

Has to be a connection issue with my middle node despite showing full bars and the eero health check running fine.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I am still experiencing terrible wifi speeds from my middle node. I just hooked up my laptop to it via Ethernet and speeds were fine.

So it is receiving the wireless signal fine.

It is not outputting a wireless signal worth a damn.

Something weird is going on here.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:18 pm I am still experiencing terrible wifi speeds from my middle node. I just hooked up my laptop to it via Ethernet and speeds were fine.

I got nothin.
You're doing what I would do to determine the issues ( reseting it, moving it, connecting it directly ).
I'm a web dev/designer/animator - so while it might make sense for me to be able to also be into network admin, it's just not in my wheelhouse.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 pm
sdoyel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:18 pm I am still experiencing terrible wifi speeds from my middle node. I just hooked up my laptop to it via Ethernet and speeds were fine.

I got nothin.
You're doing what I would do to determine the issues ( reseting it, moving it, connecting it directly ).
I'm a web dev/designer/animator - so while it might make sense for me to be able to also be into network admin, it's just not in my wheelhouse.
I'm going to call eero support again tonight. If they can't fix it, I'm returning it for an Orbi.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Tried kicking it yet?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Kicking it to the curb…

I’m going with an Orbi and unfortunately dropping way more cash…

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 am Kicking it to the curb…

I bought an Orbi set up and I am not very happy with the performance so far. To be fair, the office where my internet comes in is at one end of the house so it is hard to get good wifi through the whole house. Will probably trash it this summer when the oldest comes home from college and hogs up all our bandwidth and give even more money to Cox Cable for their panoramic wifi service.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I know it sounds we are talking strictly wifi but when I was renting a big house several years back I used a power line adaptor and it worked flawlessly. But you need a device to directly connect.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:26 am
sdoyel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 am Kicking it to the curb…

I bought an Orbi set up and I am not very happy with the performance so far. To be fair, the office where my internet comes in is at one end of the house so it is hard to get good wifi through the whole house. Will probably trash it this summer when the oldest comes home from college and hogs up all our bandwidth and give even more money to Cox Cable for their panoramic wifi service.
I'm going with the Orbi AX6000 setup. I caught the eero Pro 6 on sale so that was great, but it just doesn't work well for me. The Orbi is nearly twice as much.

I had an old Orbi wifi5 setup and had no issues. I went to eero for wifi6 since I just got ATT Gigabit fiber installed.

Hopefully the new Orbi will be more powerful. It SHOULD be, the eero is AX4200 and this one is AX6000.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I have this system and it’s fucking awesome.

I have streaming fast Wi-Fi in my shed/greenhouse that is 100 feet from my house thanks to an outdoor satellite.

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk753/
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I just cant bring myself to drop $700-$1000 on a wifi setup so that my teen can better ignore me by watching Netflix on her phone in her bedroom.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:13 am I just cant bring myself to drop $700-$1000 on a wifi setup so that my teen can better ignore me by watching Netflix on her phone in her bedroom.
Definitely overkill. WiFi 6 is still way overpriced now but slowly coming down. The brand new WiFi 6e mesh system is $1500. Hilarious.

They also use WiFi 6 as marketing as a ton of mesh systems only use that frequency for the backhaul, meaning your devices are still on WiFi 5. Not to mention most devices are only WiFi 5 compatabile, not WiFi 6. Then you add in that most home internet speeds are 1GB or (way) less, so WiFi 6 router + device isn't even giving you much of anything more than WiFi 5.

WiFi 6 (and 6e) is the future, though, but it will take a good amount of time to really take advantage of it to really know the difference: you will need your main devices to be WiFi 6 compatible and the WiFi 6 router needs to be quad-band, otherwise there's really no point.

Mesh systems are easy and great, though. Setting your own stuff up through Ubiquiti is nice, but a ton of work. WiFi extenders are garbage and make your signal worse. I currently have a WiFi 5 Tri-Band Mesh Orbi system that I got on closeout at Walmart for $45. I get 100% of my promised ISP speed both up and down.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

My apologies, I have this system

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/cbk40/
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

So far so good with the Orbi RBK853…

The eero has promise, but I can’t recommend it to anyone with a larger, wireless home.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
shindig

Post by shindig »

I'm completely lost on most of this, so WIFI extenders are bad? I have Google Fiber 1GB and I notice sometimes my WIFI streaming sucks, even if I am in another room. For work, I just have my docking station plugged in with an Ethernet. I noticed last night my LG TV in my living room was buffering some and I never had an issue before, so not sure what is going on.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I'm not a huge tech guy but my understanding is that most wifi extenders are garbage. At least that's what my tech friends tell me. Hence the reason I went with mesh wifi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIKSjORzmE
shindig

Post by shindig »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:01 am I'm not a huge tech guy but my understanding is that most wifi extenders are garbage. At least that's what my tech friends tell me. Hence the reason I went with mesh wifi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIKSjORzmE
So if I went with mesh wifi, do I not use the Google fiber router at all? This is where I get confused. Will it stream if I'm not using the google router or do you have to go with a different wireless provider?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You plug the mesh router directly into the fiber box jack. So, yes, you won’t use the google fiber router.

However, if you use google fiber tv, it might be a little more complicated.