Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by ousdahl »

It’s a downer pity thought, but in the last six seasons we’ve been past the first weekend ONCE.

Half of those seasons we got blown the F out.

Granted, one of of those seasons was shut down cuz of a pandemic.

And the other was a natty…
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:28 am Self can coach and game plan all he wants, but at the end of the day hunter is just too slow to rotate and defend. That's what Gonzaga did to beat us
Unfortunately, I think you're right. We can be 1 seed good with HD, but winning 6 straight when it matters most? I don't see it.

Time to move on. We might be several years away from a real contender so we might as well start making that build.
Maybe. Or just be willing to take him out of the game when teams play us that way. But gonna put enough scoring on the floor to be able to take him out. There could be a solution already on the roster
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I think It’s either move on with Hunter, or just find a quality sub for when he’s a liability.

But I feel that way about pretty much all our returning starters.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:47 am Yeah, I think It’s either move on with Hunter, or just find a quality sub for when he’s a liability.

Quality subs don't want to come sit behind a guy who plays 33mpg.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

unless every team is going to go "1 deep" at every position. someone will have to come off the bench.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DH and Kj deserve the loyalty to stay and play. They're national champs and have been nothing short of exceptional Jayhawks since at KU, regardless of flaws on the court. I think they're terrible paired together due to lack of shooting from 2 starters, but it is what it is.

HD does not deserve that same loyalty. It didn't work. A
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Clemence could surprise people next year. I'm curious how much he's improved. He's very skilled, more mobile than hunter. Maybe he would fit better with KJ than hunter does
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:55 am Clemence could surprise people next year. I'm curious how much he's improved. He's very skilled, more mobile than hunter. Maybe he would fit better with KJ than hunter does
We'll see, I guess. I have not seen him do much here that suggests he's much more than Diet Hunter (which of course could be a useful guy).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:09 am I read some of the comments on here. Yes, it was a disappointing season in regards to Self and the team but it's CRAZY (to me) that a "down" season is being a 4 seed. That just reeks of past success.
I'm confident EVERY coach who has coached the last 20 seasons has had a "down" season worse than our's.

I will say that Self admitting he basically gave up a month ago is unacceptable to me, for a guy getting paid 10 million plus. That's not cool to his players, the fans, and the institution that pays him.
At least he took some accountability and said, "We could have done a much better job as a staff".
Sure he didn't have as much "firepower" (his word) as he had in the past but give any coach Jackson, Adams, Timberlake, Furphy, Harris, and Dickinson, and if they had confidence they would think they would have a better than decent chance to coach that core to a championship.

Oh well, on to the next. I'm just wondering how many more Bill Self next seasons we will have. I'm guessing we could have anywhere between none and 11.
He 100% did not say that he gave up a month ago. That's you (and Illy who made the same mistake) simply taking one snippet and misunderstanding it. It was a poorly phrased question that led to it sounding like he had moved on. He unquestionably had not.

EVERY coach in the sport has started thinking about next season. You cannot wait for one season to end until you start thinking about the next one. There is a thing called the transfer portal and it opened prior to this season ending so if you want to get ready for next year, you have to start looking at who is in the portal, thinking about who on your roster is staying or going and start contacting guys to lay the groundwork.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:47 am Yeah, I think It’s either move on with Hunter, or just find a quality sub for when he’s a liability.

Quality subs don't want to come sit behind a guy who plays 33mpg.
Yea.

So then perhaps it becomes, don’t play Hunter 33mpg
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

why do you think hd played so many minutes this season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cuz Haunkier Taunkier was barely playable, and cuz we lacked the 1-4 depth to put KJ there
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Well supposedly the top center in next years class will be backing up hunter next season. Rest assured. Who is the complete opposite of hunter.
And clemence is another interesting front court option, 6'10 shooter, which is exactly what Gonzaga used to space the floor and tear us apart
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:49 pm Cuz Haunkier Taunkier was barely playable, and cuz we lacked the 1-4 depth to put KJ there
Self does not want Kj at the 5.

A non rebounding. Non shot blocking. 6'7 wing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:41 am It’s a downer pity thought, but in the last six seasons we’ve been past the first weekend ONCE.

Half of those seasons we got blown the F out.

Granted, one of of those seasons was shut down cuz of a pandemic.

And the other was a natty…
the season before this convenient timeline was also a final four
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Self got his own segment on ESPN First Take this morning for his comments about the roster.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

HCBS did not have a good season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm Self got his own segment on ESPN First Take this morning for his comments about the roster.
I think it's partially unfair. This is why we sometimes refer to GM Bill and Coach Bill; you think Brett Veach wasn't thinking about WR ideas for 2024 in, like, November 2023?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:40 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm Self got his own segment on ESPN First Take this morning for his comments about the roster.
I think it's partially unfair. This is why we sometimes refer to GM Bill and Coach Bill; you think Brett Veach wasn't thinking about WR ideas for 2024 in, like, November 2023?
I'll try to find the segment and post it.

https://youtu.be/izQew6WY-Ms?si=4X6Kk-ippinbYxVV
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

meh

bad optics, nothing more
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?