Indoctrination Centers

Ugh.
DrPepper

Re: Indoctrination Centers

Post by DrPepper »

I do not know where the line is drawn. My tax dollars pay for the street and the firefighters to protect the church at the corner. The kids going to the religious school on another nearby street get the benefit of tax-provided busing. The Catholic High School provides the same NY Regents High School diploma and gives the same NY State tests (it also holds a mass about once a month, has daily prayer, a required religion class, etc).
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Q: Can I use a Pell Grant (free govt money) at a religious college?
A: Yes

Annotation: The courts have recognized that adults attend college and children attend K-12. Thus the difference.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i wonder, would the rulings be the same if it were a muslim coach praying from the koran, or a muslim school looking for tax-payer dollars?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:55 am This Supreme Court is driving us backwards at a rapid pace and is now an openly political sham.
Lulz.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:01 pm i wonder, would the rulings be the same if it were a muslim coach praying from the koran, or a muslim school looking for tax-payer dollars?
Of course not.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The US is not-a-theocracy-in-name-only. Our policies are no different than those of Saudi Arabia or Iran. Maybe a little bit- we have good microbreweries and bourbon distilleries.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

The US of A is the worst.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:23 pm I do not know where the line is drawn. My tax dollars pay for the street and the firefighters to protect the church at the corner. The kids going to the religious school on another nearby street get the benefit of tax-provided busing. The Catholic High School provides the same NY Regents High School diploma and gives the same NY State tests (it also holds a mass about once a month, has daily prayer, a required religion class, etc).
In theory, if states are violating the Constitution by ruling that these funds cannot exclude religious schools because it discriminates against them then how is it that the federal government can grant funding to primarily low income school districts? Isn't that "discrimination" as well (by this absurd scale)?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... 022-06-28/

U.S. Supreme Court takes aim at separation of church and state

WASHINGTON, June 28 (Reuters) - The conservative-majority U.S. Supreme Court has chipped away at the wall separating church and state in a series of new rulings, eroding American legal traditions intended to prevent government officials from promoting any particular faith.

In three decisions in the past eight weeks, the court has ruled against government officials whose policies and actions were taken to avoid violating the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment prohibition on governmental endorsement of religion - known as the "establishment clause."

The court on Monday backed a Washington state public high school football coach who was suspended by a local school district for refusing to stop leading Christian prayers with players on the field after games.

On June 21, it endorsed taxpayer money paying for students to attend religious schools under a Maine tuition assistance program in rural areas lacking nearby public high schools.

On May 2, it ruled in favor of a Christian group that sought to fly a flag emblazoned with a cross at Boston city hall under a program aimed at promoting diversity and tolerance among the city's different communities.

Cornell Law School professor Michael Dorf said the court's majority appears skeptical of government decision-making premised on secularism.

"They regard secularism, which for centuries has been the liberal world's understanding of what it means to be neutral, as itself a form of discrimination against religion," Dorf said of the conservative justices...
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

none of that affects/effects my life. therefore i won't care.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

then why’d you post about it?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I would contribute to an organization who would test these rulings’ reach using Islamic and Pastafarian examples, to demonstrate how the “Justice’s” thinking is based more on theocratic beliefs and less on legal principles.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

zsn wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:27 pm I would contribute to an organization who would test these rulings’ and Pastafarian examples,
do pastafarians devote their live to pasta. do they pray to the god of pasta. if so, count me in. i love pasta of all varieties and shapes and sizes and color. i don't care how the pasta identifies. i like it.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'll be damned. it is. pastafarians pray to spaghetti. awesome.

it's a good day when i can learn something new.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

two more posts, mich?

i thought you didn’t care
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i care for pasta very much.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Who knew that Mich has been touched by His Noodly Appendage!!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

First they lied under oath during their confirmation hearing, now they are lying from the Bench. Is anyone surprised?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:00 pm ...

Cornell Law School professor Michael Dorf said the court's majority appears skeptical of government decision-making premised on secularism.

"They regard secularism, which for centuries has been the liberal world's understanding of what it means to be neutral, as itself a form of discrimination against religion," Dorf said of the conservative justices...[/i]
I have been told numerous times by a very religious relative that I am arrogant for believing that religion is not something that I need in my life to form positive values of right and wrong. I have been told numerous times by said person that anyone who believes that the Word of God should not be what forms the rules of our society should not be in our society and that anyone so stupid as to believe what is plainly obvious, that God is awesome for all, is violating her Freedom of Religion.