serve and protect

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: serve and protect

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Here's the longer version...

They walk out on the boardwalk.

"Pretty sure there are turbines at the base of the dam that could suck him under" is what someone says to one of the officers. Looks like a security guard on a bike.

https://youtu.be/PvlJh24H66I
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i wonder if the man and woman were on the drugs.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:22 pm i wonder if the man and woman were on the drugs.
Were they homeless? I've seen conflicting reports.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

The cops were actually polite and calm with him. At least until he got in the water.

Makes me wonder if they incorrectly thought he was fucking around, until he went under and it was too late?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well if things like homelessness and substance abuse were factors, just imagine if we sent social workers with training in things like substance abuse and mental health services.

but instead, we just send a bunch of Porky Pigs to stand around and waste that $104 million dollar budget Tempe afforded them.
Deleted User 863

My wife does social work. A social worker was just murdered in a town near meny a crazy person while doing a wellness check. Stabbed dozens of times. Now her children don't have a mother.

Definitely good to have more social workers present in these situations, but they'd need the "porky pigs" with them for protection.

Easy to sit and criticize people with difficult jobs while you check people in at the resort or sit on the dock with your bobber in the water.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the social workers were coming on the boat that the police called. they didn't get there in time.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:40 pm the social workers were coming on the boat that the police called. they didn't get there in time.
Sad situation. Wish they'd have gotten there sooner.

Ambulances. Firefighters. Cops. They don't just appear. It takes time.

I wish the guy hadn't swam out there. Decisions have consequences. He made a decision that cost him his life. For what? The cops were being nice to him up until the point the videos cut off. They weren't being aggressive or threatening.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

cops DID appear here, though.

no time was needed.

Protection and service was needed!

But instead of any protection or service, that guy got spite.

Cops weren't being aggressive or threatening, but they WERE being spiteful enough to stand there and twiddle their thumbs while they watch a guy drown. I dunno which is worse.

(just wait til the pro-life crowd gets wind of this!)
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:51 pm

What about the pro-choice crowd? Guy made a choice to swim out in the lake.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this episode is mostly a reminder not to walk into the water at 5:00am and go into deep water if you cannot swim.

cautionary tale.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm

is that a whataboutism AND a strawman?
Deleted User 863

It's very unsafe to swim near a dam.

https://www.pacificorp.com/community/sa ... -dams.html

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2015/06/c ... rts%20said.

"The dangerous currents near dams span the width of a large body of water, making them more difficult to escape.

In addition to being trapped in the currents, the water is dangerous because people can suffer hypothermia or get hit by debris - logs, trash, tires - that are also stuck in the currents, experts said."
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:57 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm

is that a whataboutism AND a strawman?
Just following your lead, Q.

Leftover bbq for lunch again?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:52 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:48 am

A lake is not a burning building. That is ridiculous.
A lake is not an earthquake. That is ridiculous.

This is fun!
I wasn't involved in any discussion about earthquakes so leave that toddler nonsense to that person.
i was just applying the same level of failed logic as tweedle dum and tweedle dee…aka, it’s his fault for being in the water in the first place
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:02 pm i was just applying the same level of failed logic as tweedle dum and tweedle dee…aka, it’s his fault for being in the water in the first place
i'll bite.

if it not HIS fault that HE is IN the WATER in the FIRST place. whose IS it.

did the police throw him in the water. did his disgruntled wife.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:05 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:02 pm i was just applying the same level of failed logic as tweedle dum and tweedle dee…aka, it’s his fault for being in the water in the first place
i'll bite.

why’d he even go into the water?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:02 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:52 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am
A lake is not an earthquake. That is ridiculous.

This is fun!
I wasn't involved in any discussion about earthquakes so leave that toddler nonsense to that person.
i was just applying the same level of failed logic as tweedle dum and tweedle dee…aka, it’s his fault for being in the water in the first place
The assumption that they were applying some sort of logic may have been where you went off track... oh well. The amount of "Fuck that guy, he got what he had coming to him" that goes on in this nation is so gross. The stunning lack of empathy and lack of expectation of service to the community by officers is just sad.

Some people suck. I need to accept it but I don't want to. Then I have to shelve my own personal empathy for the plight of those that are suffering and expectations of a basic level of behavior by those given the power to protect and serve and I cannot bring myself to do that. So I'll just continue to be sad that I even have to argue with someone over such a disgusting lack of empathy or responsibility by a police officer.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:08 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:05 pm
i'll bite.

why’d he even go into the water?
Who cares? Maybe he was wasted. Maybe he has mental problems. Maybe he is just a moron. Does it matter?