NFL 2022

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NFL 2022

Post by pdub »

I don't think the NFL should be a judge and jury for things outside of football BUT since they are, yes, this judgement, compared to others, is a joke.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Well. This was kind of out of their hands. Third party judge decided this. NFL wanted at least a year. NFLPA wanted 0 games. Does the NFL appeal and fight the process that they set up a few years ago? Should be interesting.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I haven't followed close enough, but I wonder if the lack of criminal charges forced the NFL to seek a lighter punishment. Guessing they knew they would be in a legal battle w/ NFLPA on this and a multi-year suspension was going to be tough to stick.

If there would have been charges and/or convictions, then I personally would have been fine with a permanent ban based on the player conduct codes. NFL/sports have too blind of an eye to these issues, imo.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:34 am I don't think the NFL should be a judge and jury for things outside of football BUT since they are, yes, this judgement, compared to others, is a joke.
He got the same length of suspension as DeAndre Hopkins got for having trace amounts of a PED in one test sample.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:47 am I haven't followed close enough, but I wonder if the lack of criminal charges forced the NFL to seek a lighter punishment. Guessing they knew they would be in a legal battle w/ NFLPA on this and a multi-year suspension was going to be tough to stick.

If there would have been charges and/or convictions, then I personally would have been fine with a permanent ban based on the player conduct codes. NFL/sports have too blind of an eye to these issues, imo.
imo, the lack of criminal charges from the grand jury is (or at least should be) the bigger story
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 am imo, the lack of criminal charges from the grand jury is (or at least should be) the bigger story
Yep.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:47 am I haven't followed close enough, but I wonder if the lack of criminal charges forced the NFL to seek a lighter punishment. Guessing they knew they would be in a legal battle w/ NFLPA on this and a multi-year suspension was going to be tough to stick.

imo, the lack of criminal charges from the grand jury is (or at least should be) the bigger story
In what way?
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I believe they said 6 games is the standard for a first violation of the league's personal conduct policy, so with the grand jury not charging him for whatever reason, the arbitrator was basically handcuffed when it comes to recommending anything longer than what's outlined in the CBA.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:25 am

In what way?
in the way that alleged pathological sexual assault not being charged criminally should be the subject of conversation, rather than the nfl’s response

how the grand jury decided not to pursue criminal charges is beyond me, and is the real travesty (aside from the actual “alleged” assaults themselves)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:48 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:25 am
In what way?
in the way that alleged pathological sexual assault not being charged criminally should be the subject of conversation, rather than the nfl’s response

how the grand jury decided not to pursue criminal charges is beyond me, and is the real travesty (aside from the actual “alleged” assaults themselves)
Gotcha, I don't disagree, just thought there was a few different things that your post could have meant.

I think, as always, the caveat here is the very different burdens of proof, not having access to the evidence, etc., but your point is well taken.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The backlash to this seems pretty significant.

I can see the NFL appealing and Goodell slapping Watson with a year ban, at minimum.

NFLPA will sue, and from what little I have read about it, will likely lose as they collectively bargained the appellate process. Very similar to Tom Brady. Their system really needs an overhaul.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

An NFL Network show, Good Morning Football, went in pretty hard on this too. And they're mostly produced and monitored by the league.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

The NFLPA coming out and saying they would not appeal the decision no matter what it was and then trying to pressure the league into making the same commitment really was foreshadowing.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

If the NFL is going to suspend players based on ACCUSATIONS then most NFL Players should be suspended for something.
If Watson did what he was accused of doing to even one woman - and was found guilty - then I fully support his being suspended for multiple games - if not a permanent ban.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The NFL has suspended a number of players based on accusations.
I don't necessarily agree with it but once you've set a precedent, you need to be more reasonable with equal/fair punishment.

It's difficult to believe he didn't do something very wrong if 24 women came forward.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Skyy Moore leaves practice with a hip injury.
Of course.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:19 am If the NFL is going to suspend players based on ACCUSATIONS then most NFL Players should be suspended for something.
If Watson did what he was accused of doing to even one woman - and was found guilty - then I fully support his being suspended for multiple games - if not a permanent ban.
So buying himself out of a court decision by reaching a financial settlement with the accusers gets him off punishment free?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:07 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:19 am If the NFL is going to suspend players based on ACCUSATIONS then most NFL Players should be suspended for something.
So buying himself out of a court decision by reaching a financial settlement with the accusers gets him off punishment free?
Excellent question! I just feel it opens a bad precedent to punish someone for something they may not have done. On the flip side, I can all but promise you the majority of NFL players have done something worthy of suspension and yet the majority of NFL players have not been suspended.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Are you referring to the civil lawsuit or criminal trial?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:09 am
Are you referring to the civil lawsuit or criminal trial?
You don't reach financial settlements with accusers to end criminal court cases, Illy. Is that a question that seriously needed to be asked? I also assume you already know that there aren't any criminal court cases going on. So just say what you were trying to say.