Jalen Wilson Junior Year

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Jalen Wilson Junior Year

Post by Sparko »

DH is scoring exactly like the team needs: inside and at the line. A PG who bricks a lot of threes gives up transition points.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:15 am not that I'm defending randy, but let's get some devil's advocate downer pity here...

yea, Dajuan has been great about facilitating and defense. And he's even up to 9 points per game!

BUT

he's currently only shooting 14% from deep, which, after 7 (wide open) attempts, is just 1 make so far all year. And, despite playing almost 32 mpg, and much of that 32mpg with the ball in his hands, he's only been to the free throw line 5 times all year, where he's shooting 60%. In 2 of 4 games so far, he didn't get to the line at all.

It's great that he's doing so well in the Rondo-type role. But, Rondo had the benefit of being surrounded by guys like PP and KG and Judas Shuttlesworth. On a roster that needs shooting, at the very least that means if Dajuan won't (can't) shoot, then the burden gets that much heavier for everyone else.

If we can continue to get 9/6/3.5 boreds out of him all season, that's pretty good! But, while it seems maybe he's consistent or even improved since last year at the things he is good at (facilitating and defense), the jury may still be out on whether he's improved at all at the things he's not good at (shooting...as a high-major D1 starting guard)

now somebody guttermeter me up!
Aww. Youre defending me. I can sense our message board alliance beginning to blossom.

But no. Everything you said seems accurate. Dajuans lack of offense and athleticism concerns me because I feel like his Rondo role was a much better fit on last years team than this squad
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait, randy wants to be allies?

ok then comrade, stand in solidarity with me as we overthrow the bourgeoisie and seize the means of production!

sorry, wrong bored.

but yea, last year's squad had more upperclassman at the 2-5, so yea, in that sense a better fit for a non-shooting facilitator PG. This year, with fewer upperclassman, we need all the shooting we can get from whatever position/s can do it.

Last year tho we had the benefit of being able to sub a guard who CAN shoot at the 1, with Remy. This season, not so much. Again, I think that piece is as important as anything as far as being the difference between winning a 'ship, and loosing in the second round to Creighton.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:24 pm Which is true and which is false:

Dajuan is a very good point guard
Dajuan can't shoot and isn't very explosive
He can shoot, just not very well. And he is explosive enough to have dunked in a game before, which is more than I can say I remember for JW.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My vote right now is to go full court press. We're not a good half court team and the personnel suggests we probably won't become one unless Gradey becomes AA-worthy.

We're a great defensive team and DH and JW are great on the break.

It's fine for a honeymoon team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea!

full court press!

run run run!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:29 pm DH is scoring exactly like the team needs: inside and at the line. A PG who bricks a lot of threes gives up transition points.
This. Harris can score when needed.
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:51 pm My vote right now is to go full court press. We're not a good half court team and the personnel suggests we probably won't become one unless Gradey becomes AA-worthy.

Bill needs to go have another drink with Huggins and get the scoop on that press Virginia style basketball
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:29 pm DH is scoring exactly like the team needs: inside and at the line. A PG who bricks a lot of threes gives up transition points.
This team desperately needs three point shooting lol this ain't true at all

But DH is smart enough to play within his skills. And doing a damn fine job of it so far
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

for whatever it's worth:

free throw attempts per game:

Frank Mason '17: 6.6
Devonte Graham '18: 5.2
Devon Dotson '19: 4.1
Devon Dotson '20: 5.7
Marcus Garrett '21: 2.7
Dajuan Harris '22: 0.6
Dajuan Harris: '23 1.3 (so far)

like I said, for whatever it's worth, which prob ain't much.

But, all the other guys aside, if Dajuan is gonna be not good at shooting, AND not good at getting to the rim and drawing fouls, then he damn well BETTER be an exceptional distributor and defender.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:36 pm for whatever it's worth:

free throw attempts per game:

Frank Mason '17: 6.6
Devonte Graham '18: 5.2
Devon Dotson '19: 4.1
Devon Dotson '20: 5.7
Marcus Garrett '21: 2.7
Dajuan Harris '22: 0.6
Dajuan Harris: '23 1.3 (so far)

like I said, for whatever it's worth, which prob ain't much.

But, all the other guys aside, if Dajuan is gonna be not good at shooting, AND not good at getting to the rim and drawing fouls, then he damn well BETTER be an exceptional distributor and defender.
Uhmmmm, he kind of is.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:13 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:51 pm My vote right now is to go full court press. We're not a good half court team and the personnel suggests we probably won't become one unless Gradey becomes AA-worthy.

Bill needs to go have another drink with Huggins and get the scoop on that press Virginia style basketball
I think Bill should stick to his style. We have a really good half court defense. Pressing isn't always a benefit. Sometimes it leads to easy baskets, especially against talented guards.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The strength of this team is defense versatility and depth. I dont see offense being a strength of this team. These guys are not just magically gonna start hitting shots from the perimeter this season
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So im all for us using our depth and pressing. Speeding the game up. Making the other team uncomfortable. Using some different style presses. Some man, some zone press falling back into man. If Bill wants to get creative and try to unleash the size and speed im all for it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Pettiford, yesefu, rice, ejiofor and Udeh is a pretty good second group. This feels like a good season to use that depth and just really dial in on defense
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:59 pm These guys are not just magically gonna start hitting shots from the perimeter this season
Nope. Most won't.

But JW and Gradey can/will.

If we are patient and effective on offense, we can make sure that those 2 are the guys shooting the vast majority of our 3pt attempts.

As far as I am concerned, we should be running plays for 1 of those 2 almost every single time down the court. Not just motions. Plays where the focus is get those guys a shot/in scoring position. When defenses over play those 2, which they will, both are good enough passers to exploit it, especially Jalen.

Maybe this is crazy, but I think Gradey should be taking about 10 3pt attempts per game for this team. I think it's more realistic to expect him to take 10 a game and hit 4, than it is for DH KM KJ Yes or BP to suddenly become consistent 3pt shooter this season. Nor do I want them to attempt to become that. If teams find ways to stop JW and Gradey, so be it. I don't think they will very often. And if they do, we can still win 2 ways: with defense or by someone else stepping up and scoring points.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:04 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:59 pm These guys are not just magically gonna start hitting shots from the perimeter this season
Nope. Most won't.

But JW and Gradey can/will.

If we are patient and effective on offense, we can make sure that those 2 are the guys shooting the vast majority of our 3pt attempts.

As far as I am concerned, we should be running plays for 1 of those 2 almost every single time down the court. Not just motions. Plays where the focus is get those guys a shot/in scoring position. When defenses over play those 2, which they will, both are good enough passers to exploit it, especially Jalen.

Maybe this is crazy, but I think Gradey should be taking about 10 3pt attempts per game for this team. I think it's more realistic to expect him to take 10 a game and hit 4, than it is for DH KM KJ Yes or BP to suddenly become consistent 3pt shooter this season. Nor do I want them to attempt to become that. If teams find ways to stop JW and Gradey, so be it. I don't think they will very often. And if they do, we can still win 2 ways: with defense or by someone else stepping up and scoring points.
Yesefu could have some games where he hits a few threes. same with mccullar. DH will probably go about 1 for 3 on average all season. taking only wide open shots.

KJ and pettiford might as well not even attempt them
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:46 pm

I think Bill should stick to his style. We have a really good half court defense. Pressing isn't always a benefit. Sometimes it leads to easy baskets, especially against talented guards.
Yeah, break the press…and it is a layup drill at the other end.

Press Virginia worked because refs had to slow down whistles simply to breath.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:49 pm

And, define "worked". He hasn't really won anything.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:54 pm
Overlander wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:49 pm

And, define "worked". He hasn't really won anything.
He beat KU several times. That is an accomplishment that not many coaches can claim.