Ugh.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: serve and protect

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 pm RIP

Dude literally tried to flee running on his stumps

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/stat ... EXWyVEWglA
Dude literally stabbed someone before that - and disobeyed police commands to drop the knife.
Did the cops "need" to shoot him? Probably not.
Did the Dude "deserve" to be shot? Probably not but maybe less of a probably not than if the cops "needed" to shot him.
Bottom line..... Should we be asking ourselves - if the dude didn't stab someone and didn't disobey police commands would he have been shot at that time on that day?

On a related note, his mother called the cops earlier in the day because she was worried about him.
Cops spent 30 minutes talking to the guy - then left. I'm sure some people are going to blame the cops for something in regards to that.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh damn.

One thing to distinguish though is that, legally speaking, he didn’t stab someone yet.

He only allegedly stabbed someone, unless or until a jury finds otherwise.

Cops are supposed to just be cops, not judge jury and executioner.

But yea, this also kinda has a feel of suicide by cop.

And tho I didn’t see the moment he allegedly acted like he was gonna throw the knife, given the other circumstances of the situation, I think it might be hard for those cops to say with a straight face that they feared for their lives.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s prob a better thread for this somewhere but

https://twitter.com/ap/status/162601614 ... 3ush5ILRnQ
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In today’s edition of “the right to protest is a sign of a normally functioning democracy…”

https://twitter.com/defendatlforest/sta ... ygvCZrU_Jg
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

After reading those few sentences I truly feel like I have enough details to come to an educated conclusion on this situation.

LOL
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:21 pm In today’s edition of “the right to protest is a sign of a normally functioning democracy…”

https://twitter.com/defendatlforest/sta ... ygvCZrU_Jg
No mention in the post about denying that she was part of the group that broke a bunch of windows and set a police car on fire, as she is charged with. Just a complaint that she hasn't been provided with vegan food in prison.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 830720007/

I have no clue if she was actually involved or if they just arrested anyone who was protesting because of the crimes committed by other people. She will get her day in court and someone will need to prove her guilty.
Deleted User 863

No vegan food on jail/prison? The horror.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:24 am No vegan food on jail/prison? The horror.
The courts ordered that Qanon Shaman guy to be provided vegan food in prison, I guess they are just looking for consistency.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:33 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:24 am No vegan food on jail/prison? The horror.
The courts ordered that Qanon Shaman guy to be provided vegan food in prison, I guess they are just looking for consistency.
People in jail should get the bare minimum in my opinion.

What's the difference between choosing to be vegan and choosing to only eat fried chicken and/or steak? Both are choices based on preferences. If it's not a true medical need then no sympathy from me for not getting what they want in jail.

It's not that hard to stay out of jail. I eat what I want as a free person.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Prison is not a vacation. Yoi get what they serve. Eat it or don't.

Unless, of course, you're in Norway....where the prison cells are significantly nicer than most of the places I lived in my 20s.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what’s that old quote about how the best way to measure a society is by how they treat their prisoners?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... oting-911/

…When Nakala Murry, the boy’s mother, told the officer that no one in the house was armed, the officer yelled out that anyone in the home should come out with their hands up, Moore said.

Even though Aderrien adhered to the officer’s commands and had his hands up, Capers shot him in the chest, according to the family and Moore.

“His words were: ‘Why did he shoot me? What did I do?’ and he started crying,” the boy’s mother said at a news conference this week…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:31 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... oting-911/

…When Nakala Murry, the boy’s mother, told the officer that no one in the house was armed, the officer yelled out that anyone in the home should come out with their hands up, Moore said.

Even though Aderrien adhered to the officer’s commands and had his hands up, Capers shot him in the chest, according to the family and Moore.

“His words were: ‘Why did he shoot me? What did I do?’ and he started crying,” the boy’s mother said at a news conference this week…
An unarmed 11-year-old Black boy in Mississippi was shot by a police officer after he called 911 to report a domestic disturbance to try to protect his mother, his family’s attorney said...

The boy was given a cellphone by his mother and told to call the police during a domestic disturbance involving the father of another one of her children, Moore said. After the child called 911, an Indianola police officer who was identified by the attorney as Greg Capers “had his gun blazing” upon arrival at the home at around 4 a.m., Moore said...

And we wonder why Black people don't trust the police...

I'll go out on a limb and guess that if this had been a Black police officer who shot an 11 y/o white kid who was totally compliant and had his hands up, this would be a bigger story.

It's never occurred to me until now how ungrateful I've been that, at the age of 8, I didn't get shot by the policeman who responded after I run to my neighbor's house ~ 1 am to ask them to call the police, because my father was beating my mother and threatening to kill her. But then, why would I, I'm white.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:26 am jfc

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna95808
Yeah, I heard about that. Not good. No freaking clue why that cop felt the need to inject themselves and their dog into the situation as it was completely handled at that point.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:12 pm

Yeah, I heard about that. Not good. No freaking clue why that cop felt the need to inject themselves and their dog into the situation as it was completely handled at that point.
in addition (and likely playing into the dog situation), there was apparently multiple conflicting orders being given by different officers
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

This dude called 911 and told them he was afraid to pull over. Wonder why.
Defense. Rebounds.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I sure hope they do not lose that 911 recording
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:19 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:12 pm

in addition (and likely playing into the dog situation), there was apparently multiple conflicting orders being given by different officers
In addition yet, the fact another cop was yelling at the one cop to NOT escalate with the dog, but he does anyway