Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

serve and protect

Post by KUTradition »

or not…

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... cers-watch

Arizona man drowns in lake as officers watch: ‘I’m not jumping in after you’

…As Bickings was drowning, Bickings’ partner became increasingly distressed, begging officers to save her husband. At one point, an officer tells Bickings’ partner to get off the bridge and threatens to put her in a police car.

“If you don’t calm down, I’m going to put you in my car,” the officer said.

Bickings’ partner continues pressing the officers to jump into the water and rescue Bickings, with officers replying that a boat is on the way.

“No, no, no,” said Bickings’ partner. “Fuckin’ swim.”

“You’re not helping,” replies the officer who threatened to detain her previously.

The same officer repeatedly tells Bickings’ partner to “stop talking” and later shushes her as she watches Bickings drown…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Re: serve and protect

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Yay, another thread to bash cops!

They definitely said inappropriate and unprofessional things, but not sure I agree they should have jumped in and drowned along with the guy. Who jumped in on purpose btw.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:11 pm or not…

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... cers-watch

Arizona man drowns in lake as officers watch: ‘I’m not jumping in after you’

…As Bickings was drowning, Bickings’ partner became increasingly distressed, begging officers to save her husband. At one point, an officer tells Bickings’ partner to get off the bridge and threatens to put her in a police car.

“If you don’t calm down, I’m going to put you in my car,” the officer said.

Bickings’ partner continues pressing the officers to jump into the water and rescue Bickings, with officers replying that a boat is on the way.

“No, no, no,” said Bickings’ partner. “Fuckin’ swim.”

“You’re not helping,” replies the officer who threatened to detain her previously.

The same officer repeatedly tells Bickings’ partner to “stop talking” and later shushes her as she watches Bickings drown…
They’re cowards
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:27 pm Yay, another thread to bash cops!

They definitely said inappropriate and unprofessional things, but not sure I agree they should have jumped in and drowned along with the guy. Who jumped in on purpose btw.
They are paid to PROTECT AND SERVE.
No fucking excuse
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:03 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:27 pm Yay, another thread to bash cops!

No fucking excuse
Serving involves jumping in to chase after a guy swimming away from them? Then what was the plan? Tread water in a full uniform until they both drown together?

Nah. What they said, to the guy and girl was wrong. Outside of that, calling for help from a boat was about all they could do imo. It's not like they had life jackets in their squad car that they refused to throw to the guy.

We get it. You hate regular everyday cops because you view them as inferior. But your ass wouldn't have jumped in so you could drown with the guy either. Respectfully.

(And yes Cascadia, before you come along with your go to "back the blue" comment, I am backing the officers in this instance...not their words though, they should get in trouble for what they said and how they acted. But dude jumped in and swam away from them on purpose. Going in after him at that point, once he had gone under water far away from them, would have likely done no good for anyone and possibly resulted in the death of the officer).
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:14 pm

No fucking excuse
Serving involves jumping in to chase after a guy swimming away from them? Then what was the plan? Tread water in a full uniform until they both drown together?

Nah. What they said, to the guy and girl was wrong. Outside of that, calling for help from a boat was about all they could do imo. It's not like they had life jackets in their squad car that they refused to throw to the guy.

We get it. You hate regular everyday cops because you view them as inferior. But your ass wouldn't have jumped in so you could drown with the guy either. Respectfully.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth, and way to make assessments on what I would or would not have done.

I don’t hate cops, no fucking idea where you would get that. Is it because I don’t get all weak kneed and woozy over them simply because they wear a uniform?

Maybe you take a fucking career ending bullet from one and give me your revised assessment?

By and large, I think some (not all) police have become absolute pricks. The hero market shifted their way, and it went to their heads (some, not all).

I speak from my own observations regarding my interactions with local police, not memes.

I would have done something, anything, to help the guy. I most likely would have shucked the belt and shoes and tried to help the guy get back to shallow water.

A police who stands by and makes fucked up comments while a human being perishes is the same prick cop that would keep his knee on the neck of an unconscious suspect, and you won’t convince me otherwise.
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:52 pm

No fucking excuse

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, and way to make assessments on what I would or would not have done.

I don’t hate cops, no fucking idea where you would get that. Is it because I don’t get all weak kneed and woozy over them simply because they wear a uniform?

Maybe you take a fucking career ending bullet from one and give me your revised assessment?

By and large, I think some (not all) police have become absolute pricks. The hero market shifted their way, and it went to their heads (some, not all).

I speak from my own observations regarding my interactions with local police, not memes.

I would have done something, anything, to help the guy. I most likely would have shucked the belt and shoes and tried to help the guy get back to shallow water.

A police who stands by and makes fucked up comments while a human being perishes is the same prick cop that would keep his knee on the neck of an unconscious suspect, and you won’t convince me otherwise.
I respect your opinion, you're certainly entitled to it, and can speak from experience.

I am far from a cop "lover", but also not a cop "hater". Until it is deserved (either way, good or bad).

I do agree with your assessment that many cops have become pricks (fwiw some might say you're a prick and you're former law enforcement, so there's that). Especially the entry level/lower level, minimum training, cops that seem to be in the middle of so many of these incidents that get national attention. It can seem to attract a certain type of individual. Based on my own interactions and experiences with them, not memes.

I definitely agree, these seem like the type of cops that would keep their knee on the neck of an unconscious suspect. These cops should lose their job for this. But not because they didn't jump in and swim after a guy swimming away from them.

Thanks for your response and input. I was only half teasing with the prick part, even though you definitely check most of the boxes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

No fucking excuse

Oof, good luck here. Back the Blue illy going to turn this thread into a 20 page meltdown
Deleted User 863

Cascadia, you really need to work on new material. The same old stuff just isn't getting the job done anymore. Broken record-ish. Too predictable.

Keep working at it. I think with your superior intelligence you'll get there someday. Best of luck to you!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:13 pm

illy going to turn this thread into a 20 page meltdown, just as he does every single fucking thread on this site
Deleted User 863

The circle jerk bros are assembling...just need Trad and the ménage à trois will be complete!

👨‍❤️‍👨👨‍❤️‍👨

Don't stay up too late boys. It's a school night!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In no particular order, the top 3 entities cops protect and serve:

- the state
- capital
- themselves

Their relationship to the people is less protective and more disciplinary.

Or is that too Qusdahl?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:08 pm In no particular order, the top 3 entities cops protect and serve:

- the state
- capital
- themselves

Or is that too Qusdahl?
My order might be:

Themselves
Each other
The rest of us
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:08 pm In no particular order, the top 3 entities cops protect and serve:

- the state
- capital
- themselves

Or is that too Qusdahl?
Dead on.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:16 pm

- the state
- capital
- themselves

Or is that too Qusdahl?
My order might be:

Themselves
Each other
The rest of us

I don’t think the third item belongs on the list
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm wondering why that person walked into the water if he cannot swim. and if he cannot swim, why did he not only walk into the water, but why did he walk into deep water.

why did this person act like this. and why at 5:00am. is it dark at 5:00am. it's dark at 5:00am where i live. i am wondering what the temperature was of that body of water at that time.

seems like that person caused his own death. i'm guessing that man would not have died had he not voluntarily walked into deep water.
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

mich, I think the term you're looking for is, "defund the police."

Put that money toward mental health/substance abuse/social workers who actually do work, rather than throwing more and more money toward a bunch of assholes who just stand around not doing shit, like the cops.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:30 am Put that money toward mental health/substance abuse/social workers who actually do work,
was there a social worker on the scene.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and man, can we talk about what a bunch of stone cold MFers it takes to just stand there and casually watch someone drown?

I remember few years back at a popular cliff jumping spot on the river. A guy jumps, and promptly pops back up in a panic, flailing around all like "HELP! HELP! I CAN'T SWIM!"

now, yea, first off all, I can't stress how dumb it is to intentionally jump into a river if you CAN'T SWIM.

there were several other people around this day, and it created quite a scene. Fortunately, his buddy was the closest to him, and already in the water, and was able to help the dumbass. Crisis averted.

It all happened pretty fast. But if no one else was around, and I just happened to come across a guy who was struggling and distressed and otherwise about to drown, I think I would have jumped in to help 10 times before I'd ever once just sit there watching.

indeed, it takes a special kind of sociopath to just sit there and watch a guy die, right?

enter cops...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:30 am Put that money toward mental health/substance abuse/social workers who actually do work,
was there a social worker on the scene.
no, there wasn't. There was a bunch of cops.

Big difference!

(pro-tip: if you're ever drowning and the cops otherwise won't help, just yell something like "I HAVE WEED ON ME" and maybe....maybe...just MAYBE then...they might jump in...

...but not to help, tho. Just to arrest you. At least drug charges would be better than drowning?)
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.