Jay Wright Stepping Down

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Jay Wright Stepping Down

Post by pdub »

It's becoming that -- for me -- you don't have to agree here, that is totally fine.
And I realize that some will say the old fallback, "get off my lawn comment," - whatever.

But the pub analogy is this.
It'd be a slow play.
You get a new owner of the pub who says things need to change to run the business but that it'll still be the same pub. Your pub was doing just fine financially before but he just wants to maximize earnings.

And then he puts in a juke box that's digital and 2 dollars a play.
"That'll be it," he says.
And there's several regulars there who love it. "Finally, we can play The Killers and Kings of Leon in here!"

But it's a sign that this pub isn't going to stay the same or get better for you.

I don't think it's a coincidence Beilein, Turg, K, Roi and Jay are leaving all within a couple years.
But that's just me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:32 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:20 am Yes, he can. And should that be what he does, it will tell you all you need to know about what his motivations are, and what they are not.
not sure why you keep blubber yapping and lecturing like you know what his motivations are. or are not.

you are more full of $#!t than usual today. like you know.
That's the whole fucking point, follow along please.

I do not know his motivations. Nor do you, and nor does anyone reading this.

I can tell you with certainty, though, that his actions are what will evidence his motivations, not his words. Or anyone else's.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:26 am "But what it's not, is a genuine moral stand. A protest resignation."

No. It's not that. And the writers aren't arguing it is.
But once again, the pub analogy.
If you're the best bartender at the pub, and have never had to pay your staff (over which you have total dominion, and which historically have had very limited mobility, and a big reason why a lot of people come back because you're such a good bartender, but then the pub becomes a stock market whiskey bar with 19 dollar cocktails and a new menu with deviled eggs, and also structural changes make it a lot harder to get and retain staff, which now have a lot more options and mobility, and also you have enough money that neither you nor your grandkids ever need to work, maybe you stay there for a bit, but then maybe you realize, especially given that you can still make $1mm/year consulting for the pub, it's just not for you.

You're not quitting as some sort of moral stance. It's just not your scene. Off to something new.
Fixed your analogy. It's closer to working now.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Many coaches will say their least favorite part of the job, is the recruiting and everything that goes into it.

The new transfer rules make it so that you have to re-recruit every player every year, and if you loose any, you have to now try to recruit transfers. It's a lot more recruiting.

If the least favorite part of anyone's job suddenly increased significantly, it might make you consider leaving, or retiring sooner than you otherwise would have.

This isn't about Wright, just a general statement.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:38 am It's becoming that -- for me -- you don't have to agree here, that is totally fine.
And I realize that some will say the old fallback, "get off my lawn comment," - whatever.

But the pub analogy is this.
It'd be a slow play.
You get a new owner of the pub who says things need to change to run the business but that it'll still be the same pub. Your pub was doing just fine financially before but he just wants to maximize earnings.

And then he puts in a juke box that's digital and 2 dollars a play.
"That'll be it," he says.
And there's several regulars there who love it. "Finally, we can play The Killers and Kings of Leon in here!"

But it's a sign that this pub isn't going to stay the same or get better for you.

I don't think it's a coincidence Beilein, Turg, K, Roi and Jay are leaving all within a couple years.
But that's just me.
What the hell are you talking about.

Beilein chased NBA money.

Turgeon got Peter Principled out of high-major ball.

K and Roi are, for college basketball, so old they fart dust.

None of these examples support your point.

And I strongly suspect that Wright's choice doesn't either, not in reality.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am Many coaches will say their least favorite part of the job, is the recruiting and everything that goes into it.

The new transfer rules make it so that you have to re-recruit every player every year, and if you loose any, you have to now try to recruit transfers. It's a lot more recruiting.

If the least favorite part of anyone's job suddenly increased significantly, it might make you consider leaving, or retiring sooner than you otherwise would have.

Yep. Particularly if you'd squeezed the orange for enough juice to last you and your family for a couple generations. Makes perfect sense.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you are off the deep end today.

one of the great coaches and great people of the game retired yesterday. and you have turned it into a soapbox speech about morality and everything that is wrong with the sport.

can't wait to hear how you lambast HCBS when he decides to hang it up.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:53 am you are off the deep end today.

one of the great coaches and great people of the game retired yesterday. and you have turned it into a soapbox speech about morality and everything that is wrong with the sport.

can't wait to hear how you lambast HCBS when he decides to hang it up.
I'm not lambasting Wright. I'm praising him! Reading is your friend.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol @ mich…fish didn’t do that, some of the media did and fish just pointed it out

did you eat your oatmeal this morning, mich?
Last edited by KUTradition on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:53 amone of the great coaches and great people of the game retired yesterday. and you have turned it into a soapbox speech about morality and everything that is wrong with the sport.
Uh, who is this directed at?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am Many coaches will say their least favorite part of the job, is the recruiting and everything that goes into it.

And that extends to every manager everywhere in the US right now, not just college basketball. I welcome this change.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:57 am

And that extends to every manager everywhere in the US right now, not just college basketball. I welcome this change.
Yep. I'd rather not repeat the whole F the NCAA thread all over again, but relenting the enormous imbalance of power is why it took so long for change.

Parallels everywhere.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Fixed your analogy. It's closer to working now."

It's not at all.
That's your analogy, not mine.

You're the new owner.
Your staff is paid fine. There are other bars the staff can go to. There's this one guy, Jeff, on your staff who is killer at running your social media and can stand in as a chef. He has only been there six weeks. Then he demanded a 300% raise and wanted to change the look of your website. You had the option, because you had the money, to give him said raise, but realized, you didn't need him for your bar to run well, but he could make your bar a lot more money. And a lot of the time, instead of running the bar, he was talking about how much side money he makes mining bitcoin. The guys who love the new juke and Kings of Leon are into him. The guys who love the dart board, the free pool and the random trivial pursuit cards in napkin holders don't. So it was your choice to decide which direction you'd go and you chose to keep him. And now the longest tenured bartender is tired of him but that doesn't matter - you're gonna find a new guy with a whole set of tricks.

So you're the bartender. And here's JFish just blasting Kings of Leon for the fifth time. And social media Jeff is interviewing a sommelier. And BWW Chad is there telling you to change Jeopardy over to UFC. You've got plenty of money. This pub has been great to you. You're tired of the scene. Time to move on.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Good thread, boys. The only difference between MICH and pdub at this point is that pdub types more words.

I don't know that using Jim Beilein and Turg to support THAT argument will ever be topped. Just galaxy brain moron stuff.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

And in both situations, a guy leaving a coveted job opens things up for younger people to take over.

I want Self to stay here as long as he's a top notch coach, but in general, I don't like that there are so many 80 year olds (looking at you ACC) occupying these highly coveted jobs.

I always think about that with Emeritus professors...you're just forcing more people to stay at a post-doc longer.

AND the young assistant coach might not have a problem with 4X the old amount of recruiting, because that's all he knows. Whereas the older coach was happier when it was a smaller percentage of his workload.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:04 am Good thread, boys. The only difference between MICH and pdub at this point is that pdub types more words.

I don't know that using Jim Beilein and Turg to support THAT argument will ever be topped. Just galaxy brain moron stuff.
To each his own. I think the K example is significantly sillier, even.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:00 am

Yep. I'd rather not repeat the whole F the NCAA thread all over again, but relenting the enormous imbalance of power is why it took so long for change.

Parallels everywhere.
The imbalance of power is the story of the sport over the last 25 years. And the correction will be the story of, perhaps, the next 25. It's that fundamental of an issue.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:07 am

And in both situations, a guy leaving a coveted job opens things up for younger people to take over.

I want Self to stay here as long as he's a top notch coach, but in general, I don't like that there are so many 80 year olds (looking at you ACC) occupying these highly coveted jobs.

I always think about that with Emeritus professors...you're just forcing more people to stay at a post-doc longer.

AND the young assistant coach might not have a problem with 4X the old amount of recruiting, because that's all he knows. Whereas the older coach was happier when it was a smaller percentage of his workload.
And then a lot of these old guys are just picking his successor.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I welcome new blood in coaching.
I just don't like college as a semi pro/pro sport.
I'd say the under/over of years before there's a power 64 league created separate from the NCAA where players get paid is at 4.5.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:11 am The imbalance of power is the story of the sport over the last 25 years.
and you needed to turn it into the story of HCJW retiring, why.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"