Wordle: starting words *spoilers*

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Re: Wordle: starting words *spoilers*

Post by DrPepper »

Using a Scrabble wordfinder page, common 5-letter words that would be available after my 3 guesses that include A and Y are:
abaya, daffy, jazzy, paddy, zappy, daddy, faddy, kayak, quaky
I think DADDY would be the toughest of all, because of the triple letter. D is pretty common, but triple letter for something I typically think of as a proper noun...
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

TDub wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 pm I think it should be fun and not strictly formulaic means to an end. To each their own.
Absolutely! I push numbers all day and couldn't write a piece of fiction to save my life. Thinking about and testing my strategy is my dopamine rush.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:13 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 pm I think it should be fun and not strictly formulaic means to an end. To each their own.
Absolutely! I push numbers all day and couldn't write a piece of fiction to save my life. Thinking about and testing my strategy is my dopamine rush.
Your system is pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm Using a Scrabble wordfinder page, common 5-letter words that would be available after my 3 guesses that include A and Y are:
abaya, daffy, jazzy, paddy, zappy, daddy, faddy, kayak, quaky
I think DADDY would be the toughest of all, because of the triple letter. D is pretty common, but triple letter for something I typically think of as a proper noun...
But, once you have even just D_DD_, it's over.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Today was an interesting test as my starting 3 words only yielded 3 letters (all vowels and none in the correct place).
For my fourth guess I used a word to test 3 more, unused consenents. This fourth guess also happened to try some of the known vowels in new locations, but that was just luck. BOXED. That was a fortunate word that yield X and D.
So after 4 guesses, I knew all 5 letters and many spots where letters could not go. Quick solve. Years in a lab probably helped too.
Deleted User 863

DrPepper wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:37 am Today was an interesting test as my starting 3 words only yielded 3 letters (all vowels and none in the correct place).
For my fourth guess I used a word to test 3 more, unused consenents. This fourth guess also happened to try some of the known vowels in new locations, but that was just luck. BOXED. That was a fortunate word that yield X and D.
So after 4 guesses, I knew all 5 letters and many spots where letters could not go. Quick solve. Years in a lab probably helped too.
I only got it today because of some of your methods after with my own "method" of random guesses LOL

Thanks!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.
Deleted User 863

DrPepper wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:02 am There are more ways than one to skin a cat.
I was definitely choosing the wrong way today 🤣
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My starting word, GLORY, has an L in the second space. This is helpful for beginning consonant combinations like FL, BL, PL, CL, GL. Today’s Wordle had this. L was in the correct position in my first guess.
Deleted User 863

DrPepper wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:52 am My starting word, GLORY, has an L in the second space. This is helpful for beginning consonant combinations like FL, BL, PL, CL, GL. Today’s Wordle had this. L was in the correct position in my first guess.
I started with Yeast today.
Deleted User 863

Helped that my daughter told me today was earth day on the way to drop her off at school today!

Personal pan pizza night for her also, so she's on a roll today for an 8yr old. All her reading is paying off. Glad she got her smarts from someone else (thanks milk man).
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:13 am
DrPepper wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:52 am My starting word, GLORY, has an L in the second space. This is helpful for beginning consonant combinations like FL, BL, PL, CL, GL. Today’s Wordle had this. L was in the correct position in my first guess.
I started with Yeast today.
E,A,S,T are valuable letters to test and I believe that Y is underrated. Y is more common in the last position and S is most common in the first position, but YEAST is a very solid first word IMO.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

This story claims that the average American Wordle guess is 3.92 tries

https://abc17news.com/news/2022/03/09/a ... nd-others/
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

STORY is an excellent starting word
S in the starting position
T is a very common letter and putting it next to the S is extra good
R is a very common letter
Y is undervalued and having it in the last position is right were you would want it

Well done, 99!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks. It was the 1st 5 letter word I thought of when I first started playing. Just stuck with it.
Defense. Rebounds.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:48 am Kind of a strange word today but everyone seems to be getting it.
Common letters today. All 5 were known from my 3 starter words. I don't even remember what the word was.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:31 am Huh.
DrPepper has an interesting strategy.
2 letters in the right place and then guesses something without those letters in the right place next?
My approach is to gather and eliminate letters. So I had 4 correct letters before I took a guess. Those first 3 words used 15 unique letters. That is more than half the alphabet. Considering j,q,x,z are super rare and that double letters are pretty easy to spot in a 5-letter word, having gone thru 15 letters in three guesses gives you pretty good odds (but not perfect) of solving Wordle (~70% of letters have been tried). Double letters (like two o's or two t's) in a word are upper-level math I do not care to explore.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

GLORY
STEAM
WINCH

So after my standard 3 word start, I only know one letter. But, I know its position and because it is a consonant, it is likely a consonant blend. Being L in the 2nd position, possible blends include:
BL, CL, FL, GL, and SL. But because of letters I've already eliminated with my starting 3 words, I'm left with BL, FL, or PL.

The third position is going to be vowel. The only vowel I haven't tested is U. Therefore, by process of elimination, the 3rd position is U.

We have:
BLU_ _
FLU_ _
PLU_ _

The remaining two letters are going to be another consonant blend because "UU" is not a thing. My remaining letters to choose from are: F, Q, P, D, J, K, Z, X, and V, plus the L we are already using.
I quickly went through those ending double consonants in my head and FF was the only thing that I thought were actual words. I was left with:
BLUFF and
FLUFF
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Pretty close to my thought process.
Starting word was STORY. Nada. For the second day in a row.
Next was ADIEU. U hit but out of place. I figured it had to go in the middle.
CHUMP, got the U but nothing else. It's my 3rd attempt and I got 1 letter but all other vowels used and a bunch of consonants.
Next was FLUNG. OK that's better. FLU??
Guessed the last two were FF as I couldn't think of anything else.
Defense. Rebounds.