OFFICIAL MELTDOWN THREAD

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: OFFICIAL MELTDOWN THREAD

Post by randylahey »

Saying this team isn't talented is crazy. You guys focus on recruiting stars a bit too much. This teams best player is a 1st team all american who was only a 3 star recruit. This teams most frustrating player (mccormack) was a 5 star mcdonalds all american
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm And if confidence isn’t the issue, then why the dip in shots?
How many more shots per 100 possessions is Ochai taking this season compared to last?

My guess is that may lead us to the answer.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Self certainly doesn't care about recruiting stars. Look at the dajuan harris situation. Dajuan is the least heralded recruit on the roster, and justifiably so, just watch him for 2 seconds and you can tell he's the least talented player on the team. And self just can't get enough dajuan
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I'm pretty sure Dajuan was a higher ranked recruit than Yesufu...
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:17 pm I'm pretty sure Dajuan was a higher ranked recruit than Yesufu...
Dajuan was ranked higher in high school than Ochai was as well.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:17 pm I'm pretty sure Dajuan was a higher ranked recruit than Yesufu...
does one single person on this board think that dajuan is more talented than yesefu though?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:28 pm Self certainly doesn't care about recruiting stars. Look at the dajuan harris situation. Dajuan is the least heralded recruit on the roster, and justifiably so, just watch him for 2 seconds and you can tell he's the least talented player on the team. And self just can't get enough dajuan
You're the only one who brought up recruit rankings.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The problem is we got out-athleticked by a tcu team that had a losing big12 record and never does much in recruiting.

Roster built on transfers, but still how is true more athletic than we are?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:11 pm The problem is we got out-athleticked by a tcu team that had a losing big12 record and never does much in recruiting.

Roster built on transfers, but still how is true more athletic than we are?
They were also bigger, not just more athletic. Felt like they were tougher too
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Why is Self against playing small and creating mismatches? Imagine Lampkin defending a perimeter wing…

Basically what Baylor did to us with Sochan. Dave couldn’t guard him.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

sdoyel wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:48 pm Why is Self against playing small and creating mismatches? Imagine Lampkin defending a perimeter wing…

Basically what Baylor did to us with Sochan. Dave couldn’t guard him.
Sochan has elite defensive skills and athletic ability. We have nobody on our roster quite like him.

Self isn't against playing small. We play mitch and KJ as our backups 5s and they're both small.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Sochan is what Bill envisioned Enaruna could be.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Because he thinks Dave is way better than you think he is.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:32 am Because he thinks Dave is way better than you think he is.
Dave is way better than most of our fans give him credit for.

We are spoiled because we expect everyone to turn into Cole Dok Withey TRob type players. But that's not realistic. Dave was probably a bit overrrated out of HS due to his size. He came in a grown man and likely manhandled HS competition.

He is a very good college player. One of the best offensive rebounders in the country. He's just not high end/NBA type talent. Which we expect at KU, and that's reasonable, but we won't have future NBA players at all 5 starter spots very often. Especially not with the recruiting cloud hanging over us that has put us at a disadvantage the last several years.

I actually think this team is overachieving rather than underachieving.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Kansas' best road win (@ Iowa State) just scored 36 points at home on Senior Night against Oklahoma State...
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:25 pm Saying this team isn't talented is crazy. You guys focus on recruiting stars a bit too much. This teams best player is a 1st team all american who was only a 3 star recruit. This teams most frustrating player (mccormack) was a 5 star mcdonalds all american
It's not that I don't think they are talented. I just think that this team's talent level is much less than their expectation level. That's 100% due to having an elite head coach. They are a notch below all of the other contenders in pure talent.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yes, we have a great class coming in next year, but another Wichita native in Grady. Isn't KJ from Wichita? We don't seem to have much luck with Wichita guys...lol.

And how does Wichita have more HS talent than KC? Last good KC guy was Brandon I believe, could be wrong.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

KJ is from Austin.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

shindig wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:27 am Yes, we have a great class coming in next year, but another Wichita native in Grady. Isn't KJ from Wichita? We don't seem to have much luck with Wichita guys...lol.

And how does Wichita have more HS talent than KC? Last good KC guy was Brandon I believe, could be wrong.
Assuming you're not counting Ochai, the only KC player that wasn't a walk-on between Brandon and Ochai was Travis Releford.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:19 am
shindig wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:27 am Yes, we have a great class coming in next year, but another Wichita native in Grady. Isn't KJ from Wichita? We don't seem to have much luck with Wichita guys...lol.

Assuming you're not counting Ochai, the only KC player that wasn't a walk-on between Brandon and Ochai was Travis Releford.
Burlington is probably close enough to KC to consider it KC, so that could add Reed and Braun. Morningstar from Lawrence.

KC has much, much better homegrown talent than Wichita. They don’t always pick KU. Robinson-Earl and Mark Mitchell being guys as of late.

The thing that makes Wichita look like they have a lot of talent is Sunrise Christian Academy but almost all of them are from out of state. The exception will be Gradey Dick who is the best player out of Wichita in a very long time.

Kansas City, though, has players all over the Big 12 and then a ton at smaller schools like Missouri State and other mid-majors.