KUBB value of a season

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: KUBB value of a season

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:09 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:06 am
pdub wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:02 am why do I care what Trae Young thinks?
^^^^^^^^^
Bill cared. A lot.
but only while recruiting him, right?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:26 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:06 am

^^^^^^^^^
Bill cared. A lot.
That's the context of the quote, though. KU has to have several different messages depending on the audience.

It's hard to fathom, but the majority of the student body has no independent memory of Mario Chalmers and the 2008 team. Certainly no recruit does either. KUBB is in the business of recruiting future first team AA's and NBA All-Stars--they want to hear about Joel Embiid, not Nick Collison, not Sherron Collins, not Phog Allen.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:33 am

Bill cared. A lot.
That's the context of the quote, though. KU has to have several different messages depending on the audience.

It's hard to fathom, but the majority of the student body has no independent memory of Mario Chalmers and the 2008 team. Certainly no recruit does either. KUBB is in the business of recruiting future first team AA's and NBA All-Stars--they want to hear about Joel Embiid, not Nick Collison, not Sherron Collins, not Phog Allen.
do you have any proof of this?

i’m not saying you’re necessarily wrong, but those statements sure seem to be awfully speculatory

you’re insinuating that no top recruits have any knowledge of the history of the game
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and i couldn’t care less about the current student body…
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:38 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:33 am

do you have any proof of this?

i’m not saying you’re necessarily wrong, but those statements sure seem to be awfully speculatory

you’re insinuating that no top recruits have any knowledge of the history of the game
Well I'm not a scientist, but I understand that today's recruits would have been 2-3 years old in 2008.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:40 am and i couldn’t care less about the current student body…
That's fine, but understand that the recruits/players have way more in common with the student body than they do with you or me. It's pretty easy to see why that is a more important demographic for the program and product.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

as a fan, i hardly remember joel embiids time as a JAYHAWK. as a JAYHAWK he is a minor blip. he played 3/4's of one season as a JAYHAWK.

he may be an mvp 76'er. he is a minor JAYHAWK.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

This reminds me of a thread I saw on either Facebook or Twitter a few weeks back about if you would want Bronny James to pick your school. The overwhelming majority was a no, with an even higher majority of the reasoning being not liking his dad.

A good amount of your fanbase might not like LeBron hanging around campus or in the facilities, but guess who would? That 16, 17, 18 yr old kid you're trying to convince to come to your school.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:46 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:40 am and i couldn’t care less about the current student body…
That's fine, but understand that the recruits/players have way more in common with the student body than they do with you or me. It's pretty easy to see why that is a more important demographic for the program and product.
that may be, but we’re talking about fans generally…not KU fans specifically, and certainly not fans that are members of the student body

and i could be completely wrong here, but i would imagine that a recruit would have a better understanding of the history of the game than a random student fan…many of whom attend games more as a social event than for some innate love of the game
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:58 am as a fan, i hardly remember joel embiids time as a JAYHAWK. as a JAYHAWK he is a minor blip. he played 3/4's of one season as a JAYHAWK.

lol
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:46 am
that may be, but we’re talking about fans generally…not KU fans specifically, and certainly not fans that are members of the student body

and i could be completely wrong here, but i would imagine that a recruit would have a better understanding of the history of the game than a random student fan…many of whom attend games more as a social event than for some innate love of the game
I brought up the students in the Trae Young comment context.

As far as recruits caring more about the history of the game than the students, I don't know, as you said it would be speculating either way. I do think that's what we would like to think about them, but not sure that it is actually true. I can say that I am personally much more romantic about basketball and its history now than I was at the age of 18.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:58 am as a fan, i hardly remember joel embiids time as a JAYHAWK. as a JAYHAWK he is a minor blip. he played 3/4's of one season as a JAYHAWK.

To me though, Joel without Bill and KU would be out of basketball. One of those symbiotic miracles. And the Pittman take down was never punished.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: I can say that I am personally much more romantic about basketball and its history now than I was at the age of 18.
this is a good point

my knee-jerk reaction is to say this isn’t the case for me, but i’d have to reflect on it

i can say without a doubt, that despite growing up with b-ball being my primary sport of choice (also playing football and baseball), my love of the game amplified a ton after moving to Lawrence at the age of 10

that proximity undoubtedly biases my perspective
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KU bb fans use "we" and "us" to talk about the team more than other schools. I remember being interviewed by a sociologist on the playground once as a kid about it. Random event, but we were pretending to be KU and he bolted over to help pump up his thesis work. KUBB runs deep.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:59 am This reminds me of a thread I saw on either Facebook or Twitter a few weeks back about if you would want Bronny James to pick your school. The overwhelming majority was a no, with an even higher majority of the reasoning being not liking his dad.

A good amount of your fanbase might not like LeBron hanging around campus or in the facilities, but guess who would? That 16, 17, 18 yr old kid you're trying to convince to come to your school.
It seems to me that so much of LeBron's decisions/moves over the past few years have been made with profit and his brand as the major influences in those decisions/moves. So, I think I'd rather not have the program being used in that way.

Now, in a perfect world where Bronny comes to KU, is a team player within the program, and LeBron keeps the meddling to a minimum, then I can absolutely see the tremendous value of having LeBron tied to the program even though I'm not a fan of his.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think there's a better chance you know about Kansas basketball and Mario Chalmers if you're a high school basketball recruit than some random student out there because of your involvement in the sport.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:33 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 am
Devonte Graham is in Lawrence this week/weekend. Svi probably will make an appearance.
Our NBA guys are coming in when the team is out of town? Not doubting, cool deal if so.
Devonte had a picture on social media yesterday inside our practice facility
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 am Joel and Wiggs will eventually have jerseys in the rafters. Rightfully so
Wiggins might. Embiid won't.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:42 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:33 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 am
Devonte Graham is in Lawrence this week/weekend. Svi probably will make an appearance.
Our NBA guys are coming in when the team is out of town? Not doubting, cool deal if so.
Devonte had a picture on social media yesterday inside our practice facility
And then made it to New Orleans for an evening game?

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360705
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:44 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 am Joel and Wiggs will eventually have jerseys in the rafters. Rightfully so
Wiggins might. Embiid won't.
25% chance on Wiggs.
5% chance on Embiid.