KUBB value of a season

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: KUBB value of a season

Post by KUTradition »

what are the justifications for either of them?

i know Self said there are really know iron-clad criteria, other than “the greatest players that play here” deserve consideration
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:33 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:26 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:09 am

Bill cared. A lot.
but only while recruiting him, right?
That's the context of the quote, though. KU has to have several different messages depending on the audience.

It's hard to fathom, but the majority of the student body has no independent memory of Mario Chalmers and the 2008 team. Certainly no recruit does either. KUBB is in the business of recruiting future first team AA's and NBA All-Stars--they want to hear about Joel Embiid, not Nick Collison, not Sherron Collins, not Phog Allen.
They want to hear about playing time and money more than they care about Embiid spending 9months in Lawrence.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:46 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:42 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:33 am

Our NBA guys are coming in when the team is out of town? Not doubting, cool deal if so.
Devonte had a picture on social media yesterday inside our practice facility
And then made it to New Orleans for an evening game?

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360705
Obviously it wasn't taken yesterday then, I didn't realize they played last night...all star weekend is usually when we see the NBA players pop up though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:00 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:26 am
but only while recruiting him, right?
That's the context of the quote, though. KU has to have several different messages depending on the audience.

It's hard to fathom, but the majority of the student body has no independent memory of Mario Chalmers and the 2008 team. Certainly no recruit does either. KUBB is in the business of recruiting future first team AA's and NBA All-Stars--they want to hear about Joel Embiid, not Nick Collison, not Sherron Collins, not Phog Allen.
They want to hear about playing time and money more than they care about Embiid spending 9months in Lawrence.
Embiid is part of the money pitch. He just signed a $200 million contract.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:04 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:46 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:42 am

Devonte had a picture on social media yesterday inside our practice facility
And then made it to New Orleans for an evening game?

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360705
Obviously it wasn't taken yesterday then, I didn't realize they played last night...all star weekend is usually when we see the NBA players pop up though.
Right, just kinda sucks that our game is out of town this weekend.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:59 am what are the justifications for either of them?

i know Self said there are really know iron-clad criteria, other than “the greatest players that play here” deserve consideration
Wiggs was a 2nd team AA.
I dunno. That's not enough for me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I were a parent to an 18 year old NBA prospect, though (who is not a surefire OAD), I would want my kid playing for Self because of his work with Och and Marcus Morris. That's more persuasive than his time with EMVPiid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:13 pm If I were a parent to an 18 year old NBA prospect, though (who is not a surefire OAD), I would want my kid playing for Self because of his work with Och and Marcus Morris. That's more persuasive than his time with EMVPiid.
and Mason/Graham
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And Udoka.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:19 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:13 pm If I were a parent to an 18 year old NBA prospect, though (who is not a surefire OAD), I would want my kid playing for Self because of his work with Och and Marcus Morris. That's more persuasive than his time with EMVPiid.
and Mason/Graham
For sure. Those lotto spots just mean so much, though.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

His work with Embiid was his best work though. Joel went from green raw talent to dream shaker in a year.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:33 pm
and Mason/Graham
more than NPOY?

edit: obviously they aren’t mutually exclusive…and, i’d imagine BIFM woulda gone lotto if not for his size
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:47 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:33 pm
and Mason/Graham
more than NPOY?

edit: obviously they aren’t mutually exclusive…and, i’d imagine BIFM woulda gone lotto if not for his size
Oh I don't know--I was just talking in terms of being a parent of a player that wants to make a living playing basketball. Och probably the most impressive--unranked recruit to lotto. Outrageous.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think I would ascend happily from this planet if Ochai Agbaji hit the game winner for a National Championship.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am
NDballer13 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:59 am This reminds me of a thread I saw on either Facebook or Twitter a few weeks back about if you would want Bronny James to pick your school. The overwhelming majority was a no, with an even higher majority of the reasoning being not liking his dad.

A good amount of your fanbase might not like LeBron hanging around campus or in the facilities, but guess who would? That 16, 17, 18 yr old kid you're trying to convince to come to your school.
It seems to me that so much of LeBron's decisions/moves over the past few years have been made with profit and his brand as the major influences in those decisions/moves.
When you're an athlete the caliber of LeBron of course profit and brand influence decisions. Why is that a negative against him?
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:05 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:00 pm

Embiid is part of the money pitch. He just signed a $200 million contract.
With Kansas?
Deleted User 863

Agreed....but you think kids in 5yrs will know who Frank Mason was if they didn't know who Sherron Collins was?
Deleted User 863

Sparko wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:36 pm His work with Embiid was his best work though. Joel went from green raw talent to dream shaker in a year.
I think Joel deserves as much credit as Self. He did the vast majority of his development AFTER he left KU.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:34 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:30 am I know jersey retirement would cause a shitstorm of a discussion here. But, there should be a discussion of some kind of recognition. MVP and HOF--I think only Wilt can make that claim.
Give him some real estate in the museum, a display case.
He didn't win MVP at Kansas. He actually didn't do that much at Kansas.
Jeez, you're a tough critic! The guy was a First team All-American (twice) and most outstanding player in the NCAA tournament.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.