ousdahl

Re: Jalen Wilson Junior Year

Post by ousdahl »

21 and 13

still averaging 20 and 8
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

The drop off in numbers will come as the competition picks up.

Oh, wait...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My original projection still stands in a world where he took better shots.
He just shoots a ton more of bad shots to get his numbers which is great that he’s trying to lead but also 42 percent from the field in college isn’t so great.

I’ve always been a JWill fan from when he was recruited but he takes a LOT of bad shots.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:12 pm If he bumps that 3FG a bit higher than 34-35 I think he gets drafted next year.
Well here we are.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:23 pm 21 and 13

still averaging 20 and 8
He had kind of a bad game today lol. Started off like 0-6, didn't score in maybe the first 10 minutes or more

Finished strongggg. Jalen is a stud. I hope he and this team finish strong enough for him to win national player of the year. He is a legit contender
Deleted User 863

Nobody is beating Edey.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:50 pm My original projection still stands in a world where he took better shots.
He just shoots a ton more of bad shots to get his numbers which is great that he’s trying to lead but also 42 percent from the field in college isn’t so great.

I’ve always been a JWill fan from when he was recruited but he takes a LOT of bad shots.
But he's getting to the line a lot. Points per shot is more important than field goal percentage
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

His TS%, which accounts for FTs, is .544...only Harris has a lower % among rotation players.

Also missed FG don't count as FGA when you're fouled.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Wilson is such an odd player. He doesn't seem athletic enough to play as well as he does. Then he fights all game and is still playing strong in the 4th quarter and putting buckets on good defenses, night after night. A league full of elite coaches and rosters have been able to scheme Gradey out of some games but not Wilson.

Impressive his drive to improve. He has added a lot of moves and shots to his arsenal. He has put in the work. Hats off to him for seizing the opportunity.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:41 pm Nobody is beating Edey.
Just a reminder that in Udeh's junior season that he will still be dunking lobs from Dajuan Harris. Udeh is going to be fantastic to watch develop. Can't believe he is going to have 3 seasons with a high level PG with Harris's unique abilities.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:50 pm My original projection still stands in a world where he took better shots.

All those turned down shots by Harris, Pettiford and McCullar have to go somewhere. At least Wilson has conditioned himself for an 18 game slugfest of a Big 12 season. This offense needs to be aggressive and it has some spillage if it is played below a certain speed.

Pretty impressive how fast and physical these guys can play in a 10 minute burst. They can lock a team down while speeding themselves up.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Agree that he is doing a top notch job at being the guy and being aggressive.

That doesn’t change the fact he takes a lot of bad shots ( early in the clock/out of the flow/while well guarded/doubled ).
Deleted User 863

And do you understand the reason why he takes those shots on this particular team?

He starts next to 3 offensively challenged players. Of our entire rotation, 2 players are dependable outside scoring threats. He absolutely has to take those shots or the team is worse off.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I understand yes but I don’t think he needs to at the extent that I’ve seen this season. He would do well to pass some of them, not all of them, up ( ie he doesn’t “absolutely” have to take them ) I think we should get KJ more opportunities to be honest.

Just because I’m critical of his bad shots doesn’t mean I don’t love the dude.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:22 pm Wilson is such an odd player. He doesn't seem athletic enough to play as well as he does. Then he fights all game and is still playing strong in the 4th quarter and putting buckets on good defenses, night after night. A league full of elite coaches and rosters have been able to scheme Gradey out of some games but not Wilson.

Impressive his drive to improve. He has added a lot of moves and shots to his arsenal. He has put in the work. Hats off to him for seizing the opportunity.
I'm always amazed he gets as many rebounds as he does.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
Without hops he still is a magnet for the ball after a miss.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:57 am I understand yes but I don’t think he needs to at the extent that I’ve seen this season. He would do well to pass some of them, not all of them, up ( ie he doesn’t “absolutely” have to take them ) I think we should get KJ more opportunities to be honest.

Just because I’m critical of his bad shots doesn’t mean I don’t love the dude.
I know you love him. I never think you're unfairly critical of any of our players.

You're an efficiency guy. I get it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:22 pm Wilson is such an odd player. He doesn't seem athletic enough to play as well as he does. Then he fights all game and is still playing strong in the 4th quarter and putting buckets on good defenses, night after night. A league full of elite coaches and rosters have been able to scheme Gradey out of some games but not Wilson.

Can you imagine if you could transplant Wilson's approach/confidence/mentality into one of our better athletes? Like put his brain in Wiggins or Henry or McLemore...or hell anyone who can dunk?!
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think you'd have Josh Jackson