Memorial/Funeral Services

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Memorial/Funeral Services

Post by DrPepper »

What are your thoughts on streaming a memorial service on Facebook? I haven't had to deal with this and a close friend is asking my advice. I said I do not know, but this sure has me thinking. Out of respect for the living, shouldn't people get off their butts and get to the service or at least send a card? What does one gain by watching a streaming service?

Maybe if Auntie Em is so fragile she can not leave her bedroom we could take some photos or video for her, but I still do not think I would want to STREAM IT LIVE ON FACEBOOK. If it HAD to be on Facebook, can we put it in a private group?

What has been your experience?
What are your thoughts?
What would you do?
TIA
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Memorial/Funeral Services

Post by pdub »

I think with the uncertainty of the pandemic it makes sense for some.
But for the majority of circumstances, no, to me, it's disrespectful or insincere.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We unfortunately lost a friend in his early 20's to cancer last year.

Was from a pretty small town in Kansas, but made a national impact through building awareness. Outside of the HS football stadium, there simply was no venue that could hold the expected amount of people. Satellite location with facebook livestream and publicly available facebook livestream from the church's account was the only option for the amount of interested people to pay their respects live.

I was halfway across the world when it happened. I was able to gain feeling a little part of the livestream and then the recording was also nice.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I didn't know this was a thing.
My first reaction is that this is a terrible idea and to get off your butt and go to the service.
But, this may help those who can't get up off of their butts but still wish to "attend". Might be helpful for immunocompromised people as well. Or people far off with kids.

If this has to be done, a private stream is the way to go. I'd have issues if it were open to the public. I don't know enough about facebook to know if the stream can be privatized. The venue could probably set up a Zoom/MS Teams conference.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Were it a loved one of mine, I would prefer making a recording available to non-attendees after the fact, as opposed to trying to manage (and deal with the possible hiccups) of a live production.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

It must have been 1997. I was traveling around Europe with a eurorail pass when my grandmother died. I was given a tape cassette of the service when I got back to Kansas.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

live streaming is a thing in this covid world. and the funeral home will leave it up on the website for a period of time after the fact for those that cannot watch it live.

my experience, the service was streamed on the funeral home website. i don't think it was streamed on facebook.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

More and more common. For good reasons.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we do funerals all wrong, imo

https://youtu.be/hiElhnD1JME

probably top 5 most amazing cultural experiences for me was attending a similar funeral
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?