Site Admin

Re: Active Coaches

Post by pdub »

Just Cascadia doin his thing.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:00 am
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:44 pm I dont care if they're white, black, hispanic or Asian or native....if they can coach...hire em, if not, dont.
Yeah, I don't get the issue with anything you've said about this.
Me either.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

of course jack vaughn would be a wonderful head coach at The University of Kansas.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

The fried chicken with a side of ice cream analogy would work better if he was a dentist or an attorney. But he's a basketball coach in the most elite basketball league in the world.

Some people like potato salad with fried chicken, others baked beans, other maybe fries, or yes even mashed potatoes.

I'm glad we don't need to worry about "choosing" our side anytime soon. We've got the best fried chicken side right now, so I will enjoy it until it runs out.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm guessing if we suddenly found ourselves with a head coaching vacancy, jack vaughn would most certainly be on our very short list.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yo ho ho, hiiiiigh low.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Automatically thinking NBA coaching experience is more valuable than college coaching experience and/or thinking NBA experience automatically makes someone a good CBB candidate is very BWW Chad take.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

automatically dismissing an extremely qualified candidate because you don't like em is a very BWW chad take.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lol

"Jacque Vaughn is not the 2nd best candidate to Jay Wright for KU's HC job."

"Wow, you hate Jacque Vaughn."

Only the mich/illy father/son duo.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I am trying to think of anyone that has been a head coach in the NBA who did not have success at the college level. Can't come up with anyone off top of head.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:04 am I am trying to think of anyone that has been a head coach in the NBA who did not have success at the college level. Can't come up with anyone off top of head.
There can't be many in the first place--it's a lot different than football.

One of the more recent success stories would be Jeff Bzdelik, but his successor, Tad Boyle, had the better run.

We will see on Mike Woodson.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Avery Johnson: fail
Isiah Thomas: lol
Cal: Awesome, obviously
Kruger: great
Mike Montgomery: shoulda never left
Pitino: great*
Tim Floyd: see Mike Montgomery
Hoiberg: see Mike Montgomery

I think this shows, which would be my argument against Vaughn, is that it seems to tremendously help having previous college success prior to the NBA stint.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Thanks for the list
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

More than I originally thought because my brain didn't process the guys that left for a short NBA stint and came back. Was trying to think of pure NBA guys that later went to college. So, add LB to the list.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Musselman too
Deleted User 863

Did Phil Jackson coach in college?

Popovich was an assistant at Kansas for 1 year (didn’t know that!), but wasn't a college head coach anywhere that I am finding.

Doc Rivers coach in college?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:35 amPopovich was an assistant at Kansas for 1 year (didn’t know that!)
This is like a $400 question in Kansas Jeopardy.

With maybe the exception of Phog Allen, I would put Larry Brown's coaching tree up against anyone in the history of the sport.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:00 am Automatically thinking NBA coaching experience is more valuable than college coaching experience and/or thinking NBA experience automatically makes someone a good CBB candidate is very BWW Chad take.
You don't think Jacque Vaughn would be considered if he applied for the KU job if the head coaching spot opened up in the near future?

What about if he came and worked under Self for a few years similar to what Case and Morningstar are doing?

Just because I personally would choose him 2nd behind Jay Wright doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to have someone else you would want to be considered.

It wasn't nearly as bad of a take as you're pretending.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

is it just me or does college coaching seem like a lot more work?

It's much more a year-round gig, you've gotta deal with the whole recruiting thing, the whole amateurism thing, and also have to babysit a bunch of 18-22yos about shit like going to class.

NBA there's more games and travel, but you get an actual offseason, fewer player obligations besides hoops to worry about, the players are actually ALLOWED to take the shoe guy's money, and generally you're dealing with pros.

and trying to decide if there's some point about dealing with franchise brass vs dealing with school administrators and boosters.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:39 amWhat about if he came and worked under Self for a few years similar to what Case and Morningstar are doing?
That would go a long way to getting him on the list. Case's spot, anyway, not Brady's, but no reason to get into all of that.

I definitely would have had both Vaughn and Miles ahead of Case for Assistant #3 if Bill asked me (he didn't). If there's another spot in the near future, and it has to be an alum, Collison, Miles, Vaughn would be my list and in that order.