Pinch me?

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Pinch me?

Post by pdub »

Titles don't always determine the best team that season ( I believe this was one of those seasons ).
Thus they don't, over time, always determine the best programs or coaches.
It's awesome to win one. Things certainly went our way after years of, when we had even better teams, not going our way.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:55 pm Titles don't always determine the best team that season ( I believe this was one of those seasons ).
assuming you are correct:

1. you say our winning of the title does not make us the best team. if not us, who is?

2. who could/should have won the title this season where you would have been confident saying the best team won?
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You're not going to like this and it will cause a bored meltdown but I think Gonzaga beats us in a 7 game series.
I think Nova with a healthy squad could have.
I think Arizona as well.
And this is really gonna get people angry, but I think Kentucky in a 7 game series would have also bested us this season.

I said all along that we were gonna be a top 5 team that could win it and we were.
We just weren't clearly the best team and I think there were better.

Don't matter now, we won.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Someone illy meter or gutter meter this man!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:05 pm You're not going to like this and it will cause a bored meltdown but I think Gonzaga beats us in a 7 game series.
I think Arizona as well.
And this is really gonna get people angry, but I think Kentucky in a 7 game series would have also bested us this season.

I said all along that we were gonna be a top 5 team that could win it and we were.

lotta truth here
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:08 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:05 pm You're not going to like this and it will cause a bored meltdown but I think Gonzaga beats us in a 7 game series.
I think Arizona as well.

lotta truth here
Pure conjecture is truth now? Take it to the pols board!
Deleted User 863

But in all seriousness gonzaga UK Zona Purdue Duke and maybe 1 or 2 others were all capable of winning the national title this year. Along with KU.

Who was the best? Who knows. Totally subjective. Would also depend on at what point in time we are discussing.

In college basketball we rarely get to determine definitively who the "best" team is.

What we do get to determine definitively is a national champion and this year the crown goes to KU.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We had a chance to loose to UNC.
Had they won, would they have been the best team in CBB this season?
Nope.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think Purdue could have won.
I'm not sure a team with a defense as poor as theirs has ever won.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:12 pmWould also depend on at what point in time we are discussing.
Unless you are discussing Anti-American football leagues, the best teams are measured at the end of seasons, championship time.

So I can completely understand why some think Kentucky can lay claim to the best team this year.
Deleted User 863

Then KU was best. UNC was 2nd best. Duke and Nova tied for 3rd best.

No reason to keep going in circles.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:16 pm I don't think Purdue could have won.
I think Fish picked Purdue to win it all. lol
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:10 pm
I think Arizona as well.

lotta truth here
point taken…and “truth” was probably too strong a word given that there are more definitive “would” statements than “could” statements

i think it’s absolutely true that the teams mentioned would have been favored in a series matchup
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:16 pm I don't think Purdue could have won.
maybe the worst use of a veritable giant in the paint that i’ve seen
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:39 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:10 pm

lotta truth here
point taken…and “truth” was probably too strong a word given that there are more definitive “would” statements than “could” statements

i think it’s absolutely true that the teams mentioned would have been favored in a series matchup
The draw was certainly favorable, no question.

Again, though, with the addition of Remy and the defense becoming great, the KenPom/metrics would have put us within a one possession game of any team in the country in March.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

National Titles are overrated. What matters are the pre-season dubs we remember for purely personal reasons and the friends we made along the way.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:14 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:11 am a lot of evidence for why natty’s are overrated by most
To me it just proves how elusive and valuable they are. The entire KU fan base has been deliriously happy for over a week now. If titles were overrated then that would not be the case.
only overrated in the sense that they are used to judge the success of a team or coach…which i’ve already said

they’re an important metric, but not the end all be all

do you think Calhoun was/is a better coach than Self? he’s got 3 to Self’s 2
If they are the only measure of success then they are overrated. If they are a portion of the measure of success then they are rated accurately. If they are minimized as nothing more than a function of lucky breaks then they are underrated. I've seen all three of those levels recently.

Do I think Calhoun was better than Self? No, he just coached for much longer. He had 16 full seasons outside his core job at UConn (to Self's 10 full seasons away from Kansas) and then Calhoun had 26 full seasons at UConn to Self's 19 seasons at Kansas. I feel pretty confident in saying that Self will meet or surpass Calhoun in every relevant category if he coaches 13 more seasons.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I think Arizona as well.

On pure talent, I agree. But when factoring in Bill Self's ability to adjust and game plan after he sees a team then I don't agree. There's a reason that so few teams ever sweep a season series with Bill Self.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4213

We all value things differently.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:55 pm viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4213

We all value things differently.
100% agreed.