Welcome Kevin McCullar

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:30 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:19 pm

McCullar is nearly lab-created, in terms of what he can do and how that lines up with what Self wants.
I already like him more than Garrett.

I had a good feeling that Self would bring out his offensive talent.
The difference is entirely roles/expectations, right? If Garrett wasn't ever asked to have a bigger role than what McCullar has this year (if Garrett's peak role had been what it was in 2019-20)...no one would have a bad taste in their mouth over his final year.

So the blame really rests with Self, who found himself having to put the ball in Marcus' hands MUCH more than he should have had it.
That's a large part of it, but McCullar's shot form does not make me want to gouge my eyes out.

I think McCullar might be the more versatile defender, too, and, dare I say it, perhaps better. He's also rebounding like a boss.

But certainly 2021 is mostly Bill's fault and he got a little cocky thinking he could use his favorite swiss army knife for such an important role.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:34 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:22 pm

I already like him more than Garrett.

I had a good feeling that Self would bring out his offensive talent.
The difference is entirely roles/expectations, right? If Garrett wasn't ever asked to have a bigger role than what McCullar has this year (if Garrett's peak role had been what it was in 2019-20)...no one would have a bad taste in their mouth over his final year.

So the blame really rests with Self, who found himself having to put the ball in Marcus' hands MUCH more than he should have had it.
That's a large part of it, but McCullar's shot form does not make me want to gouge my eyes out.

I think McCullar might be the more versatile defender, too, and, dare I say it, perhaps better. He's also rebounding like a boss.

But certainly 2021 is mostly Bill's fault and he got a little cocky thinking (1) Dot would be back, and (2) failing Dot coming back, he could use his favorite swiss army knife for such an important role.
Fixed, but yeah.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:56 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:34 pm

But certainly 2021 is mostly Bill's fault and he got a little cocky thinking (1) Dot would be back, and (2) failing Dot coming back, he could use his favorite swiss army knife for such an important role.
Fixed, but yeah.
IIRC, that was also the year the staff was quite certain they would land Cade Cunningham and loaded the eggs in that basket. Should have given them Bryce Thompson then and swapped with Cade.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Didn’t we pretty much know Dot was gone tho?

Dude had already declared once.

An actual postseason is a nice enough reason to return, but short of NIL being a thing yet, just not sure there was much left for him at this level.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

McCullar is absolutely fantastic when he doesn't try to do too much on offense. He's not a good creator on the ball, he turns it over way too much or takes a bad shot when trying to do so.

When he plays within himself on that end he's absolutely awesome.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:37 pm McCullar is absolutely fantastic when he doesn't try to do too much on offense. He's not a good creator on the ball, he turns it over way too much or takes a bad shot when trying to do so.

Yes, but we should know from last season that growing pains and fit just take time with high profile senior transfers. McC is even more of an offensive threat than I thought, and I had high expectations. He's a dog.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:39 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:37 pm McCullar is absolutely fantastic when he doesn't try to do too much on offense. He's not a good creator on the ball, he turns it over way too much or takes a bad shot when trying to do so.

Yes, but we should know from last season that growing pains and fit just take time with high profile senior transfers. McC is even more of an offensive threat than I thought, and I had high expectations. He's a dog.
You know who he plays like, is Josh Jackson.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mc is a more polished overall game. Better handles and such.

Josh was more raw, but made up for it by being bigger, more explosive, and batshit crazy competitiveness.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

No, not at all. Jackson could create for himself and others. He also shoots at a worse percentage despite being less aggressive.

McCullar is turning it over 3 times a game, and he's not even trying to create that often. It would be one thing if Wilson turned it over that much considering how much he attacks. But with McCullar, considering his lack of creating, that's way too many turnovers.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Nah fam
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Josh played on a good half court team. Kevin does not.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:51 pm Mc is a more polished overall game. Better handles and such.

Josh was more raw, but made up for it by being bigger, more explosive, and batshit crazy competitiveness.
Sure. McCullar plays like he has 80% (or whatever) of Jackson's physical ability, and 120% (or whatever) of his savvy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:54 pm

Nah fam
That’s a nah fam from me as well.
lwh69ku

Post by lwh69ku »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:04 pm Didn’t we pretty much know Dot was gone tho?

Dude had already declared once.

An actual postseason is a nice enough reason to return, but short of NIL being a thing yet, just not sure there was much left for him at this level.
Which is really too bad timing-wise for him. A couple years of NIL as the face of KU basketball has to be a lot better than making $75K in G league.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

He has the defensive anticipation skills that Jackson had, which were elite. I really loved how Jackson was able to sniff out what an opponent wanted to do and disrupt it before it ever got going. But not much else about McCullar reminds me of him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:53 am

He has the defensive anticipation skills that Jackson had, which were elite. I really loved how Jackson was able to sniff out what an opponent wanted to do and disrupt it before it ever got going. But not much else about McCullar reminds me of him.
Broken jumper that seems to work. Similar size. Can handle it but not really beat you.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Jackson could beat you, McCullar can't. Even when he has bigs switched onto him. Jackson was second option and still shot 51% from the field and 38% from 3. McCullar is 45% and 34%. That's a pretty significant difference.

Again, McCullar is great when he just lets things come to him and get his baskets off cuts and open threes. But he's not when he tries to create with the ball in his hands or force shots, which some games he does.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:25 pmJackson was second option and still shot 51% from the field and 38% from 3. McCullar is 45% and 34%.
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:58 pm Josh played on a good half court team. Kevin does not.
Josh's NBA numbers are more indicative to the type of jump shooter he really is/was.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:25 pm Jackson could beat you, McCullar can't. Even when he has bigs switched onto him. Jackson was second option and still shot 51% from the field and 38% from 3. McCullar is 45% and 34%. That's a pretty significant difference.

Again, McCullar is great when he just lets things come to him and get his baskets off cuts and open threes. But he's not when he tries to create with the ball in his hands or force shots, which some games he does.
And that's why they are way different.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:27 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:25 pmJackson was second option and still shot 51% from the field and 38% from 3. McCullar is 45% and 34%.
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:58 pm Josh played on a good half court team. Kevin does not.
Josh's NBA numbers are more indicative to the type of jump shooter he really is/was.
Jackson shot 43.5% from three in conference play on 46 attempts. I don't care what he did in the NBA. I would LOVE IT if McCullar would shoot 43.5% from three in Big 12 play this season.