Kansas v Baylor Official Gamethread

Kansas Basketball.
Jayhawkerr

Re: Kansas v Baylor Official Gamethread

Post by Jayhawkerr »

Sparko wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:21 pm
CJB31 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:18 pm It's been awhile since I've felt like KU had a legitimate shot at winning it all. Self is great at putting together top 10 to 25 teams consistently (regardless of where they are actually ranked) but can't seem to ever put together a team that's even close to dominant. I wouldn't mind seeing someone else as the KU HC soon.
Pretty crazing coming on here and dissing the winningest coach since 2003 in all of bb. Everyone wants championships, but you need to have six favorable matchups in a row, decent officiating, and no injuries
And some luck.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Jayhawkerr wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:40 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:21 pm
CJB31 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:18 pm It's been awhile since I've felt like KU had a legitimate shot at winning it all. Self is great at putting together top 10 to 25 teams consistently (regardless of where they are actually ranked) but can't seem to ever put together a team that's even close to dominant. I wouldn't mind seeing someone else as the KU HC soon.
Pretty crazing coming on here and dissing the winningest coach since 2003 in all of bb. Everyone wants championships, but you need to have six favorable matchups in a row, decent officiating, and no injuries
And some luck.
Word.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Arrrrrrghh, I hate making scott drew happy.
Not gonna sit well for a while.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:38 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:36 pm The out coaching, you could argue was when Baylor went small and Self didn’t adjust. He kept Dave in the game and the Zohan completely turned the game.
Shhh

I know nothing about basketball.
And what, playing KJ or Clemence or JWill at the 5 was the solve?
Like you and rockchalkblog have been jerking off to all season long?
Dave was open, repeatedly, ( and fouled late on a miss ) but that wasn't the issue. It was just not finishing and missing threes in the last moments. We weren't out coached. It was a good game against two top 10 teams.

You still know nothing about basketball.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I’m just laying out the facts.

We haven’t beaten a good (ranked) team on the road all season.

Our reliance on Ochai to score sometimes becomes incredibly too much. (Which leads to…)

Our PG issue is a problem hopefully solved by more Remy.

The same issues on the road keep happening. Missing clutch FT. Not closing halves. Going on long scoring droughts. Not coaching as well as we could…

Sure, this team is pretty darn good. Maybe the dominoes fall in front of us for a change and we get a cakewalk path, but this team has an S16/E8 meltdown of a loss written all over it.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Baylor wins the league by four games, I'll give in.
Then, i'll eat that crow.
You, doyel, were right all along.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:41 pm
sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:38 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:36 pm The out coaching, you could argue was when Baylor went small and Self didn’t adjust. He kept Dave in the game and the Zohan completely turned the game.
Shhh

I know nothing about basketball.
And what, playing KJ or Clemence or JWill at the 5 was the solve?
Like you and rockchalkblog have been jerking off to all season long?
Dave was open, repeatedly, ( and fouled late on a miss ) but that wasn't the issue. It was just not finishing and missing threes in the last moments. We weren't out coached. It was a good game against two top 10 teams.

You still know nothing about basketball.
Dave is playing on 1 foot and you’re asking him to chase a smaller, faster wing around? And it’s not like he was posting up and we were feeding him the ball on the other end.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"but this team has an S16/E8 meltdown of a loss written all over it."

Here, let me hedge my bets, and say, in a single elimination tournament of 68 teams, we will only be maybe the top 8 of those teams.

God dude.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 pm Dave is playing on 1 foot and you’re asking him to chase a smaller, faster wing around? And it’s not like he was posting up and we were feeding him the ball on the other end.
He was.
We weren't getting the ball to him.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:45 pm
sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 pm Dave is playing on 1 foot and you’re asking him to chase a smaller, faster wing around? And it’s not like he was posting up and we were feeding him the ball on the other end.
He was.
We weren't getting the ball to him.
100%. Didn’t feed him nearly enough. He had so many angles and we didn’t get it to him.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

So why was he in?!

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:44 pm "but this team has an S16/E8 meltdown of a loss written all over it."

Here, let me hedge my bets, and say, in a single elimination tournament of 68 teams, we will only be maybe the top 8 of those teams.

God dude.
E8 isn’t good enough for Kansas. Maybe for you…

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Remy is back. Maybe that will change things? But then again Self loves him some Juan…

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CJB31

Post by CJB31 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:28 pm
LOL. Just out of curiosity, who do you think we should hire
Honestly the only team I pay close attention to is KU so I couldn’t even name any of the up-and-coming coaches from smaller programs. They are always out there though just like Self was at one point after Williams left. All I know is that there are a lot of coaches doing more or as much as Self with less talent. Even Scott Drew. I would throw up in my mouth if he was ever KU’s HC but it’s just a fact that he has been better over the last few years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ochai was 8-22, 4-14 from 3.
Jalen Wilson was 2-10, 0-5 from 3.
Dejuan was 0-6.

It was a 2 point game with 4 minutes left.
We weren't out coached.

God.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Zags down 15 at half. KU could’ve been #1 Monday and the top overall 1 seed. Sigh.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:31 pm This game was our last chance to have a cherry-on-top resume boosting road win…

We’ve come up short in every high stakes road game this season and managed to lose them all in unique ways.

We came out tonight like gangbusters and looked like a well-oiled machine. Then Self got cute with the lineup and Drew found an answer to not having JTT…

Self didn’t make adjustments. Nobody could make shots.

We took a step back tonight and now play 3 games the next 7 days.

Let’s see what happens, but if we end up sharing the title you have to look back on road games that we found ways to lose. Tonight being one. Austin another.
So what? Worst case scenario we are probably a 2 seed. Seeds don't guarantee shit. Its all match ups and who's hot on any given night at that point
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:51 pm Zags down 15 at half. KU could’ve been #1 Monday and the top overall 1 seed. Sigh.
If Baylor wasn't so hurt, they'd have been #1 weeks ago.
Sigh.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CJB31 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:50 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:28 pm
LOL. Just out of curiosity, who do you think we should hire
Honestly the only team I pay close attention to is KU so I couldn’t even name any of the up-and-coming coaches from smaller programs. They are always out there though just like Self was at one point after Williams left. All I know is that there are a lot of coaches doing more or as much as Self with less talent. Even Scott Drew. I would throw up in my mouth if he was ever KU’s HC but it’s just a fact that he has been better over the last few years.
I'll have some of what he's having.

You can argue has won more consistently than anyone anywhere
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just don't think you can go 7-28 from 3 against a top 10 team and expect to win.

Were a number of those shots just chucked too fast before we had guys in rebounding position? Yes.
Do I think Self was all, fuck it Ochai, take this game, it's yours, and he just didn't happen to do it? Also yes.

Do I think we will still win the B12? Also yes.