Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by KUTradition »

per CBS Sports (Norlander):

…The win obviously comes with a looming situation for Self and Kansas. That uncertain future has the potential to influence what Self can do or wants to do. Kansas is awaiting punishment from the NCAA (via the IARP), and sources have told CBS Sports that it's likely that the damage will be severe — and coming soon. A ruling on Kansas happening in the near-future is probable.

This of course dates back to the FBI scandal, as the NCAA has pinned five Level I violations on Self and his program. He's guaranteed a suspension, and its length could be anywhere from low double digits in games to sitting out an entire season. He'll fight it all, and the university will certainly try to sue on his behalf, but because this is the IARP, there is no appeal process.

There's a chance Kansas could also be banned from the 2023 postseason. 

Here's the question. Title No. 2 in hand. Self again conquering the sport. Would he choose to step away on top? I'm not suggesting he should. I'm not predicting he will. But if he decided to, who could blame him? We already know, via Self and Kansas' own prior statements, how little they care for how the NCAA is handling this case. It's as antagonistic of a situation between a school and the NCAA as we've seen in a long time — maybe ever. But the man has five Level I allegations against him and his program. Something catastrophic could be awaiting Kansas later this spring.

No one knows when Self's next game will be, but it's safe to say he won't be coaching college basketball in November, not when a suspension is all but guaranteed at this point. At 59, he's got plenty of coaching years left in him. How will he choose to spend them?…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

So good to see Self finally get his 2nd. So many years where it could have been (2011, 2016, etc.). Also, so good to beat Villanova and UNC in the path. That doesn't happen too often.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I kind of waited on this, but I heard from a little birdie Self is in the process of selling or has sold his pretty big house by Free State HS and is doing a lease on Danny Manning's old house that is on Alvamar CC I believe. Could be a downsize, could be doing that while waiting on a new build, could be a thing to watch. Who knows.

Still going to enjoy the shit out of this one.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Weirder things have happened, sure, but I'm skeptical that Self would sign a lifetime contract, immediately win a second title, then call it quits. That'd be very strange.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

100%. That huge house is probably too big and too empty for their liking. Doing something smaller like that probably fits him and Cindy a bit more.

Just something that I heard from a friend of a friend.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

His kids are out of the home and he is getting older, so probably just looking to downsize.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think hed let his Kansas career end with us in trouble. Hed want to at least get us through it.

I also don't think at this point theyll suspend him for a full season.

If it's something ridiculous, like mentioned, could be a lawsuit.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

You know that win last night pissed Emmert/NCAA/IARP off and I don't think it's out of bounds to think they may punish KU and more specifically, Bill Self, more harshly because of it.
Last edited by InfiniteJ on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:53 pm I don't think hed let his Kansas career end with us in trouble. Hed want to at least get us through it.

I also don't think at this point theyll suspend him for a full season.

If it's something ridiculous, like mentioned, could be a lawsuit.
I think what's tough is that there's really no meaning to any Self punishment less than a full season/postseason. Sideline him until January? Eh. "Two minutes, well worth it."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Didn’t Boheim get like 9 conference games and they lost 12 schollies over 4 years?

I’d take that plus a post season ban for Self for next season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:50 pm Didn’t Boheim get like 9 conference games and they lost 12 schollies over 4 years?

I read between the lines that things like scholarship penalties or even team postseason bans are off the table.

Obviously the big chip on the table is the 2018 results.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:54 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:50 pm Didn’t Boheim get like 9 conference games and they lost 12 schollies over 4 years?

I read between the lines that things like scholarship penalties or even team postseason bans are off the table.

Obviously the big chip on the table is the 2018 results.
you've probably written this numerous times already, but what is your prediction on how this ends, jfish? i just can't see how the ncaa has anything, let alone anything by which it can enforce more than a gentle slap on the wrist.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

But, correct me if I wrong here, the 2 players in this shit storm never suited up for a Jayhawk game…correct?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Zion. Preston. And De Sousa I think.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What is even worse is the NCAA sweeping their culpability and other shoe makers under the rug. I would sue.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:52 pm Zion. Preston. And De Sousa I think.
Ah, I forgot about DeSouza
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The thing about DeSousa was, as soon as we found out he was in violation, we waited until the NCAA said he wasn't. Then played him.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:06 pm The thing about DeSousa was, as soon as we found out he was in violation, we waited until the NCAA said he wasn't. Then played him.
This. It just feels like KU navigated this as best they could.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:40 pm 100%. That huge house is probably too big and too empty for their liking. Doing something smaller like that probably fits him and Cindy a bit more.

Just something that I heard from a friend of a friend.
Cindy?

Didn't they get divorced after the 2008 championship?

I coulda sworn I heard she threw him out and he was livin' wif his girlfriend.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Laura Bauer wishes she was Self's girlfriend.