Commute vs Pay Cut

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Commute vs Pay Cut

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I may have an interesting dilemma on my hands.

I pretty much got offered a job recently to do something a bit different in the financial field involving higher education. The job is close to home, like 5 minutes close, offers flexible work/life balance and some other pretty good benefits in PTO, holidays and the like. However it’s going to be about a 20% pay cut from my current job which I’m just not feeling and it’s about a 40 mile/35 minute drive to and from each day.

Do I take a leap of faith and do something a bit different in a position created for me with a cut in salary or continue to do the longer commute at a job that I don’t love coming to daily, doesn’t offer a great work/life balance like they say they do and just deal with the stuff that comes with it?

After difference in pay, cheaper benefits and less gas/car maintenance, I would still be shorting myself about a total of 5% in overall compensation but being home and saving parts of my day and attending more of my kids stuff and not being late a lot may be worth it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Commute vs Pay Cut

Post by KUTradition »

live to work, or work to live
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

20% is a big cut tho…
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:34 pm 20% is a big cut tho…
at face value, sure

but how much is happiness and more time with family worth?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

5% overall cut at the end is not too bad. Maybe you can talk them into a salary that is 15% cut rather than 20% ….. but I’m with Trad overall. Hopefully you will get caught up in a few years with the annual raises
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

zsn wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 pm 5% overall cut at the end is not too bad. Maybe you can talk them into a salary that is 15% cut rather than 20% ….. but I’m with Trad overall. Hopefully you will get caught up in a few years with the annual raises
This would be my take as well.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I feel you answered your conundrum right here....

"The job is close to home, like 5 minutes close, offers flexible work/life balance and some other pretty good benefits in PTO, holidays and the like".

"or continue to do the longer commute at a job that I don’t love coming to daily, doesn’t offer a great work/life balance like they say they do and just deal with the stuff that comes with it"?

"but being home and saving parts of my day and attending more of my kids stuff and not being late a lot may be worth it".

My worthless advice is.....
As long as you can still live comfortably (financially) on what would basically amount to a 5% decrease in salary - for me it would be a no-brainer.
My question is why you chose the title of the thread. Seems it's a lot more than just the commute vs. the pay cut.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Almost seven years ago I took a 50 percent paycut for a better work life balance which included shaving almost two hours off my daily commute.

Dont regret it one bit.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Unless your expenses demand, go with the job you like most.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not that it’s any of our business, Newton, but the most important question has yet to be raised…what does your better half think?
shindig

Post by shindig »

Not dealing with the commute would be a big bonus to me. Have you asked your wife if she can get a second job to make up the difference?...:)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:45 am Unless your expenses demand, go with the job you like most.
I tend to think that, long term, you will make the most money AND be the happiest doing the thing(s) you like that you are best at. Pieces fall into place from there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:31 am not that it’s any of our business, Newton, but the most important question has yet to be raised…what does your better half think?
Not the biggest fan of the pay cut at face value. But understands other things like being close to home, cheaper benefits and a bit more vacation/time off days matter.

Having 3 kids at home is the main proponent of me even thinking about this. I leave by 7am and home by 6pm. It’s not the best as they have practices, dance class, etc. Plus, I coach some of that, so I have to be there for a lot of it.

I’m in a customer facing role primarily, so I have to be available from 8-5 M-F. This job would be 8-5 but it’s more of a non-facing role and if it’s slow, free reign to go home or work from home here and there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:17 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:31 am not that it’s any of our business, Newton, but the most important question has yet to be raised…what does your better half think?
Not the biggest fan of the pay cut at face value. But understands other things like being close to home, cheaper benefits and a bit more vacation/time off days matter.

Having 3 kids at home is the main proponent of me even thinking about this. I leave by 7am and home by 6pm. It’s not the best as they have practices, dance class, etc. Plus, I coach some of that, so I have to be there for a lot of it.

I’m in a customer facing role primarily, so I have to be available from 8-5 M-F. This job would be 8-5 but it’s more of a non-facing role and if it’s slow, free reign to go home or work from home here and there.
ugh…i’m sorry

dealing with customers can be the absolute worst
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Getting rid of a commute had a really positive impact on me. But, it didn't come with a pay cut. Pay is also really important, but a 5% decrease MIGHT be a fair trade for the benefits of the other job.

Something I would also look at is upward mobility at each, but perhaps this is the first of a few different moves.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:56 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:45 am Unless your expenses demand, go with the job you like most.
I tend to think that, long term, you will make the most money AND be the happiest doing the thing(s) you like that you are best at. Pieces fall into place from there.
Yeah, that's been my experience as well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:01 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:56 am
Yeah, that's been my experience as well.
One of the (some-to-many) pieces of advice I have that come from doing something different!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My experience as well, but it comes from such a privileged context--good to recognize that privilege and good fortune, and makes it harder to give good advice. 20% paycut is a complete nonstarter for the majority of workers.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:05 am My experience as well, but it comes from such a privileged context--good to recognize that privilege and good fortune, and makes it harder to give good advice. 20% paycut is a complete nonstarter for the majority of workers.
Totally, if you're supporting a family and living paycheck to paycheck you can't absorb a paycut like that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:05 am My experience as well, but it comes from such a privileged context--good to recognize that privilege and good fortune, and makes it harder to give good advice. 20% paycut is a complete nonstarter for the majority of workers.
True on all counts.

But certainly influences how you parent. I made most of my formative choices out of financial necessity, which is a huge influence in how I plan my own career and steer my kids - want them to have the financial and mental/emotional/etc. freedom to do what they like and are good at, even should that be (temporarily or permanently) not the most lucrative option on the table.

And I'm not talking about them being on the payroll, god no. But avoiding them being in crushing debt in their 20s? Yes.