Pinch me?

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Pinch me?

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This still doesn't feel completely real.

I understand the parade happened, Self started meetings with all players this week for future plans.

But when will it feel real? When the banner goes up?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Re: Pinch me?

Post by twocoach »

Right there with you. "I still can't believe Kansas won the title" gets uttered every single day by me. So fun.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Strange season.

And, maybe it's age, but even 3 weekends of the tournament just seem to fly by.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We win a title in a season where we never reached #1 in the polls prior to the tourney. We never felt like the best team. We really never played like it. And then the 2nd half of the Miami game happened and we suddenly looked like the best team still standing.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:42 am Strange season.

And, maybe it's age, but even 3 weekends of the tournament just seem to fly by.
It gets faster. And less ‘meaningful’. Sorry. Still fun though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:45 am We win a title in a season where we never reached #1 in the polls prior to the tourney. We never felt like the best team. We really never played like it. And then the 2nd half of the Miami game happened and we suddenly looked like the best team still standing.
Did KJ Adams save the season? Man, he made McGuffie look really bad in that sequence and it was like Miami was gutted they couldn't score and the rest is history.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Exceedingly fast years now. We speed in free fall towards the infinite gravity well. But at least it was an okay season for Illy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:45 am We win a title in a season where we never reached #1 in the polls prior to the tourney. We never felt like the best team. We really never played like it. And then the 2nd half of the Miami game happened and we suddenly looked like the best team still standing.
I don’t recall that 08 was ever ranked #1 until the end. I could be wrong. Was for a short time if so, though.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KU was clearly the best team when healthy early on IMHO. But it seemed like the Dayton game exposed some offensive/defensive weaknesses in the second half. A lot of it confidence. But we really needed a healthy Remy to be the best. We saw that after the regular season again.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:54 am
I don’t recall that 08 was ever ranked #1 until the end. I could be wrong. Was for a short time if so, though.
Not according to the wikipedia. Preseason top 4 also the top 4 seeds in tourney, and of course, that final four. Which is kind of impressive all the same.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sparko wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:59 am KU was clearly the best team when healthy early on IMHO. But it seemed like the Dayton game exposed some offensive/defensive weaknesses in the second half. A lot of it confidence. But we really needed a healthy Remy to be the best. We saw that after the regular season again.
Not to start this argument (again), but no one was really sure how Remy was going to fit in with this team when healthy. As it turned out, we got a storybook ending. His last 10 minutes are overlooked, for the most part, but without his shooting (and defense) I dunno. But, the same can be said for all the other's players roles this year too in this final four. Just worked.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:01 am
Sparko wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:59 am KU was clearly the best team when healthy early on IMHO. But it seemed like the Dayton game exposed some offensive/defensive weaknesses in the second half. A lot of it confidence. But we really needed a healthy Remy to be the best. We saw that after the regular season again.
Not to start this argument (again), but no one was really sure how Remy was going to fit in with this team when healthy. As it turned out, we got a storybook ending. His last 10 minutes are overlooked, for the most part, but without his shooting (and defense) I dunno. But, the same can be said for all the other's players roles this year too in this final four. Just worked.
#TEAM

Any 1 piece is different and we maybe don't pull this off.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We got up to #2 for 2 weeks in 2008 and then lost @ Kansas State. But we were Top 6 or better in every poll that year and spent the majority of that year inside the Top 4. We spent the majority of this season ranked from 6-10.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I would buy an argument that this team really was the best team in the country at the end, easy road or not. This was a down year for college basketball.

This year's team won the Big 12, the nation's toughest league, without Remy. Remy comes back and is the our top scorer in the tournament--one of the top scorers in the entire tournament. Meanwhile, the defense also improved to Top 15ish in the country. That team, the whole team at the end, was good.

Without Remy's absence getting the reps on both sides of the ball, I don't think something like 37-3 is out of the question, which is what the '08 team did (albeit in a better CBB season).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:06 am
We got up to #2 for 2 weeks in 2008 and then lost @ Kansas State. But we were Top 6 or better in every poll that year and spent the majority of that year inside the Top 4. We spent the majority of this season ranked from 6-10.

Sure, and '08 team was underrated.

But we now have 3 straight NCAA Championships where we were never ranked #1 until the end.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Negative nancy here but this team never looked dominant and got a 9 seed down maybe their best player, a 4 seed with a luck rating of 1 who was worse than the 5, a 10 seed who had just lost to that 9 seed by 20 odd points, a 2 seed down maybe their best player and a very hot team but still an 8 seed with maybe their best player dinged up.

Don't change the fact we won and it's awesome but I can't buy in that this team was clearly one of the top 4 teams or clearly the very best team in the nation as much as I could with teams prior. I think it just shows how crazy March Madness can be. Love it.

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

We've been on the wrong end of that equation enough times that I simply don't care if we were "the best". We ARE the "national champions" though.

If that tournament was ran 10 times I think it's very possible there would be 8 to 10 different national champions. A very weird year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Teams we beat:

KenPom 4
KenPom 7
KenPom 10
KenPom 15
KenPom 16
KenPom 26
KenPom 30
KenPom 32
KenPom 34
KenPom 41
KenPom 42
KenPom 43

That stacks up with anyone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sorry, perhaps college basketball was down, but, and I'm not a fan of this, i'm basing it more of eye test than I am analytics ( though our analytics show this is our 7th best Self team ).

Obviously a great team - won the tournament.
But had a number of things go our way.
A loss v Creighton wouldn't have surprised anyone.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

a lot of evidence for why natty’s are overrated by most
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?