Kansas v Baylor Official Gamethread

Kansas Basketball.
sdoyel

Re: Kansas v Baylor Official Gamethread

Post by sdoyel »

Some of this has to be on Self and his inability to trust/develop talent.

Why is there such a drop-off when starters sit? It’s a fair question.

We have PLAYERS on our bench.

It’s a bit hard to understand at times, when often some turd on the other team goes off on us and we have a bench guy who can’t even dribble the ball.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Why don’t we blame last night on 2 starters that underperformed?

Jalen Wilson and Dajuan Harris were absolutely atrocious last night.

If they play average, we win that game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

2-16.
shindig

Post by shindig »

sdoyel wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:53 pm BTW,

Mitch played 3 minutes and had 4 fouls. Registered 0 stats otherwise.

It’s time to move on from this loveable Jayhawk and give more time to KJ and Clemence.
Yep was watching the game at my brothers house, he said the same thing and that is the frustrating thing about BS. He doesn’t play his freshmen enough in the regular season and then they get playing time in Conference play due to Mitch or DM getting injured and they look like crap, and we lose in the S16. Rinse, repeat and hope for next year.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

It’s time to move on from this loveable Jayhawk and give more time to KJ and Clemence.
Which of those 3 plays depends on the match up. Thats why when Baylor went small without thamba, self went with Adam's, who is an athletic versatile stud.

But generally speaking, mitch is the best bet for this season, just too experienced and reliable. He has his limitations, but knows his role. Which is basically hustling trying to rebound block shots defend and set screens. Hes just a body and fouls.

Their time will come. Im glad self is finding them some minutes based on match ups.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:55 am Why don’t we blame last night on 2 starters that underperformed?

Jalen Wilson and Dajuan Harris were absolutely atrocious last night.

If they play average, we win that game.
THANK YOU. All you did was state the obvious, yet you sound like the voice of reason right now
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

shindig wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:04 am

Yep was watching the game at my brothers house, he said the same thing and that is the frustrating thing about BS. He doesn’t play his freshmen enough in the regular season and then they get playing time in Conference play due to Mitch or DM getting injured and they look like crap, and we lose in the S16. Rinse, repeat and hope for next year.
Maybe we should give your brother selfs job? I get what people are saying, Adam's and clemence are going to be a lot better players than mitch. But I dont think either necessarily gives us a better chance to win right now than a 6th year senior does. Be patient. They will be studs. But freshman tend to fuck up in March
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:08 am Some of this has to be on Self and his inability to trust/develop talent.

It’s a bit hard to understand at times, when often some turd on the other team goes off on us and we have a bench guy who can’t even dribble the ball.
I think its because the bench players are nervous. The starters just play their game. The bench players tend to overthink and question their roles. They know they are one mistake away getting pulled back out. Reserves here dont have the confidence or freedom starters too. Its almost the downside of having too much depth.

Self does a great job developing talent. But sometimes is too slow to trust or instill confidence in his players
shindig

Post by shindig »

randylahey wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:38 am

Maybe we should give your brother selfs job? I get what people are saying, Adam's and clemence are going to be a lot better players than mitch. But I dont think either necessarily gives us a better chance to win right now than a 6th year senior does. Be patient. They will be studs. But freshman tend to fuck up in March
They’ll be better players but perhaps not at KU if one or both enter the transfer portal due to frustration over playing time. Mitch might not make many mistakes, but he also doesn’t bring much bounce to the lineup. Just my opinion.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

shindig wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:11 am

They’ll be better players but perhaps not at KU if one or both enter the transfer portal due to frustration over playing time. Mitch might not make many mistakes, but he also doesn’t bring much bounce to the lineup. Just my opinion.
I would be shocked if either clemence or adams transferred. Both are very promising and should feel pretty optimistic about their futures here. A lot more opportunity waiting for them next year, its not like transferring is going to get them a better situation than being in line for a big role at Kansas.

If either clemence or adams got buried in the rotation next season, behind the likes of cam marin, ejoifor, udeh, and eachother, I'd expect a transfer
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:01 pm
shindig wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:11 am

I would be shocked if either clemence or adams transferred. Both are very promising and should feel pretty optimistic about their futures here. A lot more opportunity waiting for them next year, its not like transferring is going to get them a better situation than being in line for a big role at Kansas.

If either clemence or adams got buried in the rotation next season, behind the likes of cam marin, ejoifor, udeh, and eachother, I'd expect a transfer
I worry more about Clemence than Adams. There's a long history of guys like Adams succeeding in our program. Clemence is something new altogether. With the free transfer in play, I'd worry he finds a place better-suited to his skills.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think Self wants to play clemence and adams together. Their games complement each other nicely.

Only reason I'd see a transfer is if McCormack stays. But I think self's gonna make sure that his ankle is no longer functional by seasons end.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t see either of Zack or KJ going anywhere
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's probably too simplistic to say we need an eraser at the back to make our defense work, BUT it was sure nice having that span where, with almost no gaps, we had Cole/Withey/Embiid/Doke.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:50 pm It's probably too simplistic to say we need an eraser at the back to make our defense work, BUT it was sure nice having that span where, with almost no gaps, we had Cole/Withey/Embiid/Doke.
Udeh is built like that. You can compare his physical tools to a slightly less gifted embiid
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:37 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:50 pm It's probably too simplistic to say we need an eraser at the back to make our defense work, BUT it was sure nice having that span where, with almost no gaps, we had Cole/Withey/Embiid/Doke.
Udeh is built like that. You can compare his physical tools to a slightly less gifted embiid
Yes. But I had high hopes for Diallo, too, and even Muscadin in time.

So, let’s see it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:08 am Some of this has to be on Self and his inability to trust/develop talent.

Self trusts his talented players. Just don't mistake "potential"for "talent". And he develops players all the time, Agbaji and Braun being the latest example.

It's just not as fast as you want it to be.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

twocoach wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:05 pm

Self trusts his talented players. Just don't mistake "potential"for "talent". And he develops players all the time, Agbaji and Braun being the latest example.

or perhaps as fast as they want it to be - hello portal
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ramjet wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:51 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:05 pm

or perhaps as fast as they want it to be - hello portal
Meh, if they are unreasoable enough to look at their current abilities and knowledge and think they should have a larger role then they should probably move on. They are both very replaceable, especially Adams. I doubt either of them came here with their class rankings expecting to get 10+ minutes a game.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

2 things:

1. we lost a game on saturday that we were supposed to lose.

2. if the kids don't want to earn their minutes, they absolutely should move on. the grass is always greener.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"