Welcome Kevin McCullar

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:54 pm ride that pony you're almost to the 8 second whistle.
I think we all agree that the portal and NIL are reshaping college sports. Here, that reshaping works out for the player and the school (and, obviously, the school's fans).

I'm 100% in favor of great college-level (or G-League or Europe level) players playing in college, not the G-League or Europe. So of course I'm thrilled that McCullar is back.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think McCullar probably would have come back even if NIL wasn't a thing given his chances at getting drafted.

So the "told you NIL will be good for CBB" stance you're parading about does nothing for me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:07 pm I think McCullar probably would have come back even if NIL wasn't a thing given his chances at getting drafted.

So the "told you NIL will be good for CBB" stance you're parading about does nothing for me.
Ok.

I suppose one can make whatever assumptions one wants about what McCullar would have done in a world without NIL.*

Me, I strongly doubt he would have come back to KU** if the total comp available (NIL money and all the other cool stuff) was not (to him) at least competitive with what he could have got in a two-way contract or Europe. I think it would be pretty naive to assume otherwise.

In any case, to me, a world where a cool basketball player chooses college over Tulsa/Turkey is a good world. And there is no logical argument that NIL, for its faults, works against that world.

* That McCullar wouldn't be here at all without the free transfer rule is clear.

** Would he have come to KU in the first place without NIL? Dunno!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I think it would be pretty naive to assume otherwise."

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's as if players never decided to stay in college instead of going to play in the pros - whether that be the NBA or overseas - before NIL.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:40 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:39 am Couldn’t have done much better in the portal than this
I also think it would be naive NOT to think that McCullar is probably a solid reference case for how NIL means that college ball can now compete with sub-NBA pro ball.

NIL cash, very much plus all of the other cool things that come with college ball over Tulsa or Turkey, means that college ball can, does and will keep guys who would otherwise be playing in Tulsa or Turkey.
Yea, I too think of this as an NIL success story.

Unless he was gonna get drafted, it’s nice that college is the 2nd best option for a dood like Mc
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think it would be pretty naive to assume this would be a possibility without Covid. I think of this as a Covid success story.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm It's as if players never decided to stay in college instead of going to play in the pros - whether that be the NBA or overseas - before NIL.
Well of course they did.

But there’s a line somewhere. The line represents the point where leaving school is more attractive than staying. I don’t think it’s controversial at all to say that NIL moves the line away from “leave” and toward “stay”.

I think that’s a good thing.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:50 pm I think it would be pretty naive to assume this would be a possibility without Covid. I think of this as a Covid success story.
The fact Kevin mccullar is even alive is a covid success story
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Don't. Start.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sigh (not at you pdub...) ....I was referring to the super senior extra year granted by covid...

I shouldve known better. I knew where that would invetiably lead.

my bad.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:31 pm sigh (not at you pdub...) ....I was referring to the super senior extra year granted by covid...

I shouldve known better. I knew where that would invetiably lead.

my bad.
Don't be too hard on yourself, living in a post-truth world can get complicated.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:37 am Allsome.

Welcome back.
^^^^^^

I'm thrilled!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

So who is the biggest loser minutes-wise by McCullar's return?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

AlOerter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:58 pm So who is the biggest loser minutes-wise by McCullar's return?
Probably Arterio Morris and one of the freshmen who otherwise would have played a more significant role.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It will really help defensively. More bodies.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:11 pm
AlOerter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:58 pm So who is the biggest loser minutes-wise by McCullar's return?
Probably Arterio Morris and one of the freshmen who otherwise would have played a more significant role.
I think Morris' role will be to spell Dajuan. It's more likely to be the freshmen, unless one of them really blows us away / impresses Bill.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

AlOerter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:13 pm
I think Morris' role will be to spell Dajuan. It's more likely to be the freshmen, unless one of them really blows us away / impresses Bill.
I think whoever the backup PG is, Morris or Jackson, is going to play at the 2 also.

Harris
Timberlake
McCullar
KJ
Dickinson

Morris
Jackson
Adams
Braun, cause of big foul trouble or fatigue (since KJ is probably shifting to the 5 when Dickinson is out)

I would guess that we're going to get another big, and that one of Morris/Jackson/Adams isn't going to play much by late season.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Mjl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:21 pm
AlOerter wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:13 pm
I think whoever the backup PG is, Morris or Jackson, is going to play at the 2 also.

Harris
Timberlake
McCullar
KJ
Dickinson

Morris
Jackson
Adams
Braun, cause of big foul trouble or fatigue (since KJ is probably shifting to the 5 when Dickinson is out)

I would guess that we're going to get another big, and that one of Morris/Jackson/Adams isn't going to play much by late season.
Agree with all of that Mjl.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

timberlake
Just Ledoux it