Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by KUTradition »

55 straight weeks in the AP top ten

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I am hoping this off season that KT retires and Self makes a run at bringing Jacque in to learn the ropes the next 4 or 5 years before Self retires.

I like Case being on the staff.

But now that funneling money to players isn't such a big part of recruiting I am not sure what value KT is adding to this staff?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:48 am
But now that funneling money to players isn't such a big part of recruiting I am not sure what value KT is adding to this staff?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Goodman surveyed more than 200 college coaches on who they feared most among assistant coaches when it comes to recruiting. Townsend was No. 1 in Goodman’s Top 20. KU first-year assistant coach Jerrance Howard was ranked 12th on the list. Kansas and Duke were the only schools to have multiple assistants listed.

“The list for Townsend — who also spent time at Michigan and USC — is pretty darn impressive: Andrew Wiggins, Sherron Collins, Darrell Arthur, Julian Wright, Brandon Rush, Jeff Withey at KU and Jamal Crawford and Lavell Blanchard at Michigan,” Goodman wrote. “He also got some quality talent in his tenure at USC. Townsend gets after it, has strong connections throughout the country and has one of the best brands — and head coaches — to sell.”

yes, that was a decade ago and i’m all for bringing in younger blood to better identify with recruits, but i’m not sure i’d be so quick to kick KT to the curb
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KT was great when shady practice was needed. He's always had a bit of stink to him as far as following the (old) rules is concerned.

I'm not a fan.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bill Self would never get blown out by 30.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

FiRe BiLl SeLf!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Bill Selfs philosophy was “regular season doesn’t matter” and they didn’t win the B12 once in 3 years ( 2024, 25, 26 ) and didn’t make the Final Four in 3 years would that be good?

I DGAF at this point but I’m wondering about the advocates of this system so I can get it on “paper”.

Let me know.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Bill's gonna retire.

Why would he (continue to) damage his legacy by putting out an inferior product while he tries to learn how to operate in the no-rules Wild West?

Not worth it.

Golden Age is over.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bill doesn't like the changes in college. The timing of his health scare wasn't good either. He's made comments about "changing the way he coaches" because of the transfer era. Which I translate as you can't coach kids hard and bench them anymore or they'll just transfer away. A lot is changing.

But bill isn't going anywhere
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We just have a poorly assembled team this year. I don't know why we were preaseason #1, I said that before the season, but I did expect us to be better than this

Our team is built around an unathletic point guard who can't ignite the offense on his own, an unathletic center who can't anchor the defense, and an undersized 4 who can't shoot. All 3 are good players in their own way, but have obvious limitations. It's not a mystery why we struggle at times
Last edited by randylahey on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:51 pm Bill's gonna retire.

Why would he (continue to) damage his legacy by putting out an inferior product while he tries to learn how to operate in the no-rules Wild West?

Not worth it.

Golden Age is over.
DC could be right.
I think possibly the perfect exchange though to where Self already understands players of this caliber are bitches and he knows how to handle them and bc he does at that extreme level he has an advantage plus bc of KU historically and financially.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In the end Self can get the guys he wants.

But they won’t practice when he wants.

JFish and illy are on record saying nbd.

See you in two years.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:51 pm Bill's gonna retire.

Not worth it.

Golden Age is over.
I feel this
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:17 pm In the end Self can get the guys he wants.

But they won’t practice when he wants.

JFish and illy are on record saying nbd.

See you in two years.
I watch him hold his tongue when he says this stuff about NIL.

I'd quit too fuck all of it. it's such bullshit.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Weren't people saying the Golden age was over in the mid/late 2010s? And then 2018 final 4 and then 2020 happened where we were ridiculously good and 2022 national championship
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

There's also a possibility that Dedrick was always gonna be a terrible fit. Add in the fact that the other big offseason get turned out to be a terrible human, and things just fell apart.

Pray Furphy and KJ stay and then reload next year.

I guess.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

A lot of older good coaches all stepped away because of NIL. Guys like Jay Wright and nick Saban, who were ready to retire in the next 5-10 years, said fuck it I'm out