Active Coaches

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Active Coaches

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:43 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:39 amWhat about if he came and worked under Self for a few years similar to what Case and Morningstar are doing?
That would go a long way to getting him on the list. Case's spot, anyway, not Brady's, but no reason to get into all of that.

I definitely would have had both Vaughn and Miles ahead of Case for Assistant #3 if Bill asked me (he didn't). If there's another spot in the near future, and it has to be an alum, Collison, Miles, Vaughn would be my list and in that order.
Fair.

Enjoyed the discussion even though it'll be a sad day when replacing Self becomes a reality that we have to deal with. Hopefully we are a LONG time away from that day.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:39 am is it just me or does college coaching seem like a lot more work?

It's much more a year-round gig, you've gotta deal with the whole recruiting thing, the whole amateurism thing, and also have to babysit a bunch of 18-22yos about shit like going to class.

NBA there's more games and travel, but you get an actual offseason, fewer player obligations besides hoops to worry about, the players are actually ALLOWED to take the shoe guy's money, and generally you're dealing with pros.

and trying to decide if there's some point about dealing with franchise brass vs dealing with school administrators and boosters.
I just think it's different. And depending on if you consider the volatility of the NBA being more "work." NBA teams will cut you in a split second and give your job to some analytics guy with little experience or a former player with no experience.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:39 am is it just me or does college coaching seem like a lot more work?

It's much more a year-round gig, you've gotta deal with the whole recruiting thing, the whole amateurism thing, and also have to babysit a bunch of 18-22yos about shit like going to class.

NBA there's more games and travel, but you get an actual offseason, fewer player obligations besides hoops to worry about, the players are actually ALLOWED to take the shoe guy's money, and generally you're dealing with pros.

and trying to decide if there's some point about dealing with franchise brass vs dealing with school administrators and boosters.
I just think it's different. And depending on if you consider the volatility of the NBA being more "work." NBA teams will cut you in a split second and give your job to some analytics guy with little experience or a former player with no experience.
That volatility is exactly why I think guys like K Self Roy etc have never seemed interested in the NBA. When you're at a place like KU it just can't get much better....and once you leave a dream scenario like KU it is unlikely you ever get it back.

Self loves KU. And KU loves Self. ❤️
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If you're an NBA owner, you want the best players, not the best coach. It's just a different beast.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:51 am If you're an NBA owner, you want the best players, not the best coach. It's just a different beast.
Look no further than Frank Vogel. He just got fucked (imo) because the Lakers made a series of bad moves.

Do I think Frank Vogel is a great coach? Probably not. But it sure looks like he got fired because the Lakers are stuck with Westbrook and Vogel tried to do what was best for the team by sitting him when he played like shit.

Sorry Russ. Love ya as a person/player, but you sucked this year with the Lakers. At a certain point you've got to do more than play really hard.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that reminds me, I meant to ask:

how many coaches does that make for Lebron now?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:54 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:51 am If you're an NBA owner, you want the best players, not the best coach. It's just a different beast.
Look no further than Frank Vogel. He just got fucked (imo) because the Lakers made a series of bad moves.

Do I think Frank Vogel is a great coach? Probably not. But it sure looks like he got fired because the Lakers are stuck with Westbrook and Vogel tried to do what was best for the team by sitting him when he played like shit.

Sorry Russ. Love ya as a person/player, but you sucked this year with the Lakers. At a certain point you've got to do more than play really hard.
It's like a twist on the old Tark line...LeBron got so pissed at his GM that he had the head coach fired.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

from my limited view, it seems that nba coaches have to manage personalities more so than college coaches

most college coaches have to actually coach
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:07 am from my limited view, it seems that nba coaches have to manage personalities more so than college coaches

most college coaches have to actually coach
Maybe, but the stakes are higher in college when you're talking about managing a player on an individual level. Toss a college player off your team, and he may never recover. That's stress.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:04 am that reminds me, I meant to ask:

how many coaches does that make for Lebron now?
Paul Silas
Brendan Malone
Mike Brown
Erik Spoelstra
David Blatt
Tyronn Lue
Larry Drew
Luke Walton
Frank Vogel
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:07 am ...LeBron got so pissed at his GM that he had the head coach fired.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:12 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:07 am ...LeBron got so pissed at his GM that he had the head coach fired.
Yep, this guy gets it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:12 amTyronn Lue
Here today, this might be the only pure NBA guy that I would consider listening to as a realistic candidate for the KU seat.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:15 am
Here today, this might be the only pure NBA guy that I would consider listening to as a realistic candidate for the KU seat.
Would depend so much on his recruiting ability and commitment. That's one of the hardest parts of the college gig. To some degree that is mitigated by being at KU, but it's still a massive grind.

And then, this.

“In response to Daryl Morey, should he really be tweeting anything? Last time he tweeted, he cost the NBA a billion dollars so I don’t think he should be doing too much tweeting. ”

ugh......
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:15 am
Would depend so much on his recruiting ability and commitment. That's one of the hardest parts of the college gig. To some degree that is mitigated by being at KU, but it's still a massive grind.
Agree, and that is true for any NBA guy.

I just think with KC and now Sunrise Academy putting out top 10 players every year, Lue's local connections and cachet here would fit well. And then add the ring with LeBron for the national connection.

Of course, I'd rather have a proven college coach that has both won and recruited/developed NBA talent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:48 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 am

That volatility is exactly why I think guys like K Self Roy etc have never seemed interested in the NBA. When you're at a place like KU it just can't get much better....and once you leave a dream scenario like KU it is unlikely you ever get it back.

Self loves KU. And KU loves Self. ❤️
That and the fact that Self makes $10 million a year to coach a max of 40 games a year, coach practices that are limited in number and recruit. He isn't making that much money in the NBA and would have to coach and travel to twice as many games.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

HCBS is currently making 10 million a year? is that right?

i have been wondering what his current salary is.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:31 am HCBS is currently making 10 million a year? is that right?

I've been wondering what his current weight is. :o
OK, not really. I'm cutting him some slack. Losing your father is (or at least can be) tough.

Here is the thing I haven't seen addressed. IF Self is suspended - and no assistants are, who becomes the head coach?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:37 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:31 am HCBS is currently making 10 million a year? is that right?

I've been wondering what his current weight is. :o
OK, not really. I'm cutting him some slack. Losing your father is (or at least can be) tough.

Here is the thing I haven't seen addressed. IF Self is suspended - and no assistants are, who becomes the head coach?
Norm.