Welcome Kevin McCullar

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:50 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:35 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am when you are paid 3/4's of a million dollars to perform. you don't get to voluntarily sit out to protect your draft position.
If you wrote the check, I assume you had the opportunity to negotiate terms.
for name, image, and likeness. Not heart
I don’t disagree.

My point is that whoever is paying McCullar whatever amount of money is who took the financial risk of Kevin not playing when he arguably could.

KU didn’t. The State of Kansas didn’t. Not unless, in either case, you want to go so far as to say that McCullar is doing KU wrong on just his KU-provided comp alone (cost of attendance, all the cool shit, etc).

My opinion is that, sooner rather than later, this NIL collective fiction will be swept aside. And that, in a direct pay world, KU would (and should) have a lot more say (or remedy) in situations like this.

I think I’m agreeing with the anti-$$ folks here - if someone is getting paid like a pro, they should be expected to perform like a pro. Right this second, KU isn’t the one paying, and so isn’t really in a position to be making demands.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

https://x.com/coachbillself/status/177 ... aiHgpnZzsg

So he should have been shut down and let to heal six weeks ago since the regular season didn’t matter (weren’t those actually self’s paraphrased words earlier this year to deflect some losing?)

This season sucks. I still hope they make it to next weekend, but my spoiled bratness is showing, and I want it to stop….and not by becoming accustomed to 10 loss seasons.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:58 pm https://x.com/coachbillself/status/177 ... aiHgpnZzsg

So he should have been shut down and let to heal six weeks ago since the regular season didn’t matter (weren’t those actually self’s paraphrased words earlier this year to deflect some losing?)

This season sucks. I still hope they make it to next weekend, but my spoiled bratness is showing, and I want it to stop….and not by becoming accustomed to 10 loss seasons.
Hard to say, right? When we first brought Kevin back, we were still playing for the league title. Should we have punted on the league title for an improved chance of having Kevin now?

My answer would have been yes.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I thought they said as a team, essentially, they weren’t playing for the big 12 as the most important prize this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self's on damage control.
On the day of our 1st round game.
What a mess.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:03 pm Self's on damage control.
What a mess.
Beats last year I guess.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:01 pm I thought they said as a team, essentially, they weren’t playing for the big 12 as the most important prize this year.
This is what I mean by hard to say - I would also understand wanting to know, before 9pm tonight, what exactly you could expect from him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:04 pm
What a mess.
Beats last year I guess.
I guess?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

What a mess.
Wow. A social media post by Bill?

Wtf is going on. Kansas fans must be on Kevin even worse than I thought.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm Whomever that poster is:
a. is welcome back, they can talk trash on me here
b. should read this quote:

"What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing; it also depends on what sort of person you are."

- C.S. Lewis
The Lurker responds: "My point still stands."

Attempts to lure them back have been unsuccessful.

IMO, the first half of the quote is irrefutable.

I think the second half is almost nearly so.

In the absence of certainty I'm not sure what causes me to give KM the benefit of the doubt and for you to suspect his motives, but it likely says something about us both. Am I hopelessly naive and you're street smart, or did your governess abuse you while she was wearing blue and scarlet?

"No two people see the external world in exactly the same way. To every separate person a thing is what he thinks it is -- in other words, not a thing, but a think."

Penelope Fitzgerald
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:13 pm
What a mess.

what was the post?
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:27 pm
What a mess.

what was the post?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:18 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm Whomever that poster is:
a. is welcome back, they can talk trash on me here
b. should read this quote:

"What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing; it also depends on what sort of person you are."

- C.S. Lewis
The Lurker responds: "My point still stands."

Attempts to lure them back have been unsuccessful.

IMO, the first half of the quote is irrefutable.

I think the second half is almost nearly so.

In the absence of certainty I'm not sure what causes me to give KM the benefit of the doubt and for you to suspect his motives, but it likely says something about us both. Am I hopelessly naive and you're street smart, or did your governess abuse you while she was wearing blue and scarlet?

"No two people see the external world in exactly the same way. To every separate person a thing is what he thinks it is -- in other words, not a thing, but a think."

Penelope Fitzgerald
So Rman is drinking again.....
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:32 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:27 pm

what was the post?
ok, settles it for me. I'll take Selfs word on it.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess is this.

McCullar could have gone. He was in a lot of pain. It clearly would have affected his play. He also felt it would hurt his draft status and ability to workout at the combine. But he could have played today.

Self and co ( Hunter included ) were frustrated with his are you good are you not good all season. Self asked him this week if he think he'd be able to go. He said no. Self was over it and probably thought McCullar would fight through it...and so he just said, ok well, then we're shutting you down all tournament.

I don't doubt Kevin was working his ass off in rehab so he could get better and on the court. But Self said this week that McCullar just scored 19 points a couple weeks ago in an interview. He specifically also said that Kevin said he wasn't going to play and that the knee hadn't gotten worse.

What I don't believe in that social post, because of what he said earlier, is this last part that is going to shed the responsibility off Kevin and onto the doctors:

"At that time our team doctors collectively came to the decisions to not play and allow the healing process to not be interrupted."

Self saw what his frustrations with the situation had done on the fan base. People went full rabid on socials. Self had to backtrack.
It's a good thing to do for Kevin's sake but because of the entirety of what has transpired before this, I'm not buying that part. Kevin shut himself down.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:02 am I just don't know why he word for word say "good enough to be out there for my teammates" twice, unless it's a jab. Otherwise it's just a crazy coincidence

Mccullar would be playing in pain, nobody is doubting that. But he could go. He's tried to go several times since this injury occurred

He just doesn't want to play hobbled on the big stage and risk hurting his draft stock
Maybe it is "a jab" and perhaps he said it because we have ______ on this site who continuously THINK he's more about himself and money than he is about his team and teammates - and have expressed as such on here?
I don't know, probably not. It was just a thought. :?

As far as McCullar, I'm doubting a few things about him. I choose not to fully believe (or at least be leery of) everything I read and hear.
For example, is it really just a "bone bruise"? We have been told it is but why should I assume that's 100% true? I can (and do) ASSUME a lot of things but that's all I really choose to do in regards to player and coach "speak".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

very true, gutter

i doubt they’d tell us, though, that he has sand in his vagina
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:56 pm My guess is this.

McCullar could have gone. He was in a lot of pain. It clearly would have affected his play. He also felt it would hurt his draft status and ability to workout at the combine. But he could have played today.

Self and co ( Hunter included ) were frustrated with his are you good are you not good all season. Self asked him this week if he think he'd be able to go. He said no. Self was over it and probably thought McCullar would fight through it...and so he just said, ok well, then we're shutting you down all tournament.

I don't doubt Kevin was working his ass off in rehab so he could get better and on the court. But Self said this week that McCullar just scored 19 points a couple weeks ago in an interview. He specifically also said that Kevin said he wasn't going to play and that the knee hadn't gotten worse.

What I don't believe in that social post, because of what he said earlier, is this last part that is going to shed the responsibility off Kevin and onto the doctors:

"At that time our team doctors collectively came to the decisions to not play and allow the healing process to not be interrupted."

Self saw what his frustrations with the situation had done on the fan base. People went full rabid on socials. Self had to backtrack.
It's a good thing to do for Kevin's sake but because of the entirety of what has transpired before this, I'm not buying that part. Kevin shut himself down.
I think we'd agree that Bill botched this (and he is probably not alone there).

The much better course of action (for lots of reasons, relating to both this year and future years) would have been for every official word to have been pro-Kevin and, if those with better information than we've got around here felt Kevin was at least partially in the wrong, there are ways to get that message out.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

What a mess.

Have you read the shit people been saying on Facebook or X?

Makes kansascrimson look like a bunch of reasonable level headed posters
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:57 pm
What a mess.

Have you read the shit people been saying on Facebook or X?

Makes kansascrimson look like a bunch of reasonable level headed posters
I don't have Twitter. But I saw some stuff on Instagram before KM turned comments off on all his shit.