Jalen Wilson Junior Year

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Jalen Wilson Junior Year

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Need to sacrifice some defense for easy buckets this season. We've picked up full court more in this early season than we usually do. I expect it will continue.

Huggins plays mug-ball full court. Not exactly what I'm talking about. You can pressure and pick up full court and then drop back after 1 pass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

On a similar note, I would guess that tomorrow could be pretty dang ugly. Our style of play and lacking shooters playing inside a weirdly lit ballroom. Get some steals and layups, please.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Full court man, lots of subbing, that takes advantages of our strengths.

Maybe the occasional full court trap defense, but that's where you get issues with giving up easy baskets - but it's also where this team can get some turnovers if mixing it in
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 pm Full court man, lots of subbing, that takes advantages of our strengths.

Maybe the occasional full court trap defense, but that's where you get issues with giving up easy baskets - but it's also where this team can get some turnovers if mixing it in
Bingo. We're not going Huggins.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:00 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:54 pm
Overlander wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:49 pm

Yeah, break the press…and it is a layup drill at the other end.

Press Virginia worked because refs had to slow down whistles simply to breath.
And, define "worked". He hasn't really won anything.
He beat KU several times. That is an accomplishment that not many coaches can claim.
Absolutely. He is a great coach. My point is that his style hasn't produced results that would be acceptable at KU, nor are they comparable to the results Self's style has produced. He's been a coach for almost (over?) 40 years and only has 2 final 4s.

I am not shitting on Huggins, just don't think Self needs pointers from him on defensive philosophy.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:17 pm
Mjl wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 pm Full court man, lots of subbing, that takes advantages of our strengths.

Bingo. We're not going Huggins.
Yes. Difference between applying full court pressure and pressing/trapping like Huggins does. It's exciting. I am sure it'd be fun to watch this group do because they'd be good at it. But I like what we've been doing.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:44 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:54 pm

And, define "worked". He hasn't really won anything.
He beat KU several times. That is an accomplishment that not many coaches can claim.
Absolutely. He is a great coach. My point is that his style hasn't produced results that would be acceptable at KU, nor are they comparable to the results Self's style has produced. He's been a coach for almost (over?) 40 years and only has 2 final 4s.

I am not shitting on Huggins, just don't think Self needs pointers from him on defensive philosophy.
At what point did I say anything that would indicate I said Self needed pointers?
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:15 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:44 pm

At what point did I say anything that would indicate I said Self needed pointers?
At what point did I say that YOU said anything like that?

Randy mentioned Self having drinks with Huggy, which prompted the comment I made that you replied to.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Huggins made a final 4 at west Virginia. I think. At least an elite 8.

Huggins is consistently good/competitive and really doesn't have very good recruiting.

If Huggins had KU level talent every year it would be interesting what he could do with it
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:02 am

If Huggins had KU level talent every year it would be interesting what he could do with it
No doubt.

But then again, just about every coach would be better with KU talent.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Under over set at 21.5 today.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Beav says he’s doing PoY things
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Never doubt the bev
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Jalen aint gonna go for 30 every game. Need to find ways to win without expecting him to do that
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

to start the new year:

21 points, 8.6 boreds, 2.8 assists

I dunno if he'll keep those numbers up thru conference play but that still feels pretty AA-ish
Deleted User 863

I think he'll keep them up. 1st team AA is in his sights.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I told friends about a month ago that Jalen's scoring numbers and efficiency was about to take a nose dive. I just am still skeptical about him being a lead scorer on a contender.

The efficiency has gone down, but he still just keeps scoring and it's often uconventioanl. But, it's still points, which we need. Aesthetically, he doesn't look like an AA to me, but the numbers might be there.

We'll see, of course. We're in for a gauntlet over the next 2+ months.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, I agree about the aesthetics.

but yea, even if it's unconventional, numbers close to/as good as that on a top 5 contender's gonna get some recognition
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

they threw up a graphic at the start of the osu game that had POY contenders…Jalen not mentioned, but his stat line thus far is every bit as impressive as those that were
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:53 am they threw up a graphic at the start of the osu game that had POY contenders…Jalen not mentioned, but his stat line thus far is every bit as impressive as those that were
Then it was a shitty graphic. He is currently tied for 2nd best odds to win PoY. +1000 with Tshiebwe. Edey clear cut front runner at -145. Timme 4th at +1300.