Where to Watch: Chicago?

Coffee talk.
oreadical

Where to Watch: Chicago?

Post by oreadical »

Word up peeps. I'm in Chicago for a concert during opening weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Where's the KU bar(s) to watch the games?

TIA. Much love.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Where to Watch: Chicago?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There's only one choice, Kincade's.

Still have their outside KU flag up 24/7.

I was most recently there for the Oklahoma game and, while there was no official watch party, there were 10 or so tables "reserved" for KU fans by having paper Jayhawks on the tables.

https://kincadesbar.com/
oreadical

Post by oreadical »

Allsome. It's only a mile and a half to our hotel.

Much appreciated!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's right next to the Armitage stop (purple, brown line) but also easily walkable Fullerton (red) if you don't want to do a transfer.

Edit: wait, is that St. Patrick's Day? Yikes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

oreadical!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:36 pmoreadical!
^^^^
long time, no see
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
oreadical

Post by oreadical »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:32 pm It's right next to the Armitage stop (purple, brown line) but also easily walkable Fullerton (red) if you don't want to do a transfer.

Edit: wait, is that St. Patrick's Day? Yikes.
If we play on Thursday it is.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Hey oread - nice to see you!
To each their own but I feel CNB gave you questionable advice. ;(

1. Kincade's sucks unless you like....
A) To hang with KU fans that don't have a clue who Larry Brown is and if you asked them to name a player on the 1988 team - they can't even name Manning.
B) Loud, obnoxious, drunk late teen early 20 year old girls who 75% of them will be talking/screaming about everything other than the game.
C) TV/music/audio volume so loud (and often on a slight delay) that when you leave - between the screaming girls and the horrible sound system, there is a decent chance your ears will be ringing.
D) Fair at best food.
Also, KU wise, that place is cursed for me (and every other KU fan who has watched a KU loss in it) and I will never step foot in there again for a KU game.

2. Taking the 'el? Really? I would take a hard pass on that unless it is/was necessary. Let's see, these days, there is a decent chance you will experience one or more of the following things. Seeing someone getting mugged, stabbed, shot. Seeing a homeless person urinate. Seeing a drug addict shooting/snorting up. Contracting the "fungus" and/or some other lovely disease.

3. CNB did hit the nail on the head by saying "wait, is that St. Patrick's Day? Yikes".
Unfortunately we have more like St.Patrick's WEEKEND in this city and it's a complete shit show - depending on where you are.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
oreadical

Post by oreadical »

Thanks gutman. I like your new (to me) user name.

How does St Pat's work in Chicago? I know the weekend before is the parade (we won't be there), but is the actual St Patrick's Day a mess, too?

We've heard mixed info about the L. From don't take it all vs. only take it during the day. We've ridden the street cars in NOLA and the downtown train in Denver. Besides seeing a guy smoking meth on the train in Denver, we've had no issues. But we plan on mainly uber around when we need to get somewhere.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

oreadical wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:18 am Thanks gutman. I like your new (to me) user name.

How does St Pat's work in Chicago? I know the weekend before is the parade (we won't be there), but is the actual St Patrick's Day a mess, too?

We've heard mixed info about the L. From don't take it all vs. only take it during the day. We've ridden the street cars in NOLA and the downtown train in Denver. Besides seeing a guy smoking meth on the train in Denver, we've had no issues. But we plan on mainly uber around when we need to get somewhere.
I hope you realize I was being purposely negative - to an extreme.

Kincade's is fine. Typical local bar that can get rowdy during games. Not sure if the big back room is still open but if it is, at least you have room to roam around and not feel like a sardine.

Correct - The GOOD parade (South Side) is on the 13th. The dying of the river downtown is on the 12th.
So in other words, THIS weekend are the primary celebration fiasco/s.
Actual St.Patricks Day usually isn't too bad.

I happen to feel The El is ok to take during "normal hours". Just be alert/aware of what's going on around you. These two links kind of give you an idea that yes, there is a problem.....

https://www.audacy.com/wbbm780/news/loc ... cmp=3-9-22

https://www.audacy.com/wbbm780/news/loc ... line-train
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The el is fine in that it’s on par with NYC and DC shenanigans. Red line is the biggest shit show but is a pretty important artery with frequent trains. We even rode the red line on Friday night in February and it was fine, dirty, of course. Did a Lyft for the late night ride, though.

With St. Pat’s day, both public transport and Uber/Lyft will not be fun to deal with. Chicago is crazy about it—all weekend party.

For gutter’s post: back room at Kincade’s was open for OU game. Was also the day before super bowl, so bengals fans were there as it is official bengals bar, too.
oreadical

Post by oreadical »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 am
I hope you realize I was being purposely negative - to an extreme.
Does the Pope shit in the woods?
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

Lottie's in Bucktown used to be a great KU bar...perhaps things have changed. Gutter, any insight on that?

Welcome back Oreadical
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Good to see you Oreadical!
oreadical

Post by oreadical »

We made it. Driving 'under' on Wacker was a little unsettling. It seems alright here in Diversey. The brown line doesn't seem too bad and will get us pretty much wherever we need to go.

Cheers!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

oreadical wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:47 am We made it. Driving 'under' on Wacker was a little unsettling. It seems alright here in Diversey. The brown line doesn't seem too bad and will get us pretty much wherever we need to go.

Cheers!
Welcome to the jungle!
We've got fun and games - of all kinds.
If you have nothing else to do and want a psycho (fat bald coffee fetcher) to buy you (and whoever you are with) a drink or two at around 5:00pm at a place called Jake Melnick's (near where I work - and that will be showing the games on TV) let me know. I will NOT be going to Kincade's later this evening - but the more I think about it, the more I think it will be a good place for you to watch the KU game.
Unfortunately, the weather here is supposed to suck tomorrow and Saturday.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

oreadical wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:47 am We made it. Driving 'under' on Wacker was a little unsettling. It seems alright here in Diversey. The brown line doesn't seem too bad and will get us pretty much wherever we need to go.

Cheers!
Welcome!

Lol on Wacker - I've lived here almost 15 years and have never driven on lower Wacker. Seems intimidating.
oreadical

Post by oreadical »

Luckily it was my wife driving. Time to go shotgun Beck's down at the shore.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hope Gutter and oreadical meet up.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:13 pm I hope Gutter and oreadical meet up.
I understand his (her?) desire to avoid me but.......
I have a feeling I know what concert oread is going to and if I am right, I'll be there too.