Flight Cancellations

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Flight Cancellations

Post by TDub »

Illy is speaking of infectious disease spread potential. In my mind its more mental health. I'd lose my mind being stuck in a building in a downtown city like that.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:11 pm After covid no chance in hell i am living in a large apartment building with shared air/spaces with dozen/hundreds/thousands of people.
Interesting. Or maybe I should say fortunate.
I live in a building with over 550 apartments. A day care center. Doctor's offices. A public parking garage. Etc.
I work in a building with a hotel, stores, restaurants, apartments, offices, a health club, etc.
I have traveled on airplanes and stayed in hotels.
I have attended concerts and sporting events with literally collectively over a million other people.

To the best of my knowledge I never had Covid. At least not in the past 2 years.
Hmmm.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:09 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:11 pm After covid no chance in hell i am living in a large apartment building with shared air/spaces with dozen/hundreds/thousands of people.
I live in a building with over 550 apartments. A day care center. Doctor's offices. A public parking garage. Etc.
I work in a building with a hotel, stores, restaurants, apartments, offices, a health club, etc.
I have attended concerts and sporting events with literally collectively over a million other people.

To the best of my knowledge I never had Covid. At least not in the past 2 years.
Hmmm.
It's not covid. It's our ability to react to something like covid.

If the next pandemic is highly deadly AND highly contagious, big cities will be decimated.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:53 pm

Hmmm.

If the next pandemic is highly deadly AND highly contagious, big cities will be decimated.
Right! Collectively as a country, in many ways, we reacted to Covid like a bunch of fucking morons. BOTH urban and rural residents included.
We all had the ability to be much smarter. No matter where we lived.
NOT funny is that I knew multiple people who died of Covid that lived in rural areas and thankfully just one who lived in an urban area. I wondered if that was the norm and found.......

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... e-covid-19

https://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/new ... ral-areas/
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:40 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:53 pm

Hmmm.

Right! Collectively as a country, in many ways, we reacted to Covid like a bunch of fucking morons. BOTH urban and rural residents included.
We all had the ability to be much smarter. No matter where we lived.
NOT funny is that I knew multiple people who died of Covid that lived in rural areas and thankfully just one who lived in an urban area. I wondered if that was the norm and found.......

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... e-covid-19

https://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/new ... ral-areas/
Absolutely covid hit rural areas too....but it's easier to simply avoid people if there are less of them. The reason covid was worse than it should have been in rural areas is because those were filled with a significant amount of the people who didn't give a fuck or try to socially isolate/distance.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Here is my blah, blah, blah, response.
No doubt it is easier to avoid people if there are less of them. Not doubt in regards to where I would feel less likely to contract Covid (or other viruses) would be living in a rural area. As I said, "maybe I should say fortunate". I realize I have been fortunate because the majority of people living in the city have contacted Covid at some point and time.

In regards to advantages and disadvantages of living in rural vs. urban areas, if I was shot or had any other medical emergency that needed immediate attention, I would rather live/be two blocks from a good hospital in an urban area than 20+ miles away from a hospital in a rural area.
Obviously health and medically speaking, there are advantages and disadvantages of living in rural and urban areas.
I 100% respect those who don't want to live in urban areas and in high rise apartment buildings. There are many times I miss living in the suburbs.
But..... living in the city is what I feel is best FOR ME at this time in my life. Just as my mother made that decision 20 or so years ago when she decided to move from Highland Park to Chicago.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thata totally fine Gutman. People have different needs, different circumstances, different lives.

Don't think anyone was arguing that, or the choice to do so. My argument was with those who would suggest eliminating the choice.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Maybe it’s the sensitivity of one’s own situation in relation to the other but I don’t think anyone is arguing that one shouldn’t have the choice as to where (rural vs urban) to live. I think many cases apparent conflicts are exacerbated when one group believes that they are unfairly subsidizing the other’s choice.

Objectively it’s probably accurate that areas of higher population (states with large urban areas) are subsidizing areas of low population (states with largely rural population).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how many people would rather live in an urban vs. rural or rural vs. urban community, but due to lack of economic mobility and opportunity and whatever other factors, are stuck where they are.

for someone to say "I could NEVER live in the other place" takes a certain amount of privilege.
Deleted User 863

Coming from someone privileged enough to choose to move to a high cost of living area and then turnaround and complain about it constantly.

Lulz.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:31 pm Illy is speaking of infectious disease spread potential. In my mind its more mental health. I'd lose my mind being stuck in a building in a downtown city like that.
and to my previous point - I wonder how many people PREFER to be stuck in a building downtown, vs how many people would rather be anywhere but, but for the economic pressures, lack of say in one's own workplace, etc.

and as for loosing one's mind, is it that mental health issues really are on the rise as a matter of a bunch of randomly occurring and otherwise unrelated instances of individual illness, or is it that the systems created for us tend to be so inhumane that it's prone to making folks mentally ill.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if someone is living where they don't want to live. and they cannot afford to move. they should get a first job. or a second job if they already have one.

lots of job openings out there.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:13 pm I wonder how many people would rather live in an urban vs. rural or rural vs. urban community, but due to lack of economic mobility and opportunity and whatever other factors, are stuck where they are.

for someone to say "I could NEVER live in the other place" takes a certain amount of privilege.
I think that can be true. But I dont think its necessarily true in a generic sense. A lot of people choose lower pay in exchange for living in areas they would prefer to live. They sacrifice some things for other things, its all choices. I could be making significantly more had I stayed working with my employer in Seattle...but, that commute sucks, thay city sucks, and being stuck around all those people...sucks.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^^
i reconsider living/working where i do almost daily
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

It all goes back to population. Reduce the number of people, and we don't need so much food, have more parks and wild places to visit.

Industrial farming can be incredibly efficient, but I can't stand all the packaging and other chemicals involved. And when it comes to the animals, that is a pretty sucky life for them.

As far as dairy goes, I got weaned when I was a toddler just like all other mammals. I do not drink another animal's milk. That is seriously gross. The dairy industry is one of the worst (well, hard to say as there are so many bad ones) with a long history of doing things poorly for profit and using the government to help get its way. I think it royally sucks (double pun) that in the US our tax dollars help the private dairy farmer get their product placed into more products. And the system is physically dirty too. Those tanks of milk should be labeled with hazardous waste labels. As someone who has worked with hazardous waste, I really do not know why they are not labeled as such.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

My community has a Tool Library. I think it is a super awesome thing. I borrowed a rotor tiller year. And I have borrowed lots of other things as I need them. That way, I do not have to buy them nor STORE THEM IN A GARAGE or basement. They only carry electric/battery operated tools which, in my neck of the woods, is generated by hydropower. Hydro is not perfect, but pretty good. Not everyone has Niagara Falls in their backyard nor ancestors that stole it from the natives (and, we now share at least some of the profits with the Six Nations).
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Public transportation and walkability were Very strong considerations when I last purchased a house.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

plus that 2.5 car garage is pretty sweet.

you should rent that out to Ousdahl..I hear he's looking for a place.
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I rent out my second and third floors. The garage is extra. There is space available if you want to rent it. The half portion of the garage is for bike storage. I loan and store bikes for free.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

As it turns out, you may be shocked to learn, people enjoy living in a walkable area with decent public transportation.