Motorcycles (motos)

Coffee talk.
shindig

Motorcycles (motos)

Post by shindig »

Since we have an Automobile thread, thought I would start a new one for Motos. Anybody ride? I recently bought a 2008 Triumph Thruxton 900. I've ridden some Honda CBs in the past, but it's been a while. Still trying to get used to this Triumph. Completely different than riding a trike offroad..lol.

Probably the hardest part is just getting comfortable being in traffic, at least for me. And I'm still not quite used to the twist throttle (most ATVs has thumb throttles).

Any advice for a somewhat beginner? Right now I'm just slowly cruising around Brookside on side streets, haven't got the nerve to get it out with a lot of traffic.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Motorcycles (motos)

Post by pdub »

I do not like how loud motorcycles are.
And maybe it's a stereotype/unique experience to me, but many many motorcylcists are assholes/act like assholes on the road.

I don't know if your motorcycle is loud shindig but you seem like a good dude so seem to be an exception.
shindig

Post by shindig »

My Triumph is pretty quiet for a moto. It's nothing like a Harley. I just bought it to ride around the city some, but already wondering why I bought it, but whatever.

Already had one mishap, which was not my fault, it was actually an asshole driver of a dually truck with a landscape trailer on the back. I was riding south on Grand around 74th street and the dick head driver of the truck turned right on 72nd street heading South. Now if you know that area, there are cars parked on both sides of the rode, but the driver of the truck proceeded toward me (not pulling over so I could get through) and kind of scared the shit out of me. I was only going 15 mph or so, but I made a rookie mistake and put my left foot down and my ankle nailed the footpeg. Oh yeah, talk about painful and a have a nice bruise to prove it. Seems most drivers these days (whether car or moto) are assholes.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Mine looks like this, except is has a black tank and the flair behind the seat is black.
https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/triump ... n/900.html
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, so the other day I was driving in the KC area around 74th and Grand in my perfectly reasonable F-950 and a trailer in tow. I'm trying to get down the street with parked cars on both sides, when some asshole on a motorcycle won't stop doing wheelies back and forth in front of me. Suddenly he trips his own foot on his kickstand or whatever and tries to blame me for it!

just kidding. That's a cool bike shindig, looks fun. Stay safe on that thing dude.

I've thought about getting a dual sport up here - something that could get me from my house to a forest road, then up the forest road too - but I'm familiar with motorcycles and didn't grow up around them or anything so I'm kind of a wimp about them.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Thruxtons are bad ass, good choice. Ride where you feel safe then slowly work your way out onto the highway. Remember, no one sees a motorcycle.

I have a 73 850 Norton Commando, 71 Triumph Bonneville 650, and I'm in the home stretch of finishing a rebuild of a 64 Norton Electra--picked up the new seat yesterday! I'll post pics when I figure out how to do that.
shindig

Post by shindig »

defixione wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:18 am Thruxtons are bad ass, good choice. Ride where you feel safe then slowly work your way out onto the highway. Remember, no one sees a motorcycle.

I have a 73 850 Norton Commando, 71 Triumph Bonneville 650, and I'm in the home stretch of finishing a rebuild of a 64 Norton Electra--picked up the new seat yesterday! I'll post pics when I figure out how to do that.
Oh yeah, those are awesome vintage bikes. I wish I had the time and knowledge to restore an older Triumph, but, the one I bought is pretty clean. Still needed a lot of detailing, especially the wheels, but I got her all shined up with a lot of elbow grease. And I still don't know how to upload photos as well...lol.

And I just called Engle Motors here in KC, new pedal $70...:(. Of course I bought it, but they have to order it. For now, I just put a set of billet pedals on I ordered off Amazon for $18.
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:16 am man, so the other day I was driving in the KC area around 74th and Grand in my perfectly reasonable F-950 and a trailer in tow. I'm trying to get down the street with parked cars on both sides, when some asshole on a motorcycle won't stop doing wheelies back and forth in front of me. Suddenly he trips his own foot on his kickstand or whatever and tries to blame me for it!

just kidding. That's a cool bike shindig, looks fun. Stay safe on that thing dude.

I've thought about getting a dual sport up here - something that could get me from my house to a forest road, then up the forest road too - but I'm familiar with motorcycles and didn't grow up around them or anything so I'm kind of a wimp about them.
LOL, the guy did look a lot like Releford. I grew up riding trikes and quads on dirt roads, fields, trails, etc, but it's a lot different on a street bike with cars and trucks. I'm still a wimp on it, so don't feel bad. I probably haven't got it over 30 mph in the 2 weeks I've had it...lol.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what’s everyone’s thoughts on laws that allow motorcyclists to cut to the front of the line at stop lights?

annoys the hell out of me. i keep waiting to see one of them hit somebody’s side mirror and for a confrontation to ensue
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Splitting lanes is legal in a lot of states but, like I said, no one sees motorcycles. I'm guessing the probability of a major accident increases with that move so I never do it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am what’s everyone’s thoughts on laws that allow motorcyclists to cut to the front of the line at stop lights?

annoys the hell out of me.
Annoys the hell out of me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess I can get why motorcycles are allowed to do it in some states

but I think it's abused when you realize how many motorcyclists ride like jackasses regardless. Even if it wasn't legal, they still pull shit like that all the time anyway.

yeah, it's more difficult to see motorcycles, but instead of riding with that in mind, too many motorcyclists think it's everyone else's responsibility to see them anyway...(as they're swerving between cars and doing wheelies at like 900mph)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:51 am yeah, it's more difficult to see motorcycles, but instead of riding with that in mind, too many motorcyclists think it's everyone else's responsibility to see them anyway...
bicyclists are often the same
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's a biker bar called Stars and Stripes Brewing ( yea, just imagine ) in the greater Portland area.
Next door is a meh Italian joint but with a great deck.

The collection of I'mAManLookAtMe showing off their motorcycles, riding in and revving up like it's some grand parade for each one of them, made my visit to the meh Italian place my last.

Todays bikes there is little to no reason to rev up other than to alert people to how badass you are.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, an Olive Garden with a deck?!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Meh and Olive Garden are antonyms.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, I learned Piasano's closed down, which was like Lawrences' Olive Garden.
Pretty sad times.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

As a concept, riding a motorcycle sounds fun. But I have been in too many car accidents with people who weren't paying attention to feel like I wasn't dramatically raising my odds of dying in a collision. Good to you and stay safe.

Just remember that every other driver is likely a drunk asshole with bad vision who is talking on their phone while eating a messy cheeseburger.
shindig

Post by shindig »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am what’s everyone’s thoughts on laws that allow motorcyclists to cut to the front of the line at stop lights?

annoys the hell out of me. i keep waiting to see one of them hit somebody’s side mirror and for a confrontation to ensue
That annoys me as well, I would never do it. I would treat a moto just like a car, wait your fvcking turn.