KU Women's BB

Other Sports.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU Women's BB

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

With the smaller size of the women's ball, post play is so much more crucial in the women's game. Every post shot put up goes in off the glass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Every fucking shot.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Stanford is so good.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

And some home cooking. But honestly there are less good women basketball players and they get funneled mostly to a few schools who get to play home tournament games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:18 pm Stanford is so good.
They just showed a highlight of a Stanford player getting a steal and dunking it on the break. What the?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Damn. Outscored by 17 in the 3rd quarter. Good season to build on.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Gutter posted that already. I am proud of what the women accomplished but they sure got a shitty draw. Stanford looks like the easy national champion.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... cocks-no-1

"Kansas has cracked The Associated Press women's basketball poll for the first time in nearly 10 years after a huge win while South Carolina remained the unanimous No. 1 team.

The 22nd-ranked Jayhawks routed then-12th-ranked Arizona by 27 points on the road to break into the AP Top 25 released Monday."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

They seem to have the right coach in place now. It's great to see the KU women enjoying success and being nationally relevant. There's really no good reason for them not to be.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm still not quite convinced that this is the right coach, there's also been a lot of underwhelming during his tenure. But, I think this team is good. They're demolishing teams including a good Arizona team.

KU needs to beef up NIL system-wide to keep it going. It does look like things are improving there as the women got its biggest recruit ever in a senior 5* from KC-area.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Maybe someone on here knows, but whatever happened at the end of the Marian Washington years seems to have put the women behind the 8-ball. They certainly weren't Tennessee or La Tech over those early years, but they were solid and should have been able to trade on the Kansas name and Allen Fieldhouse just as much as the men. They should own the Midlands. Maybe this is the permanent turnaround, but, yeah, this coach was supposed to get there quicker.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I forgot she was at KU for damn near 30 years. KU had spurts with Bonnie, but man she was not good.

Schneider is something like 60% win percentage since 2019 season. Not bad. Big 12 is a strong women's conference with schools like OU, Baylor, Texas, Iowa State and even Oklahoma State.

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

When did KState drop off the planet?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Talking more about since Schneider took over. kstate hasn’t been good for a while.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Arjhawk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:42 pm Maybe someone on here knows, but whatever happened at the end of the Marian Washington years seems to have put the women behind the 8-ball. They certainly weren't Tennessee or La Tech over those early years, but they were solid and should have been able to trade on the Kansas name and Allen Fieldhouse just as much as the men. They should own the Midlands. Maybe this is the permanent turnaround, but, yeah, this coach was supposed to get there quicker.
Were there reports of toxic culture at the end of Washington's tenure? I don't know for sure on that, it just rings a bell for some reason--no intention of libel or slandering.

I tend to think women's basketball suffered the same fate as the rest of the non-men's basketball programs at KU in the 90's: the department just didn't give a shit. And with limited funds, how are you going to attract talent and coaching talent in such a small state with so few local recruiting pools.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Yeah, that's what I don't remember/know. She was a legend and probably deserved to go out on her own terms, but she was sort of pushed aside - not fired if I remember correctly, but bumped "upstairs". Being lazy and not looking it up, but I do think her records had started to slide. You're probably right that a general malaise over the department had something to do with it. Maybe health as well. But it just seemed odd they couldn't do better. Where's Lynette?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Lost a 3 OT game in Lincoln. Tough way to lose a first game.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I should know this but,,,, are the women's games on espn-?
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Jumped up just one spot after blowing a pretty good Okie State team out on the road.

Going to sound odd, but if I had to choose between a Final Four in MBB or WBB this season, I would have to think about it for awhile. Overall athletic department momentum is important to me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Women picked up a huge win for their NCAA tournament chances last night against 23 Iowa State.

Win v TCU and win 1 B12 tournament game and that’s a lock.