NFL 2022

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: NFL 2022

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 pm I know most here won't care at all, which is entirely understandable when your team wins, but the NFL did not cover itself in glory yesterday, which is often the best day of the year in the NFL.

You had the 4 best teams playing in a semifinal and the first game was an absolute snoozefest and the second game was filled with bad play and bad officiating. Most of the national headlines I am seeing today are about officiating and blown plays and not the actual games.

NFL needs to tweak for the audience again. So little game action over 4 hours.
I wonder what the NFLPA's view on emergency quarterbacks is. Generally, players' unions are in favor of more roster spots for obvious reasons. But, the same reasons players' unions don't want big practice squads would seem to apply here (namely, that a team locking up an "emergency" quarterback might keep that guy from jumping into a better situation when it opens up).

I suspect you'll see something on this over the offseason - I agree that it's bad business (not to mention dangerous) for a team to essentially play without a quarterback.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:27 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 pm I know most here won't care at all, which is entirely understandable when your team wins, but the NFL did not cover itself in glory yesterday, which is often the best day of the year in the NFL.

You had the 4 best teams playing in a semifinal and the first game was an absolute snoozefest and the second game was filled with bad play and bad officiating. Most of the national headlines I am seeing today are about officiating and blown plays and not the actual games.

I wonder what the NFLPA's view on emergency quarterbacks is. Generally, players' unions are in favor of more roster spots for obvious reasons. But, the same reasons players' unions don't want big practice squads would seem to apply here (namely, that a team locking up an "emergency" quarterback might keep that guy from jumping into a better situation when it opens up).

I suspect you'll see something on this over the offseason - I agree that it's bad business (not to mention dangerous) for a team to essentially play without a quarterback.
Yes, that's a good point. There does need to be something done about that. Super Bowls can get ruined just as easily by that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:31 pm

Yes, that's a good point. There does need to be something done about that. Super Bowls can get ruined just as easily by that.
It's just very complicated, including because (more than any other position) quarterbacks have the secret sauce. There are very good competitive reasons for not wanting there to be a lot of turnover at the position.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:31 pm

It's just very complicated, including because (more than any other position) quarterbacks have the secret sauce. There are very good competitive reasons for not wanting there to be a lot of turnover at the position.
Yet, the NFL wants even more games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NFL announces a near $225 million salary cap for next season. So insane. That's why the big QB and WR contracts the in the last year or so never concerned me. They're going to keep kicking these salaries down the road and dumping them in some fashion when it goes poorly for the teams. Look for even bigger and longer contracts coming up.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Tyler Huntley and Derek Carr to the Pro Bowl.

It's time to just axe this thing.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:02 pm Tyler Huntley and Derek Carr to the Pro Bowl.

It's time to just axe this thing.
My god.

Do something else to honor the pro bowlers. This is getting silly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Those 2 TD passes that Huntley threw must have been really something to see.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Payton to Denver.

One of my least favorite coaches paired up with one of my least favorite fan bases. They'll be easy to root against for awhile.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:38 pm Payton to Denver.

One of my least favorite coaches paired up with one of my least favorite fan bases. They'll be easy to root against for awhile.
Have fun with Russell Wilson.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gave up a 1st and a 2nd for him.
Marvelous.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:38 pm Payton to Denver.

And not all that fun to root FOR.

Seems like the BEST case for them is to be in cap and draft hell, as opposed to cap/draft/QB hell.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:29 pm Those 2 TD passes that Huntley threw must have been really something to see.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoFqlFOupAU ... M4ZDc5MmU=
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Tom Brady officially done. Retired
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am Tom Brady officially done. Retired
I mean, maybe. But if a contender's QB pops an ACL any time from July-October...he's answering the phone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still think there's a slim chance he and Gronk pop up on the 9ers for one last go.

Brock might be out a full year. Who knows what happens with Jimmy G. No idea what you're getting with Trey Lance.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am I still think there's a slim chance he and Gronk pop up on the 9ers for one last go.

Brock might be out a full year. Who knows what happens with Jimmy G. No idea what you're getting with Trey Lance.
My understanding (look at this Holiday Inn Express keycard in my pocket) is that QB Tommy John surgery isn't nearly as much down-time as pitcher surgery. Which isn't to say you might not see Brady there regardless.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If the Brian Flores fiasco doesn't happen when it did, Brady's still in Miami.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Depends.
Brock's injury is at least six months. Could be a year.
If you split the difference, he's still missing half a season.

The 9ers won't know until closer to when the season starts. They have to make decisions before then. If Brock ain't back and Trey is bad/injured in September, they'll ring Tom for sure ( that is, if Rodgers isn't surfin' USA ).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This Brady retirement will drive the price up for Derek Carr.
Raiders have to deal soon ( by mid Feb ) or will have to pay him ( or cut him ) big time.