OFFICIAL Gamethread: TCU

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: OFFICIAL Gamethread: TCU

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:56 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 am if we win, they were a good matchup for us. if we don't, they were not.

simple as that.
TCU is a bad matchup for us and we won.
In AFH. Barely. I think if last night's game was at a neutral site that KU loses.
I agree with this, but I think if you watched last night's game with the sound off and no scoreboard you'd think we won by 15. (Same with the first 10 minutes against Baylor). We seem to play inefficiently even when we play well lately, and that hadn't been the case most of the year.

I gotta think law of averages and all that, that if we keep playing well, our efficiency will start to look more like normal again.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:29 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 am if we win, they were a good matchup for us. if we don't, they were not.

simple as that.
TCU is a bad matchup for us and we won.
In AFH. Barely. I think if last night's game was at a neutral site that KU loses.
Sure, just rolling my eyes at MICH's logic.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

common occurrence
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:32 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:32 am
Current 7 seeds on bracketmatrix.com
7 seeds:
Iowa
Michigan State
Colorado State
Boise State
8 seeds:
Murray State
Iowa State
Seton Hall
Marquette
9 seeds:
TCU
San Diego State
Davidson
San Francisco
10 seeds:
Xavier
Creighton
Wyoming
Wake Forest

Or you get one of the 6 seeds like LSU, USC, Ohio State or St. Mary's that drops a weird game and falls to a 7 seed. I wouldn't pick KU against any of those 4 teams except probably St. Mary's and they just beat Gonzaga last week.
It would take going through all the numbers, but any of those teams that can effectively slow pace and have a high offensive rebound percentage are going to be tougher for us.
Length and athleticism are our kryptonite. That's how you slow us down, you beat us getting back (athleticism) and you keep us in front of you extend defense and challenge our shot (length)

Without looking at every roster, or pretending I know every team listed...In simplest terms I think the teams we'd struggle with would be the 7-10 teams from major conferences (recruit better athletes but not skilled enough to be better) and not midmajor types (usually skilled teams but lacking size and elite athletes). As a general rule (with lots of exceptions)
Getting way ahead of myself, but of all the potential 1 seeds, Auburn does seem like the best draw. First, they're overrated if you believe the metrics. Then Pearl would not change things up, he would happily play a track meet, but so would we.

Of course, the one thing that terrifies me of Auburn is that they have this year's Isaiah Mobley.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:53 am

It would take going through all the numbers, but any of those teams that can effectively slow pace and have a high offensive rebound percentage are going to be tougher for us.
Length and athleticism are our kryptonite. That's how you slow us down, you beat us getting back (athleticism) and you keep us in front of you extend defense and challenge our shot (length)

Without looking at every roster, or pretending I know every team listed...In simplest terms I think the teams we'd struggle with would be the 7-10 teams from major conferences (recruit better athletes but not skilled enough to be better) and not midmajor types (usually skilled teams but lacking size and elite athletes). As a general rule (with lots of exceptions)
Getting way ahead of myself, but of all the potential 1 seeds, Auburn does seem like the best draw. First, they're overrated if you believe the metrics. Then Pearl would not change things up, he would happily play a track meet, but so would we.

Of course, the one thing that terrifies me of Auburn is that they have this year's Isaiah Mobley.
Assuming we survive our Round of 32 match up, we'd still have to get through a 3 seed to get to a 1 seed. If we get put in the Midwest bracket then we're looking at Purdue. In Chicago. Talk about a terrible match up. They have an NBA caliber guard, a 7'4" center and some good complementary pieces. Then our reward for winning that would be either Arizona or Auburn as the #1 seed in the Midwest.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:37 am

Assuming we survive our Round of 32 match up, we'd still have to get through a 3 seed to get to a 1 seed. If we get put in the Midwest bracket then we're looking at Purdue. In Chicago. Talk about a terrible match up. They have an NBA caliber guard, a 7'4" center and some good complementary pieces. Then our reward for winning that would be either Arizona or Auburn as the #1 seed in the Midwest.
While I think our resume should stand on its own if we beat Texas tomorrow and then pick up two more (including Tech) in KC, I have a feeling we're pointed toward the Big 12 Championship game being for a 1 seed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, several times throughout this season I have felt Purdue looks like the most complete team in the country. I would buy that they have kind of underachieved to this point. Purdue as a 3 is why you don't want to give away the 1 seed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It seems the 1 seeds will be:

Gonzaga
Arizona
Auburn or Kentucky
Baylor or Kansas

I would guess that Wisconsin could slide in there if some conference tourney pandemonium happens. Duke seems locked into a 2 seed.

Is there any chance that both Auburn and Kentucky are 1 seeds if UK beats AU in a close championship game?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:41 am

While I think our resume should stand on its own if we beat Texas tomorrow and then pick up two more (including Tech) in KC, I have a feeling we're pointed toward the Big 12 Championship game being for a 1 seed.
If Kansas wins Saturday then they will be the #1 seed in the Big 12 tourney. They have the tiebreaker over Baylor. Because KU went 1-1 versus Baylor, the next tiebreaker is "Each team’s record versus the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage." Kansas went 1-1 vs. Texas Tech while Baylor went 0-2 against them. That means that Baylor and Texas Tech would be the #2 and #3 seeds on the other side of the bracket and we wouldn't face either of them until the Big 12 finals.

I agree that if Kansas wins out from now until Selection Sunday that they should earn a #1 seed, especially if they beat Texas in the Big 12 semis and either Baylor or Texas Tech in the Big 12 final.

I just don't see us winning all of those games. I hope I am wrong and they win out, earn the #1 seed in the Midwest and advance to the Final Four by ending Coach K's career in an Elite Eight game in his hometown of Chicago.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:42 am

Yes, several times throughout this season I have felt Purdue looks like the most complete team in the country. I would buy that they have kind of underachieved to this point. Purdue as a 3 is why you don't want to give away the 1 seed.
Man, it's all about perspective with Purdue, right? There's a case to be made that Painter has a pretty galling tournament history, particularly with a good team. So he either kinda stinks...or he's due.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Unlikely, but I believe that if both Baylor and KU lose on Saturday that Texas Tech is the 1 seed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:53 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:42 am

Man, it's all about perspective with Purdue, right? There's a case to be made that Painter has a pretty galling tournament history, particularly with a good team. So he either kinda stinks...or he's due.
He may tighten up in the tourney, and you have to figure Bill is kind of in his head at this point.

But, he has the #1 KenPom offense this time around. Maybe it's his turn.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:53 am Unlikely, but I believe that if both Baylor and KU lose on Saturday that Texas Tech is the 1 seed.
Correct, if there is a 3 way tie at the top, Texas Tech gets the #1 seed in KC because they have the tiebreaker over Baylor in head to head and the tiebreaker over Kansas because of that same head to head advantage over Baylor.

And yes, very unlikely as Baylor gets a home game vs. Iowa State fresh off their 36 point outing.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Then the scenario is (assuming a Tech win):

KU wins: 1 seed
KU loses and Baylor wins: 3 seed
KU loses and Baylor loses: 2 seed
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:58 am Then the scenario is:

KU wins: 1 seed
KU loses and Baylor wins: 3 seed
KU loses and Baylor loses: 2 seed
Yep, you got it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

To go from a 2 game lead late in the conference season to a 3 seed in conference tourney would be an automatic DQ for Self as CoY.

It's probably Mark Adams regardless.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:01 am To go from a 2 game lead late in the conference season to a 3 seed in conference tourney would be an automatic DQ for Self as CoY.

Since the unoffical name of the Big 12 CoY trophy is "The Coach Not Name Bill Self Who Finished Higher Than Picked in Preseason Polling Award" you are probably right that Adams has it wrapped up.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:04 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:01 am To go from a 2 game lead late in the conference season to a 3 seed in conference tourney would be an automatic DQ for Self as CoY.

Since the unoffical name of the Big 12 CoY trophy is "The Coach Not Name Bill Self Who Finished Higher Than Picked in Preseason Polling Award" you are probably right that Adams has it wrapped up.
Never you mind that we've done it without the guy the other coaches picked as the preseason POY.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:12 am

Never you mind that we've done it without the guy the other coaches picked as the preseason POY.
This.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:12 am

Big 12 CoY is the biggest joke of an award in the sport. It has gotten absurd. Fifteen Big 12 titles and just 6 Big 12 CoY awards. He won 2 national CoY awards in 2015-2016 but the Big 12 gave it to Tubby Smith for finishing 9-9 in Big 12 play. "Congrats on sucking way less than we thought you would when we lazily filled out our preseason polls, you win Big 12 Coach of the Year!"
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.