jfish26
Contributor

Re: OFFICIAL MELTDOWN THREAD

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:07 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:03 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:00 am

LOL

There is a decent chance he will end up in the rafters. Concensus AA and 3x all big 12. Plus he's up there on the all time scoring and rebounds lists.
Up to Bill if he wants to change the criteria. Consensus Second Team AA isn't presently enough. Nor is 2x 1st Team All Big 12. Nor is "up there" on some lists.
I thought it was interesting in a presser last week that Bill kind of tipped his hat on a bright line criteria. When it came to Och, he in more words or less said that he hoped Och got Big 12 POY because that means rafters for him.
I heard that. And I don't see him relaxing standards any time soon given the backlog.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:07 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:03 am

Up to Bill if he wants to change the criteria. Consensus Second Team AA isn't presently enough. Nor is 2x 1st Team All Big 12. Nor is "up there" on some lists.
I thought it was interesting in a presser last week that Bill kind of tipped his hat on a bright line criteria. When it came to Och, he in more words or less said that he hoped Och got Big 12 POY because that means rafters for him.
I heard that. And I don't see him relaxing standards any time soon given the backlog.
Right, as we have always said, Rush is an exception, and probably the lone one, because you had to get more than just Rio up there from the Natty team.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:09 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:07 am

Right, as we have always said, Rush is an exception, and probably the lone one, because you had to get more than just Rio up there from the Natty team.
Well there's Cole ;)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Perry hangs out with your Kevin Pritchards, Rex Walters, Keith Langfords, Tyshawn Taylors of the world.
Great Jayhawks, just not good enough to be up there.

They retired Cole's jersey. I don't think he deserved to have it retired.
I was pretty on the fence with Marcus Morris as well.

So, for me, if Cole can't make it, and Marcus Morris can't make it, Perry definitely can't make it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ha. So we have left:

Thomas Robinson
Frank Mason
Devonte' Graham
Udoka Azubuike would be borderline for me, but the DPOY might tip the scale
Ochai Agbaji
Christian Braun with a shot assuming 2023
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Cole makes it, then Dok certainly makes it.
Cole wasn't B12POY.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think Cole made it a lot due to the Academic NPOY thing--we have a couple of those up there (Vaughn?). His case is very weak without it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Vaughn was B8POY and made 2 1st team B12 teams.
2nd team AA.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Dok’s got a final four, 2nd team AA, big 12 POY, and an ncaa record for fg%.

That’s pretty decorated.

And what’s the dpoy? Wasn’t that his teammate Marcus?
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://nabc.com/awards/dpoy/

2020 Udoka Azubuike Kansas
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Oh right on.

Put him up there.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Ochai very well may but it overwhelmingly depends on the next month.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yep, it was Vaughn, who would not have made it if criteria weren't changed:

The original criteria for a retired jersey included KU players named college basketball player of the year, most valuable player of the NCAA Tournament or being named a four-time All-American.

The list was expanded in 1997 to include Ray Evans, who holds the distinction of being an All-American in both football and basketball.

The criteria was expanded prior to the 2002-03 season to include consensus first-team All-Americans, two-time first-team All-America selections and Academic All-American of the Year.

https://kuinfo.ku.edu/what-are-qualific ... 2DAmerican.

Vaughn retired in December 2002.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Qusdahl wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:23 am Ochai very well may but it overwhelmingly depends on the next month.
Not really. He's going to be the conference POY. Box = checked.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Qusdahl wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:23 am Ochai very well may but it overwhelmingly depends on the next month.
Nothing is going to unseat Och as Big 12 POY.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well, it seems that B12POY may get you up there.
I think he has that in the bag.
But he could no doubt seal it with a 1st team AA selection - so yes, he's got a month for that.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i have zero issues within Academic All Americans being up there

1) they are, in fact, students

2) even having tutors, achieving such a thing while balancing practice, travel and games is quite a feat
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think I am drinking all that much kool-aid to say I think there is almost no chance that Och does not make consensus First Team AA. The season as a whole he has been incredible.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:27 am i have zero issues within Academic All Americans being up there

1) they are, in fact, students

2) even having tutors, achieving such a thing while balancing practice, travel and games is quite a feat
I forgot Cole got that award.
I have no issue then with his name hanging.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:27 am I don't think I am drinking all that much kool-aid to say I think there is almost no chance that Och does not make consensus First Team AA. The season as a whole he has been incredible.
Maybe I’m going for too much Devil’s advocate downer guttermeter here, but he and the team are loosing momentum. This is the meltdown thread, after all.

When are AA votes counted?

If he maintains. 20+ppg to finish the season and votes are tallied while he’s still going strong in the sweet 16, yeah.

If his dip in numbers endures and we don’t make it out of the first weekend, guttermeter-8.