Will Smith and Chris Rock

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Will Smith and Chris Rock

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:16 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:01 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:47 am If Fresh Prince hadn’t slapped Chris Rock, I wouldn’t haven even known the Oscars happened.
Wait, Prince slapped The Rock?

I have questions. Deep questions.
random tangent

apparently prince was a pretty damn good basketball player and would have some pretty high level pick up games at his mansion late at night with some decently big name players.

he also used to play occasionally in these games......while wearing heels....wtf....
you been talking to Charlie Murphy?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:51 am Kareem is correct far more often than he is not, and he is again correct here.

My own thoughts are how it's hilarious to see some people bitch and moan about PC culture taking over comedy but then think Will Smith was right for doing the manly thing and hitting someone that made a joke at his wife's expense.
i think he was right in standing up for his wife, just not not in the way that he did it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:23 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:51 am Kareem is correct far more often than he is not, and he is again correct here.

My own thoughts are how it's hilarious to see some people bitch and moan about PC culture taking over comedy but then think Will Smith was right for doing the manly thing and hitting someone that made a joke at his wife's expense.
i think he was right in standing up for his wife, just not not in the way that he did it
That's fair. Thing is, even if Chris Rock didn't know about her diagnosis, Smith could have easily made Rock the asshole in the whole ordeal. Instead, he exposed himself. Twice including the speech.

The whole showing love through violence take is the same logic that domestic abusers like to use.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:29 am

That's fair. Thing is, even if Chris Rock didn't know about her diagnosis, Smith could have easily made Rock the asshole in the whole ordeal. Instead, he exposed himself. Twice including the speech.

The whole showing love through violence take is the same logic that domestic abusers like to use.
completely agree

if he were a bigger/better man, he woulda just grabbed the mic and made a statement about loving his wife and supporting her through these times…wouldn’t have even had to mention rock or the joke directly
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Which is basically Kareem’s point.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:33 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:29 am

completely agree

if he were a bigger/better man, he woulda just grabbed the mic and made a statement about loving his wife and supporting her through these times…wouldn’t have even had to mention rock or the joke directly
Since we are going down this road, I think it is also very shitty for him to drag Serena and Venus Williams into the whole thing. Two innocent bystanders (and World Champions). Then triples down and compares himself and his actions to Richard, another innocent bystander and a real person.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:37 am

Which is basically Kareem’s point.
Kareem shoulda been more succinct in his statement…it got a tl:dr from me
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:22 am
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:16 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:01 am

Wait, Prince slapped The Rock?

I have questions. Deep questions.
random tangent

apparently prince was a pretty damn good basketball player and would have some pretty high level pick up games at his mansion late at night with some decently big name players.

he also used to play occasionally in these games......while wearing heels....wtf....
you been talking to Charlie Murphy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff8LEx9Mw54
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Kareem sees it all from his perch and he's a gifted writer.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Overlander would have let that dumb joke go.
Then, go have a chat with Mr Rock in private. Explain that the joke was in very poor taste and personally hurtful.

We would shake hands, bro hug, and have a drink.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Overlander wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:20 pm Overlander would have let that dumb joke go.
Then, go have a chat with Mr Rock in private. Explain that the joke was in very poor taste and personally hurtful.

Probably what Will should have done....but Will is crazy. Getting into that weird Tom Cruise territory where it's like they've become their own weird personal mix of characters/personalities.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yep. Jabbar's comment "If he was really doing it for his wife, and not his own need to prove himself, he might have thought about the negative attention this brought on them, much harsher than the benign joke." pretty much hit the nail on the head. This was about Smith showing his wife he deserves more than being cuckolded. So childish.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:32 pm
Overlander wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:20 pm Overlander would have let that dumb joke go.

Probably what Will should have done....but Will is crazy. Getting into that weird Tom Cruise territory where it's like they've become their own weird personal mix of characters/personalities.
“It's okay to be eccentric if you're rich; otherwise you're just crazy.”
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:32 pm

“It's okay to be eccentric if you're rich; otherwise you're just crazy.”
Or to assault people on live TV.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

So allegedly he was "asked" to leave.
To me, those in charge who "asked" him to leave AND THEN ALLOWED HIM TO STAY are as big of pieces of spineless shit for doing as such as he was for what he did.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... s-refused/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what’d chris rock wake up with monday morning?

fresh prints
Deleted User 863

He roasted them a few years ago too.

https://youtu.be/ql54DPd44TQ