twocoach

Re: Damn It Feels Good to be a Jayhawk

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:20 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:15 am
hoopla wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:26 am

haters gonna hate
It's not a hate thing.

You think K helped his legacy his last 1-3ish years? Maybe more. He got weird. Angry. Out of touch.

This is a young mans game. Self is already a top 10 college coach of all time. He deserves to ride off into the sunset whenever he is ready....but hey, if it's 75, and passing K is something he wants to do, he'll be doing it at KU. And that'll be awesome.

I just don't think that specific record means as much to him as the team accolades and his players accolades/future successes. It rarely feels like "it's about him" if you know what I mean.
Top 5
Who's your Top 5? Coach K, Roy WIlliams, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp and Bill Self maybe?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:08 pm

It's not a hate thing.

You think K helped his legacy his last 1-3ish years? Maybe more. He got weird. Angry. Out of touch.

This is a young mans game. Self is already a top 10 college coach of all time. He deserves to ride off into the sunset whenever he is ready....but hey, if it's 75, and passing K is something he wants to do, he'll be doing it at KU. And that'll be awesome.

I just don't think that specific record means as much to him as the team accolades and his players accolades/future successes. It rarely feels like "it's about him" if you know what I mean.
Top 5
Who's your Top 5? Coach K, Roy WIlliams, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp and Bill Self maybe?
how do you mention Dean, Roy, and Rupp, but not Phog?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Top 6

1. Wooden
2. K
3. Roy
4. Rupp
5. Bill
6. Knight
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:10 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:08 pm

Top 5
how do you mention Dean, Roy, and Rupp, but not Phog?
Because I put about 4 seconds of thought into it mostly.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this argument is likely to go the way of the MJ/bron/Wilt one…or the greatest Jayhawk one

comparing different accolades across different eras makes it an almost impossible task
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Self is top 5 based on pure domination over the last 20 years. The conference championships, the winning percentage, 2 championships over 14 years and having guys with decent NBA draft and success.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

an internet search for just such a list returns some, uh, interesting results
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I don't even want to check. They'll have Jay Wright and Boeheim and Calhoun probably pretty high.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:56 pm I don't even want to check. They'll have Jay Wright and Boeheim and Calhoun probably pretty high.
lol

spot on
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:56 pm I don't even want to check. They'll have Jay Wright and Boeheim and Calhoun probably pretty high.
and Lute Olsen - met with him in my kitchen as he recruited my kid
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Lute is fine. Top 20 coach. 1 title though ain't it.

ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:16 pm Lute is fine. Top 20 coach. 1 title though ain't it.
agree, although he did show up #8 on Bleacher Report listing. Nice guy, no bullshit recruiting style.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ramjet wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:22 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:16 pm Lute is fine. Top 20 coach. 1 title though ain't it.
agree, although he did show up #8 on Bleacher Report listing. Nice guy, no bullshit recruiting style.
As a Kansas fan I say - Fuck Lute Olson!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:06 pm
hoopla wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:26 am

haters gonna hate
It's not a hate thing.

I don't think he would stick around JUST to pass Coach K. Just saying that if he coached that long, he would break the record. Self is averaging more than 27 wins a season at KU, over 28 wins a season the last 10 years and over 29 wins a season the last 7 years so he seems to be getting better and more consistent as he goes. Sure, 75 is a stupid long time to coach and I thoroughly doubt that Self will coach that long. But he on Coach K's pace is all, with no signs of slowing down whatsoever.
You don't have to convince me. I am with you.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:27 pm
ramjet wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:22 pm
As a Kansas fan I say - Fuck Lute Olson!
... break up with her
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

WTF is wrong with you guys?

Phog
Bill
Larry
Roy
Harp
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:46 pm WTF is wrong with you guys?

Phog
Bill
Larry
Roy
Harp
This guy gets it.

And in last place......Scott Drew.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

boy, last place sure does suck.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Bumping, cuz it does.
Defense. Rebounds.