Dark Star

You Love It.
ousdahl

Re: Dark Star

Post by ousdahl »

not entirely on point but close enough that I'm posting here...

sooo

guess what show Beav and I are finally gonna go see?!?!?!?!?!

Phish!

pretty excited! now, just to figure out some fun costumes to wear. What do you guys think?

might try to do something from the totally random thread, like some kinda goofy animals, or Star Wars characters, or maybe reprise the Blues Brothers from Halloween.

I also kinda like the idea of wearing a bunch of Reel Big Fish merch, and acting like we're expecting ska music, then pretending to be underwhelmed when we find out the band is actually just a Phish of no particularly large size.

Beav's fave is Mango Song, so he's hoping for that.

I personally hope they melt our faces with a 45 minute Tweezer...and/or just a crunchy ZZ Top cover.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ohhhhhh!!!

Guess who just got hooked up a ticket to Friday too!

Or, should I say, Phriday.

Gonna reprise the blues brothers for this night.

Sat, recover.

Sunday, gonna get one of those hats that makes it look like I have dreadlocks, on the chance the wooks take me in as one of their own.
ousdahl

Re: Sat Shack

Post by ousdahl »

Phish got no bites in the dead thread so guess I’ll just have to live blog em on the juke box here.

Cuz oh man oh man on man just got into Dicks! Holy shit lots of wooks!

Shakedown street was pretty impressive too. Holy shit lots of nitrous! Gonna try and score a grilled cheese there on the way back to the car. Also chugged some dollar coorses from a friendly hippie. Now into Dicks and drinking $14 dollar Dales tall boys in anticipation.

They played Tweezer last night, which means I prob one get one for the rest of the weekend. But that also means increased chance of Tweezer reprise, best two minutes in music.

I’ll call Birds of a feather to open

I’d also love to get:

Free
Gumbo
Any ZZ Top cover
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Still not on.

Also godamnit I thought I was at the sat shack?

I mean I thought I was at dicks?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:49 pm Still not on.

Also godamnit I thought I was at the sat shack?

I mean I thought I was at dicks?

Set 1:
Wolfman's Brother

Sparkle

Bathtub Gin

Back on the Train

Halfway to the Moon

Bouncing Around the Room

Stash

Esther

David Bowie

Set 2:
Sand

No Men in No Man's Land

Llama

Mountains in the Mist

Scents and Subtle Sounds

Shine a Light
(The Rolling Stones cover)

Encore:
Wilson
Split Open and Melt
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

that first set was so huge. the initial couple chords to wolfman's brother just ripped me to my soul. And, to wrap up a monster wolfman jam, I shit you not they teased a tweeze...and tweeze reprise, at that!

Bathtub Gin strong and spicy, and the stash was so dank.

I know I said a ZZ Top cover, but David Bowie's just as good. And when I say David Bowie, I don't mean a David Bowie cover, I mean the Phish song.

second set was way more ambient spacey jammy with one song just flowing to the next in that way Phish does so well. That llama came outta nowhere and was fast as fuck. And the stones cover was a beaut.

then the encore starts with every single wook in Dicks shouting, "WIIIILLLLLLLLLLL-SOOOOOONNNNNNNN!"

man, what a show! I know recency effect, and unpopular opinion either way, but Phish really is among the rock and roll GOATS.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:18 am ^^^^^^^^^^^^

that first set was so huge. the initial couple chords to wolfman's brother just ripped me to my soul. And, to wrap up a monster wolfman jam, I shit you not they teased a tweeze...and tweeze reprise, at that!

Bathtub Gin strong and spicy, and the stash was so dank.

I know I said a ZZ Top cover, but David Bowie's just as good. And when I say David Bowie, I don't mean a David Bowie cover, I mean the Phish song.

second set was way more ambient spacey jammy with one song just flowing to the next in that way Phish does so well. That llama came outta nowhere and was fast as fuck. And the stones cover was a beaut.

then the encore starts with every single wook in Dicks shouting, "WIIIILLLLLLLLLLL-SOOOOOONNNNNNNN!"

man, what a show! I know recency effect, and unpopular opinion either way, but Phish really is among the rock and roll GOATS.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Would you say the show was more crunchy or chewy?

You help this man out and get him a ticket - to HIS show?

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Lol yea I saw that pic, good stuff.

As a whole, they needed to turn that dood up in the mix just a tad.

Last night was another monster. Fluffhead opener, holy shit, plus a SIX song encore including beav’s mango.

Not even sure what to expect tonight but I imagine another beast. Plus we got floors instead of being up in the stands. Plus last night of summer tour woo!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Kewl! Maybe Trey will call you on stage to sing Bug with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2YVG_6JWI8
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shoot, I should prob review some lyrics to prepare.

Getting excited…if it was up to me I’d already be on shakedown street haggling dollar coorses from the friendly wooks. Last truly free market in America.

…buuut instead we’re still at a sports bar in Denver watching San Jose st get blown out by the Beavs
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man.

Might have to write a big long more about it but for now, consensus seems to be they were just kinda going thru the motions last night.

Doors were scheduled to open at 6. Show was scheduled to start at 730. Realistically knew they prob wouldn’t actually take the stage til about 8.

So imagine the confusion when it’s after 9 and we’re all still just standing in line outside. As far as I know, no real attempt to communicate anything to the concertgoers, even tho they have all our emails and phone numbers. And staff who could just come out and say something. But, considering the crazy lightning storm off in the distance, we kinda figured it was a weather delay.

Pretty sure they wouldn’t let us in cuz of some liability thing? Even tho we were way MORE vulnerable standing in line outside. It might be wise, or st least courteous, for them to have some better inclement weather policy. That is to say, it might be wise, or at least courteous, for them to have any inclement weather policy at all.

Even if they made some attempt to communicate, phones weren’t really working anyway. Too many wooks in the middle of a prairie dog field all at once. Rumors fly up and down shakedown street that it’s gonna get postponed til tomorrow or canceled outright. Nerves collectively kinda high, no pun intended, as…things… kick in while the wooks are left wondering.

But finally, just trying to figure out what’s up, get a tweet search to go through, and see this:

https://x.com/phish/status/169852174201 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

Finally, we get in, and pushing damn near 10pm, start up one long ass set.

After 3 straight nights of monster openers, they go with a less familiar song from the latest album. And regardless of whether it was new or familiar, it just didn’t seem to bang as hard as it shoulda. And after standing in line for 3 hours, fans were restless and wanted to just let lose and rock. They shoulda just fingerblasted us right outta the gate with an old familiar favorite, but alas.

Got down with disease, got a gumbo, got free. Got a 2001, beav’s fave of the night, to which he Ric Flair Strutted.

Encore was first tube…then, finally, tweezer reprise! Good and hard! But about that, beav asked, “man where was that energy the entire rest of the night?”

Kinda wonder if they had something else planned and scrapped it after the weather delay. You’d think they’d thrive having to ad lib one long ass set, but the whole vibe of the night by then was all kinda weird, I guess.

Either way, still plenty entertaining. Shakedown alone was worth it. Legit might quit my job and just sell grilled cheeses on tour from now on.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pretty allsome.

I wonder what the set list was at Billy's wedding.

Also, he's playing Trey's guitar.

I dunno if there's much to that, but considering Trey's guitars are pretty much all Laguedocs (some master luthier outta Vermont who's since grown famous in the music world after being Trey's custom guitar builder), I kinda wonder if there's more to it. If there is, it's prob little more than, "it's your wedding Billy, sure I'll let you play my famous guitar."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh, and back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjHH_G-4_8
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Trey/Phish were and are huge deadheads themselves, but, despite being the shoo-in heirs to goat jam band moniker, have otherwise mostly distanced themselves from actually playing Dead tunes. Only happened a very few times, and mostly in their first few years.

Maybe it's cuz they wanted to distance themselves for the sake of creating their own sound.

Maybe it's cuz, at their first ever show (a school holiday mixer in college), their Scarlet/Fire cover got cut short when the party asked them to stop playing so they could just put Thriller on the stereo instead.

that particular song in the vid was the encore that night, performed as a tribute 3 years to the day after Jer's passing.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

What's up with the missing finger Jerry hand on the back of Houston's helmets?
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:32 pm What's up with the missing finger Jerry hand on the back of Houston's helmets?
Not quite the Jerry Hand but I can understand the confusion.

What does the hand symbol mean University of Houston?
University of Houston Alumni - Traditions
The Cougar Hand Sign

The hand sign is made by folding the ring finger of the right hand toward the palm of the hand. It's origins date back to 1953 when Shasta I lost a toe in a cage door. University of Texas fans mocked the cougar's injury by making the hand sign and UH quickly adopted it as a symbol of pride.

http://development.uh.edu/alumline/trad ... hand-sign/

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks gutter. Did you know this or did you look it up.
Defense. Rebounds.