Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: serve and protect

Post by Deleted User 863 »

So. Much. Dumb.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

pro tip: if you cannot swim, stay out of the water.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:46 am pro tip: if you cannot swim, stay out of the water.
Seems like he could swim well enough to swim away from them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:41 am So. Much. Dumb.
yeah, it IS dumb.

The Tempe police budget is $104 million (for a population of around 200k)

that's a $7 million INCREASE since the 2020 protests calling to defund the police.

https://www.wranglernews.com/2021/06/14 ... -complete/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:47 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:46 am pro tip: if you cannot swim, stay out of the water.
Seems like he could swim well enough to swim away from them.
just wait til the "pro-life" crowd gets wind of these cops!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Officers seemed to not be interested in helping this guy out, not believing that he was having issues, not interested in the hassle of getting their uniforms and equipment wet and interested in potentially risking their lives.

It didn't sound like the guy was running from the cops so I doubt he would have fought the rescue attempt that he was specifically requesting. Some cops who take their professional motto of "protect and serve" seriously would have tried to save him but unfortunately this guy drew some cops that don't. My guess is that they get a few weeks of paid administrative leave and then resume failing to protect and serve their community as if nothing happened while a wife buries her husband. A lot of suck all around.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, as I alluded to with the weed comment, if he WAS running from the cops, they would have likely gone in after him.

but yea, I think these cops are weighing some "told you so" more heavily than any duty (whether as a cop or just as a decent human being) to not just stand there and watch a guy drown.

They could have been on the news for some feel-good "heroic cops save idiot from drowning" kinda story. But instead they all doubled down on some "cops stand idly and ignore pleas as they watch man drown."

and yet we still think Qusdahl's the kooky one for saying things like ACAB.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

also, re: "non-disciplinary administrative paid leave"

how many other careers afford you that shit?

Most folks would just call that a vacation.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:00 am well, as I alluded to with the weed comment, if he WAS running from the cops, they would have likely gone in after him.
By swimming after him? LOL
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, good chance they'd just shoot at him instead.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'll once again share the story of my buddy who got caught garage hopping in high school.

Homeowner catches him in the act and calls the cops.

Officer shows up, and casually tells my bud "oh btw, if you try to run, I won't chase you...but this guy will *affectionately rubs side arm*

that's right - a cop threatened fatal force against a high school kid for trying to steal beers. Think about that.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 am
It didn't sound like the guy was running from the cops so I doubt he would have fought the rescue attempt that he was specifically requesting.
Did you watch the video? He didn't request help until he realized he couldn't swim quite as far as he thought. He'd have drowned himself and the cop if the cop went in after him without help nearby. It's not that easy to tread water for two people, or to keep yourself above water when a drowning person is pulling you under.

The cops should be fired for what they said, but not for not swimming after a crazy guy.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:15 am I'll once again share the story of my buddy who got caught garage hopping in high school.

Homeowner catches him in the act and calls the cops.

Officer shows up, and casually tells my bud "oh btw, if you try to run, I won't chase you...but this guy will *affectionately rubs side arm*

that's right - a cop threatened fatal force against a high school kid trying to steal beers. Think about that.
Story time! Yay!

Sounds super believable. The kid who didn't run from a homeowner who couldn't possibly keep him there against his will...suddenly runs from a cop after hanging around waiting for the cops to arrive? LOL

Quick, add more details!

The homeowner was actually an off duty cop who kneeled on his neck with a gun to his head until the on duty cops got there, right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...but do you doubt the cop threatened to shoot the kid?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

some real classy takes by tweedle dumb and tweedle dee so far in this thread

though, not surprising
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if you REALLY want story time details, it was that this homeowner's kid was a D1 athlete, and had several of his jock friends over for a BBQ (not like barbecue barbecue, just like burgers and brats, but you know what I mean. They were hanging out in the back yard, and my idiot friend tried to flee thru the back. So the dad yelled to stop him, and all the athletes with better conditioning and superior wingspan were able to corner my buddy before he was able to hop the big backyard fence.

but for the record, I like totally was NOT the one wondering where my buddy with the beer was at, then sitting nervously in the getaway car up the block as cops arrived.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i doubt everything that comes out of your keyboard.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh so mich thinks I WAS driving the getaway car.

but, dangit, you got me!

my buddy said the D1 athletes were soccer players, and it's not like you need wingspan when you aren't even allowed to put your hands on the ball.

plot twist - he must've been the goalie!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

on second thought, I doubt this story now too.

NO WAY soccer players would be badass enough to pursue a fleeing thief.

They woulda just flopped about it then rolled around in the backyard feigning injury instead.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:21 am ...but do you doubt the cop threatened to shoot the kid?
It's a made up story.

When homeowners come out while kids are garage hopping, the kids run, the homeowners call the cops.

The kids don't say "darn it, you got me, I'll wait here while you call the cops".