Yesefu starting tonight

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Yesefu starting tonight

Post by randylahey »

Heard it through the grapevine. Self finally letting his stubbornness go and shaking things up
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Yesefu starting tonight

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Is this like all the other times when your grapevine was sending you messages that Remy was playing during his 7-game hiatus?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I'll believe it when I see it.

Although, yes it should probably happen.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If it happens, I don't like it all that much.

I mean, randy is the guy that said adding James Harden at the trade deadline was a bad sign for the Sixers because there was only 2 months of regular season left.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Maybe it's at the 5. Create mismatches! Self never tries anything new.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Assuming this is true...look, I understand that it's easy to be pessimistic coming off back to back losses (the latter of which was pretty goddamn pathetic).

But.

It's very very not good that it's March and Bill still has no idea who to play.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:48 pm Assuming this is true...look, I understand that it's easy to be pessimistic coming off back to back losses (the latter of which was pretty goddamn pathetic).

But.

When will we ever learn that depth and Bill Self don't go together very well. Give him 7 kind of undervalued guys and he'll do way better with that then 2 stars and 8 average guys. It's a proven history now.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:50 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:48 pm Assuming this is true...look, I understand that it's easy to be pessimistic coming off back to back losses (the latter of which was pretty goddamn pathetic).

But.

When will we ever learn that depth and Bill Self don't go together very well. Give him 7 kind of undervalued guys and he'll do way better with that then 2 stars and 8 average guys. It's a proven history now.
Of course, this could be every coach, but it is looking like point guard is the most important position for a Bill Self team to be really good.

That is why he went out and got Remy (and Yesufu). Of course, for whatever reason we want to attribute it to, that hasn't gone to plan.
Deleted User 863

I think evaluating transfers is very difficult. I believe Self fully expected Remy to be the guy we needed, but he just didn't end up being as good as Self thought he might be.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:05 pm I think evaluating transfers is very difficult.
Yes.
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:05 pm I believe Self fully expected Remy to be the guy we needed,
Yes.
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:05 pm but he just didn't end up being as good as Self thought he might be.
No.
Deleted User 863

Remy is not an elite college player. Sorry. He just isn't. That's why he's still in college. And that's why he's behind DH on the depth chart.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Strawman. Didn't say he was elite.

The "what if" and not knowing is what is maddening. Just like with Selby, Diallo, etc.

Marcus Carr is a good example. Remy played better than Carr at the beginning, even with rumors that Carr might even quit. After getting comfortable, Carr fits in and plays well.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I could see Self stubbornly thinking he might mold Remy from an undersized scorer into an actual PG.

Or that, with enough handlers at the 2-4, maybe he could play a guy like Remy regardless.

But yeah, it’s not good that we still don’t have a goddamn rotation figured out.

And even if Joe DOES start, I could see him getting pulled by the under-16 timeout anyway.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Qusdahl wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:17 pmI could see Self stubbornly thinking he might mold Remy from an undersized scorer into an actual PG.
If you're going to ask a tiger to change his stripes, he needs a ton of reps.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:16 pm Strawman. Didn't say he was elite.

The "what if" and not knowing is what is maddening. Just like with Selby, Diallo, etc.

Marcus Carr is a good example. Remy played better than Carr at the beginning, even with rumors that Carr might even quit. After getting comfortable, Carr fits in and plays well.
I didn't say YOU said he was elite.

I simply said that he isn't elite.

He had a good 1st game of the season against Mich State. Then pretty much the rest of his big scoring games were against our early season cupcakes looking through his game log.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:22 pmHe had a good 1st game of the season against Mich State. Then pretty much the rest of his big scoring games were against our early season cupcakes looking through his game log.
i.e. before the injury

Again, not saying if there wasn't an injury that he would be fine and great and playing at an all-league type level--it is that the not knowing is maddening.

Maybe the 2019 team still sucks if Udoka doesn't get hurt and they still fail to live up the #1 preseason ranking with Vick melting down. Who knows, it sucks.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I do think what I've learned from the last several seasons is that if you are counting on a one-year transfer to play starting point guard, maybe the most important position, then the team has more question marks than you think, no matter how good the transfer was.

One-year transfers seem to be better for role players. Moss and JCL, just shoot. Tarik, just use your size.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:31 pm I do think what I've learned from the last several seasons is that if you are counting on a one-year transfer to play starting point guard, maybe the most important position, then the team has more question marks than you think, no matter how good the transfer was.

One-year transfers seem to be better for role players. Moss and JCL, just shoot. Tarik, just use your size.
Agreed.

Even our best point guards have always taken a year or 2 to really find their stride.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Which brings us back to Yesufu. If Remy gives us the better chance to go to a Final Four this season, you play him a lot the next 10 days. If not, go with Joe and get him ready for the tournament and for 2023 (and 2024). We found Harris's ceiling and it's not all that great.

This situation is also why fans have always wanted Bill to let guys loose earlier in the season. We make fun of Coach Cal a lot for losing early games, but most of his guys love playing for him.
Deleted User 863

I think Self is generally loved by his players just as much as Cal. They have had transfer issues and players that have underperformed too.

We feel it more with KU because that's our team.

It's entirely believable that Yesufu is better than Remy at this very moment for this team...and if Self plays Yesufu over Remy I think it has little to do with winning games in any season but the one we are already in.

Yesufu looked better alongside DH than Remy did imo.